One way to Mars NO return trip

Another thought: how soon could there be enough resources to provide a greenhouse, some place where people can see "green space"? From talking to people who have been stationed in very arid parts of the world for long periods of time, the longing for "green" becomes almost unbearable. At least they know they can occasionally travel to some place where there are trees and grass.

Amethyst

Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars. a.

Edit: I'm curious? Am I the only one here that feels this way? Again, not tying the question to this particular mission, just the concept of a (potentially) workable Mars colony, although with little to no chance of returning.

Well, I'm not in the "jump at the chance" group, but I would consider it. Probably wouldn't do it, but I'd give it some thought. Again, depending on the 'accommodations'. >:D

Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars. ....

I've only read a little science fiction, but I think the plan would be to create that all when you got there. Biosphere II was an attempt at that, which didn't end well, but success is built on failure.

-ERD50

Edit: I'm curious? Am I the only one here that feels this way? Again, not tying the question to this particular mission, just the concept of a (potentially) workable Mars colony, although with little to no chance of returning.

I'm with you in that I'd jump at the chance to go. I imagine the sentiment is skewed towards not going on this site since the ages are skewed much higher and more towards stability. Plenty of older people want to go, but not people who have most of their future planned for and mapped out, I can imagine :p Throwing it all away to go into something uncertain after working so hard for 50 plus years just seems out there.

The situation mentioned here, I'm not sure if I'd go. They want to fund it by making it kind of a sideshow, and I'm not exactly into that, but if the biosphere they plan on building over the next decade holds, and the first four survive, Boyfriend and I have already discussed if we'd join in some of the 2 colonist missions arriving yearly afterwards :) If I left, I'd end up spending the majority of my life away from Earth, which I have no problem with.

Plus, if the new light speed speculation coming out of NASA bears any fruit, we could be closer to an American program too :D

If, after living in the simulator for X years with my mission mates, I liked them, then I would go. Given pre-delivered bio support, of course. The make or break on this mission is often viewed as the life support, but as important is the ability (or inability) of a small group of humans in tight quarters with "no leave" to not end up killing each other.

Space exploration is best left to military test pilots. Otherwise, we'll get around the clock whining when one of these civilians gets killed. Over a quarter century later, and the teacher on the Challenger still pops up on various news programs, with survivors soliciting another grieve fest.

Space exploration is best left to military test pilots. Otherwise, we'll get around the clock whining when one of these civilians gets killed. Over a quarter century later, and the teacher on the Challenger still pops up on various news programs, with survivors soliciting another grieve fest.

I don't think we'll get so much whining since it's privately funded and non-American. American tragedies hit us most, and mostly suburban or relatable tragedies. We lockdown for Boston but ignore a mass shooting in New Orleans, so I'd imagine that if it goes bad and all four are from another country, we'll move onto other news in less than a week's time and forget it ever happened.

Humans need breathable air, potable water, and of course food to live. None of that is on Mars.

I believe the plan is to first launch a number of unmanned flights to Mars which would filled with supplies necessary for survival. I imagine that would include food, housing, all sorts of tools, power sources and equipment to turn Martian water into oxygen. Earth would have to continue to send supply ships on a regular basis for many years.

IMHO, none of this is feasible until we develop a propulsion system that will cut the travel time down from months to weeks. In an emergency time is of the essences. Just ask any EMT.

Our first space related task should be to develop a way to identify and deflect asteroids that could strike Earth and send us the way of dinosaurs. The Dinos are extinct because they didn't have space travel. We do.

IWe lockdown for Boston but ignore a mass shooting in New Orleans, so I'd imagine that if it goes bad and all four are from another country, we'll move onto other news in less than a week's time and forget it ever happened.

How about the over 1000 people killed in Bangladesh while making our clothing?

As someone said if the travel time was a month, I'd opt for a week, and I could stay for a week or 2 and return then I'm ok with it.

The human body evolved on this planet and I can't help but think living on Mars with such different gravity would effect your body. And what facilities would exist for healthcare, we can't do it here can we do it on Mars?

And another thing (since I'm on a roll ;)) people can't stay married for more than 3,7,10 years (yes I know many here have been happily married to your spouse for 30-50 years), how the heck will they tolerate the living conditions in such a restricted environment with nothing to do and nowhere to escape to? It just doesn't make sense to me but I'm an armchair adventurer. I've traveled the world to every place a camera can go from the comfort of my couch! :cool:

"One way to Mars NO return trip."

~ I'm up for it as long as I can leave TODAY. Before 5 pm, preferably.... ;o)

Here's an interesting novel about an engineer/astronaut who became stuck on Mars.
Thanks again for posting about this novel. It was awesome! And very realistic. In fact, if someone were considering living on Mars, this is the book I would recommend them to read.

Are other books by this author this good??

Back
Top Bottom