Join Early Retirement Today

One way to Mars NO return trip
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One way to Mars NO return trip

Who the hell would opt for this? There's a lot to bitch about here but really!

Quote:
"Colonists would stay on the red planet for the rest of their lives, eliminating the challenge of returning them to Earth"
More Than 78,000 Apply for a One-Way Trip to Mars | NBC Bay Area
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post

That would be a great congressional junket!!

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Yeah, I can think of a boat load I would like to see take that trip.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yeah, I can think of a boat load I would like to see take that trip.
Me, too. For some, I'd pay.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Beat me to it.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Until such time as we have a superior propulsion system, long trips through space are a dangerous thing. There is the long term exposure to solar radiation, along with no real way to abort the trip and return to Earth quickly should a serious problem arise. I believe NASA is working on better propulsion systems that will reduce the time to reach Mars from months to weeks. But, they are many years off. Until, then its best not plan on a speedy return.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd go.No question.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Until such time as we have a superior propulsion system, long trips through space are a dangerous thing. There is the long term exposure to solar radiation, along with no real way to abort the trip and return to Earth quickly should a serious problem arise. I believe NASA is working on better propulsion systems that will reduce the time to reach Mars from months to weeks. But, they are many years off. Until, then its best not plan on a speedy return.
Guess that's why they're planning on no return :P

I know quite a few people interested in trying it out. Could be my generation isn't as attached to this place, but it seems like something fun and interesting to do. I'm not a fan of the reality show aspect of how they want to fund it, but that's pretty much the only reason I wouldn't want to be of the first four
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
The application process extends until August 31 and charges a fee from $5 to $75, depending on the country.
Obvious scam is obvious, as the young people on the Internet say. I'm going to assume that the US is the most expensive country and maybe China is $10. So they've already pulled in well over $1 million. Not bad for a bunch of jokers, none of whom even has a PhD, who built a website and got some free publicity by being outlandish. They say themselves, they're on target for half a million applicants. Ker-chingggg!
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #10

I am disappointed that only 78,000 applied.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Administrator

Can we sign up others? I'll pay the way for a couple of siblings and even offer up a few of my own darling offspring (in the best interest of advancing science and humanity, of course)
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If an effort was made to establish infrastructure, i.e. several cargo-only trips to provide living quarters and food production capabilities and such for the Mars colonists, this might be practical. Just going to go seems, well, dumb.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Most people will do very little to advance the human race...texting your latest bowel movement on your new i-phone or recording the latest episode of the voice just doesn't accomplish much. If people want to become new pioneers and contribute to our understanding of long term colonization of other planets, I say go for it.

Trips to the new world were considered one way for most people in the 1500s...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #14

And if you act now, you'll get a star named after you in the International Star Registry!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Quote:
"Colonists would stay on the red planet for the rest of their lives, eliminating the challenge of returning them to Earth"
I don't think they are so crazy...didn't many Americans' ancestors do essentially the same thing? They left their country of origin for a hard and uncertain life in an unknown land, with probably little or no assistance from the home country. The only thing they were sure of is that they would never again see their birthplace or the people they left behind.

It would take several months to get from here to Mars, with a significant chance of dying on the way there. Wasn't the same thing true of going from England to the New World in the 17th Century, or from St Louis across the Great Plains in the 19th?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #16

Quote:
didn't many Americans' ancestors do essentially the same thing? They left their country of origin for a hard and uncertain life in an unknown land, with probably little or no assistance from the home country. The only thing they were sure of is that they would never again see their birthplace or the people they left behind.

It would take several months to get from here to Mars, with a significant chance of dying on the way there. Wasn't the same thing true of going from England to the New World in the 17th Century, or from St Louis across the Great Plains in the 19th?
Come on! There's is no comparison. Those people did not leave the planet they left their homeland but they were still on a planet where there is food and other people. Times were much more difficult yet simpler then, can you really imagine leaving everything that you have available here for nothing? Dying on another planet. Food you like. Oh the list is endless I could type for an hour but I have other stuff to do. Seriously there is no comparison to what the colonists did and going to Mars.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We had a fascinating conversation at work about this a couple of years ago. The 18- and 22-year-old team members said they would go! We middle-aged people chided them a bit about having their whole lives in front of them, so why go where there's no air, let alone likely members of the opposite sex ...but the youngsters seemed quite excited about it all. They are pretty smart young people, so it's not as if they don't recognize it would be dangerous. I just think it illustrates how differently we perceive things as we age.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #18

Here's an interesting novel about an engineer/astronaut who became stuck on Mars.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven't these people seen Total Recall? I don't want my eyes to bulge out.

tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Obvious scam is obvious, as the young people on the Internet say. I'm going to assume that the US is the most expensive country and maybe China is $10. So they've already pulled in well over $1 million. Not bad for a bunch of jokers, none of whom even has a PhD, who built a website and got some free publicity by being outlandish. They say themselves, they're on target for half a million applicants. Ker-chingggg!

If this was Elon Musk Space X venture, I sign up in a minute. Probably think about for a week if it was NASA, or Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic. But these jokers not a chance.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote