Join Early Retirement Today

Re: One Paycheck To Go...
Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

C-T: Thats almost exactly my day! Exactly! I really enjoy the part about making dinner with your wife
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Me too! I hate to state what everybody else says, but "I have no idea where the time goes." I am going to volunteer at the base pharmacy for one day a week. DW says, why don't you just get a job and get paid? My answer is, I don't want a job, just to help out at my conveinence. Can't imagine having a 3 o'clock, the euphemism for a meeting. My 3 o'clock involves a nap!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
I really enjoy the part about making dinner with your wife
Sounds like it's time to buy some more groceries...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Can you imagine how fat and bored you'd become just laying on the beach.
Don't fret, Dog, I lost 25 pounds "just" laying on my longboard. And the view on the waves is much better than on the beach. I've always preferred dynamic action to static displays anyway.

My "routine" is similar. My spouse & kid are usually abed by 9 PM so I have incentives to be in the master suite by then too, but that means I'm awake by 4 AM.

A couple cups of green tea while reading the local surf forecast, Hawaii discussion boards, & online newspapers.

A cup of coffee over e-mail, the financial news, FundAlarm, and M*'s boards. Consider investments or update the Quicken files.

20-30 minutes of sretching and/or tae kwon do poomse.

Around 6 AM-- breakfast (with the ER boards for dessert). By 6:30 AM the rest of the house is stirring and it's time to get the kid off to school. Clean up the kitchen among the whirlwind of getting the kid out the door.

By 7:30 we're usually doing yardwork or outdoor honey-dos. Rush hour is usually down by 8 AM and it's safe to go to the beach.

More yardwork until ~10 AM (hey, it gets hot & sweaty) or surf until 11-12 (somehow that's not hot & sweaty). Shower & clean up.

Lunch and maybe a 30-minute nap. Plan other projects or go shopping for parts to fix the stuff you broke during the morning chores.

If it's not a shopping/errands day then laze around reading. (One unexpected advantage of ER is the quiet in a retail store during the middle of the day in the middle of the week.) Maybe tackle an indoor chore like sewing, laundry, cleaning, car care, or home improvement. Around 3 PM the household mentally girds for the return of the Hurricane Kid.

Spend the rest of the afternoon discussing the school day's crises and planning the evening (around homework & projects). While the kids needs you "available", work on the mail or on the non-profit's paperwork for 20-30 minutes. Gracefully extract yourself from teen angst to start dinner.

4:40 PM Tue/Thu/Fri-- drive to kid's tae kwon do practice. Take 800 mg of ibuprofen & start warming up for your own 6 PM TKD session. Stagger home around 7:30 to shower, clean up, & settle down. Decide once again that you really didn't want that frosty beverage anyway.

Mon/Wed/Sat/Sun evenings-- enjoy a leisurely dinner ("Bye, Dad, I'll be hanging out planning worthy activities with the gang kids!!") and a neighborhood stroll. Clean up the kitchen (again). Chat with parents-in-law (guess where you'll be doing chores tomorrow) or cringe over your frosty beverage when spouse asks "Wouldn't it look nice if we..."

My point is that in ER you're responsible for your own entertainment and you can't blame the office for overcommitments-- it's your own fault now if you're tired and/or sore. Every day will plan itself, some of them will include your planning contributions, and time will fly by. Don't worry-- if the retirement stress starts to eat at you then you can always go get a REAL job.

REW, are you showing up at work with a "Days Remaining:" countdown painted on your forehead yet? Or are you going to be the classy type who just disappears and leaves his co-workers to ask a couple months later "Hey, have you seen REW lately? Where's he been?!?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
REW, are you showing up at work with a "Days Remaining:" countdown painted on your forehead yet?
I had a small whiteboard hung outside my office with a countdown on it. I left a pen hanging there.

