Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My mother served liver once a week when I was growing up. I like it now, of course.
I didn't like it then, don't eat it now.

But other than that, I have always liked most things. Not much has changed over the years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Girls.

When I was 5 I was certain I'd never like them. They were yucky.

Sometimes change is very good.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #23

I have heard your taste buds "change" every seven years or so. I still DETEST green bell peppers!! Mom's green pepper casserole and stuffed bell peppers are as horrific as anyone else's! My brother got out of eating broccoli forever when he yakked it all over the kitchen table during dinner. That taught them! He still does not do broccoli! I do eat onions and eggs as an adult. But, I don't have to drink milk, or not eat all the fruit anymore!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #24

I am one of those people that read the menu and order the ostrich steak or alligator bits. I have always been adventurous in my eating. Traveling around the world has helped me feed this quirk of mine.

I like:
liver (of all types, chicken, pork, calves, beef, fish, ...etc)
brains
sweetbreads
kidneys
fish heads
chicken feet
pigs feet
head cheese
eels
sushi
kimchi
alligator
kangaroo
scorpions
grasshoppers
... what have I missed?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I am one of those people that read the menu and order the ostrich steak or alligator bits. I have always been adventurous in my eating. Traveling around the world has helped me feed this quirk of mine.....
Hey, I'm with you! I'll try just about anything once...not that I'll always try it again! But I like most things that I've tried ('cept liver & brains...liver due to taste, and brains mostly due to texture...or lack thereof). I do find many things are "OK", but I prefer to eat more of what I like rather than what is just "OK".

BTW...I have ostrich burger in the frij even as I type this....love ostrich! Also love 'gator and crawfish...and escargot.....geez, now I'm hungry again! Dang it!

I was with a group of friends several years ago in very poor area of a 3rd world country, and on our way back to his place after lunch, he asked if I'd ever eaten monkey. I said I hadn't, and he said that he'd bet money on it that I had! Sometimes ignorance is bliss, although whatever it was that I ate that day was certainly good....strangely though I developed a craving for bananas!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I used to love broccoli, fresh, in stir fry, smothered with cheese sauce, or just plain with butter. I grew it in my garden for years.
These days I find I have lost my taste for it completely unless it is really crunchy and flavored with sesame oil or soy sauce.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned to like tomatoes, oysters and cheese. I never learned to like
milk
green peas ( I also swallowed them whole)
brussel sprout
cooked carrots
black eyed peas
lima beans
liver or other organ meat
lamb
wild birds (dove/quail)
venison
I was forced by my mother to eat everything on my plate as well causing some very unpleasant dinners and still have issues leaving food on the plate. I ceased to eat anything I did not like when I turned 13 and got up the nerve to say make me. End of problem. Now when mom comes over I occasionally serve cole slaw,food with hot peppers or some other item she hates and then withhold dessert from her if she does not clean her plate. Ha
She sneaks it later,,,but so did I!
2fer
PS: My sister has a son who eats everything and always has. She started when he was young telling him that he did not have to eat anything he did not like as they were foods that only grown ups liked.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I hated carrots as a child. I had to eat everything on my plate if I wanted to watch TV after dinner. I would take a big breath, chewed the carrots without breathing and washed them down with a glass of water. I like carrots now. Both cooked and raw. I don't know when I changed my mind about carrots.

Once I grew up, I found out my mom had a lot of food dislikes I was not aware of. She fed us the foods she didn't like herself, and if I remember correctly, she ate all the same food with us. Probably because of that, I have a wide range of things I enjoy eating.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
PS: My sister has a son who eats everything and always has. She started when he was young telling him that he did not have to eat anything he did not like as they were foods that only grown ups liked.
A little reverse psychology can do amazing things!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was a picky eater as a kid. I have a lot of memories of stand-offs with my parents.

I grew out of my pickiness in my 20s. Ironically, I came to view my parents as picky eaters.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

CAUTION: dont read this thread during lunch!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
My brother got out of eating broccoli forever when he yakked it all over the kitchen table during dinner. That taught them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
CAUTION: dont read this thread during lunch!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

When I started reading this thread I was thinking that my tastes have increased, and that I now like many more foods than I did when I was young. And that may be true. But I can also think of a ton of foods that I loved as a kid and don't like at all now. Mostly processed foods like white bread, canned foods (Spaghettios, etc) and canned vegetables, most candies and cookies, things like that. There are still plenty of foods I always liked (pizza, fish and shellfish, beef and chicken, some veggies, etc), but to a large extent my basic diet is now an inverse of what it was when I was young.