Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post

Anyone chosen has to spend 6 years in a recreation of the colony here on Earth. During that time, the cargo missions and atmospheric preparations would be made on Mars, according to the plan outlined on the group's website, with water, atmosphere, and oxygen production systems being fully in place by 2022, and the first group landing in 2023, and more groups of colonists arriving every two years after that. I'd watch this show :P
Oh so that isn't so bad then I mean you can call out for pizza, Chinese maybe still get ice cream. Maybe I'll go to Mars after all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Can we nominate one ER-org participant other than oneself ? :-) I have one name in mind :-)

only one?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the proper.... 'accommodations' were provided, it could be quite pleasurable:

Dr. Strangelove - Final Scene - YouTube

Dr. Strangelove - Final Scene - YouTube

-ERD50
Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #44

I think it is a little bit early. If they can develop some magic carbon nanotube dome AND they find a spot with frozen water, perhaps some sort of biosystem could be set up. They would probably need to go nuclear for power.

I would say we are about 40 to 50 years out...which is sad...I might not get to see it.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Can we sign up others? I'll pay the way for a couple of siblings and even offer up a few of my own darling offspring (in the best interest of advancing science and humanity, of course)
And me for my sister....
Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #46

Quote:
It's neither government-funded, nor a US company. The company going for the project is a private Dutch group. They wanted to fund it media-frenzy style, basically turning it into a lifelong run of Big Brother--- in Space!

:P
OK. Stand corrected on the funding and company. The ER aspects remain.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Come on! There's is no comparison. Those people did not leave the planet they left their homeland but they were still on a planet where there is food and other people. Times were much more difficult yet simpler then, can you really imagine leaving everything that you have available here for nothing? Dying on another planet. Food you like. Oh the list is endless I could type for an hour but I have other stuff to do. Seriously there is no comparison to what the colonists did and going to Mars.
Not really disagreeing with you, but I recently read a story about the first missionaries to Hawaii. They packed all of their belongings for the trip - in their own coffins. No, it wasn't Mars, but there was NO return planned. Talk about commitment. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #48

Yes that was and so was crossing the Atlantic ocean coming to the new world. But my point, and I'm not arguing with you either, is going to Mars knowing you will never return to Earth I think is different. IMO it is crazy, there are just millions of reasons why going from here to there is just not a reasonable thing to do. Go and return, that's different, but to stay there I just don't get it.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Exactly. Some (most) people stay, and some people go. It's sort of like mortgage vs pay off the house. Everybody has their opinion, and nobody ever convinces the other side. Plus, say you were 25 or 30 when this concept (assuming it's legit, and would work, and everything) started, and you went to Mars. There's nothing saying that in 20 years or so if you are still alive that space travel wouldn't have been improved enough that you could come back. I understand the concept of gravity/atrophy and all that, but still, it would be entirely possible in a younger person's lifetime. Not mine, I'd be packing my stuff in my cremation urn like the missionaries. But tech doesn't stand still. I'm sure there's a Moore's law equivalent in space travel.

It won't happen in time for me, but if it did and I could qualify and get there, I'd go. Even knowing I wouldn't come back. Just like you can't imagine going, I can't imagine not going.

Edit: I'm curious? Am I the only one here that feels this way? Again, not tying the question to this particular mission, just the concept of a (potentially) workable Mars colony, although with little to no chance of returning.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #50

Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars. Cross the Atlantic, the Pacific, whatever humans know they will be able to get those 3 requirements of life. I don't see a trip to Mars as comparable to what the first European settlers attempted on America, or the missionaries to Hawaii.
I'd love to experience what it would be like to set foot on another planet....but only if it took at most a month to get there, stay a few days, and then head on home. And, of course, with assurances of no danger from radiation. Failing that, I'll stay on terra firma.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Another thought: how soon could there be enough resources to provide a greenhouse, some place where people can see "green space"? From talking to people who have been stationed in very arid parts of the world for long periods of time, the longing for "green" becomes almost unbearable. At least they know they can occasionally travel to some place where there are trees and grass.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars. a.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Edit: I'm curious? Am I the only one here that feels this way? Again, not tying the question to this particular mission, just the concept of a (potentially) workable Mars colony, although with little to no chance of returning.
Well, I'm not in the "jump at the chance" group, but I would consider it. Probably wouldn't do it, but I'd give it some thought. Again, depending on the 'accommodations'.

Quote:
Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars. ....
I've only read a little science fiction, but I think the plan would be to create that all when you got there. Biosphere II was an attempt at that, which didn't end well, but success is built on failure.

-ERD50
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm with you in that I'd jump at the chance to go. I imagine the sentiment is skewed towards not going on this site since the ages are skewed much higher and more towards stability. Plenty of older people want to go, but not people who have most of their future planned for and mapped out, I can imagine :P Throwing it all away to go into something uncertain after working so hard for 50 plus years just seems out there.

The situation mentioned here, I'm not sure if I'd go. They want to fund it by making it kind of a sideshow, and I'm not exactly into that, but if the biosphere they plan on building over the next decade holds, and the first four survive, Boyfriend and I have already discussed if we'd join in some of the 2 colonist missions arriving yearly afterwards If I left, I'd end up spending the majority of my life away from Earth, which I have no problem with.

Plus, if the new light speed speculation coming out of NASA bears any fruit, we could be closer to an American program too
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #54

If, after living in the simulator for X years with my mission mates, I liked them, then I would go. Given pre-delivered bio support, of course. The make or break on this mission is often viewed as the life support, but as important is the ability (or inability) of a small group of humans in tight quarters with "no leave" to not end up killing each other.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Space exploration is best left to military test pilots. Otherwise, we'll get around the clock whining when one of these civilians gets killed. Over a quarter century later, and the teacher on the Challenger still pops up on various news programs, with survivors soliciting another grieve fest.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
Space exploration is best left to military test pilots. Otherwise, we'll get around the clock whining when one of these civilians gets killed. Over a quarter century later, and the teacher on the Challenger still pops up on various news programs, with survivors soliciting another grieve fest.
I don't think we'll get so much whining since it's privately funded and non-American. American tragedies hit us most, and mostly suburban or relatable tragedies. We lockdown for Boston but ignore a mass shooting in New Orleans, so I'd imagine that if it goes bad and all four are from another country, we'll move onto other news in less than a week's time and forget it ever happened.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars.
I believe the plan is to first launch a number of unmanned flights to Mars which would filled with supplies necessary for survival. I imagine that would include food, housing, all sorts of tools, power sources and equipment to turn Martian water into oxygen. Earth would have to continue to send supply ships on a regular basis for many years.

IMHO, none of this is feasible until we develop a propulsion system that will cut the travel time down from months to weeks. In an emergency time is of the essences. Just ask any EMT.

Our first space related task should be to develop a way to identify and deflect asteroids that could strike Earth and send us the way of dinosaurs. The Dinos are extinct because they didn't have space travel. We do.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IWe lockdown for Boston but ignore a mass shooting in New Orleans, so I'd imagine that if it goes bad and all four are from another country, we'll move onto other news in less than a week's time and forget it ever happened.
How about the over 1000 people killed in Bangladesh while making our clothing?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
How about the over 1000 people killed in Bangladesh while making our clothing?
Exactly. so I don't think we'd have to worry about people 'whining' like BLS53 thought :P At least not from the US anyway.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #60

No thanks. I want to stay right here on Earth.