Really amusing some of the things that were written on that board...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Start perparing dinner for my wife.
And TH:
Quote:
Thats almost exactly my day! Exactly! I really enjoy the part about making dinner with your wife
and Nords:
Quote:
Sounds like it's time to buy some more groceries...
So what's for dinner? We haven't had recipes for a while. I'm hungry and I skipped lunch today.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We've been subsiding on chicken liver pate, brie and olives the past few evenings, although I roasted two 5lb chickens stuffed with preserved lemons and garlic cloves, so we'll be eating leftover chicken for a while. We just finished off a spinach and four cheese omelette, potato pancakes and french toast (hey, I just got up 2 hours ago...)
Old 05-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Baked White Trout, Home made potato salad, cole slaw - free - guest chef (a young 63 yr old we've known for thirty years). My kind of frugal- er ah cheap.

Me and the dog went out and bought a bag of lemons by way of going to the Pass to watch the sailboats headed out early for the Gulf and the Old Car club display/ picnic at the State Park.

I may - I say - may volunteer for dish duty afterward.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Two good uses for too many lemons (or any other citrus fruit for that matter). We have a lemon and lime tree, and even after giving them away like crazy we have too many.

Wash. Slice 1/4" thick. Line them neatly in layers in a large clean sealable plastic or glass jar or other container. Between each layer sprinkle a few teaspoons of coarse kosher salt. Use plenty of salt, there is no such thing as "too much" for this, but too little can be a problem. When the jar is pretty much full, put a potato masher or similar tool in there and press. If there isnt enough juice to cover all of the contents, juice a few more of whatever citrus you're using and add the juice to cover. Seal jar airtight. Put it on the counter for about 3-4 weeks, gently shake the jar once a day or so. Add a half to one inch of olive oil and refrigerate for up to one year. It should look like a bunch of sliced lemons floating in juice. If any funny colored stuff shows up inside or on top, you didnt use enough salt. I usually put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of salt in a half gallon plastic container.

This will sound a lot more disgusting than it is. The pulp turns jelly-like and the rind softens. The entire thing is edible but...do not...I repeat...do not...eat any of this plain. Chop them up and add to Tagines or other stews where they'll slow cook a while and you want a lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit and salt flavoring. Place inside a cleaned fish or on top of a filet. Stuff inside a chicken. The entire thing becomes edible in a stew...discard after cooking in any other application.

For the ones you're just juicing, use a very sharp potato peeler or zester to remove the zest before cutting in half and juicing. As much of the colored part of the peel and as little of the white pith as possible. Drain off some vodka from a new bottle. I'm sure all y'all can figure out what to do with the drained off vodka. Nothing fancy needed here, I use smirnoff. Add the zest. Over time, you can continue to add more zest. Shake the bottle once a day. After about 2-3 weeks the vodka will take on the color of the zest and the zest will lose its color. When its bright yellow/orange/green depending on the citrus you used (about a month), pour it through a cone coffee filter (or other fine filtration device you want to fool around with), clean the bottle, replace the citrus vodka back in the bottle, add a quarter to half cup of sugar. Shake until the sugar dissolves. Freeze and drink neat or over ice. The lemon growing region of Italy calls the lemon version "lemoncello" or "limoncello". Unfortunately more than one or two shots of it and you start feeling like you're drinking furniture polish.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Drain off some vodka from a new bottle...The lemon growing region of Italy calls the lemon version "limoncello".
Also, instead of using Vodka, you may also use grain alcohol which is the preferred liquid in Italy for limoncello.* You need only keep the zest in grain alcohol for about a week before removing the zest.

It is important to store this in the freezer in a frosted bottle.* It will never freeze and you always want to serve it directly out of the freezer.* I always have a bottle of this stuff in my freezer.* It's my favorite afterdinner drink.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Seems like a lot of work to get tanked! Of course this comes from someone who drinks "right price filtered rum" with diet coke.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
So what's for dinner?* We haven't had recipes for a while.
Thai food!

These staple dishes are all over the internet and not fussy about preparation or even ingredients:* khao soi (recipes vary as long as it's spicy) with mango sticky rice for dessert.* (Hey, is this Sawatdee place near you?)

On a Chiang Mai street corner this meal would cost you about 25 baht...

We're planning a three-month fantasy empty-nester Thailand trip, including a basic immersion language school and some cooking classes. Of course we'll be waiting until 2010, but hopefully the dollar will be stronger.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #33

Quote:
(Hey, is this Sawatdee place near you?)
Nords,

Yes, I eaten at a few of their places in the Minneapolis Area. Great Food, albiet a little on the pricey side.I like their Spring Egg Rolls.
They've gone 'Too American'. You can tell this, becuase they have 3 or 4 of their places throughout the Metro area.

I prefer the Mom and Pop owned Vietnamese places that sprouted up here during the 70's. I've eaten at one for about 25 years now, that has the Best Oriental food I've ever tasted. Very Inexpensive and nothing more than a small hole in the wall cafe! :P
Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Love Thai food and Veitnamese food. My DH makes such a good fish sauce that many restaurant preparations are tasteless to me now.

CT, can I beg off of you the name/location of the Veitnamese restaurant you like? We always used to go to one in St. Paul on University Avenue we loved, had the best spring rolls and soups, but it closed a few years ago. It too was just a hole in the wall that opened up in the 70s.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I prefer the Mom and Pop owned Vietnamese places that sprouted up here during the 70's. I've eaten at one for about 25 years now, that has the Best Oriental food I've ever tasted. Very Inexpensive and nothing more than a small hole in the wall cafe! :P
Same here. You know you're in the right place when the tables are set with chopsticks and there's not a fork in sight...

Old 05-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #36

Martha,

It's called the Saigon Resturant. It's located on 38th St. and Grand Ave. in South Minneapolis. - There are some other unrelated 'Saigon Restuarants' in the Twin Cities that are not the 'Real Deal'. So make sure you go to the one on 38th St.

Try the number 73 - Spicy Cashew Chicken. Order it 2X spicy. - It will change your life! :P - Also order some of their Egg Rolls outstanding!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Love Thai food and Veitnamese food.* My DH makes such a good fish sauce that many* restaurant preparations are tasteless to me now.
Would DH let you pass that recipe on to us? I would really enjoy some more good sauces. Especially sauces that might be good on steamed or poached fish.

Mikey
Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
REW, are you showing up at work with a "Days Remaining:" countdown painted on your forehead yet? Or are you going to be the classy type who just disappears and leaves his co-workers to ask a couple months later "Hey, have you seen REW lately? Where's he been?!?"
Nords, no claims to class here. No "Days Remaining" countdown on my forehead, just a sustained wall-to-wall grin on my face communicating the same message.

Oriental food and booze recipes? Man, can you guys hijack a thread or what!

REW, 8 days to eR

Old 05-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

My sauce is pretty close to CT's but mixes up the spices a little:

1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 bunch scallions finely chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
2 T fish sauce
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 teaspoon each: ground ginger,tumeric,cayenne and coriander
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cinnamon stick broken in half

My favorite combo with this sauce is scallops or shrimp and asparagus, but chicken and broccoli etc work well also.

Cook vegetables until crisp,tender (with asparagus good to boil it about 5 minutes).
Cook scallops or chicken in about 2 T or less oil until done.
Add vegetable and sauce and cook about 3 minutes until sauce gets thick/glossy. Toss out the cinnammon stick before serving.

It's a bit spicy. To tone it down cut cayenne down to what is comfortable.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #40

Quote:
It is important to store this in the freezer in a frosted bottle.
Here's something you gotta try -- it's a big hit at a party. We do this for Swedish parties with snaps (not schnapps).

Boil some water and let it cool. Then put the water in a 2-qt OJ container, stick the bottle in the container, and set the whole thing upright in the freezer.

The next day, you can pull the block of ice with the enclosed bottle out of the OJ container. Because you boiled the water, it will be crystal clear.