Join Early Retirement Today

Online Eyeglasses Anyone ??
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Online Eyeglasses Anyone ??

I googled 'eyeglasses' and a bunch of online sites to purchase eyeglasses inexpensively come up which are enticing as opposed to going to the local Mall which I usually do. Does anyone have experience with any of these sites, and also as to the accuracy of the lenses you receive?
Thanks, Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've done business with 39dollarglasses.com and zinnioptical.com and been happy with both.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Administrator

I've bought from eyebuydirect once and am a repeat customer at 39dollarglasses. Never a problem with lens accuracy. You can get an online coupon for additional discount on any of the major coupon sites.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I bought several pairs from zenni optical. They are crazy cheap. They take about 2 weeks to be delivered. I was happy.
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used zenni optical for a while. Just got new pair last month.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

I also use Zenni Optical regularly. Great price and quality. I've also used optics planet for brand name eyewear.
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Another happy Zenni customer here.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Zenni

I have four pairs from them now and the only one I'm unhappy with is because I chose a lens size that was too small for my blended bifocals.

They show up, they're good and all the feedback I've gotten from online and friends is that they're happy with them.

Go ahead, get those leopard print readers you've been craving.
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is the brand name of the glasses that we can adjust for whatever distance we are away from our book, computer, etc? That seems to be what I need.

Has anybody tried these?

http://www.eyejusters.com/home/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #10

Thanks to all for your responses - opens up a whole new venue ! Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Richard, maybe someone can elaborate more on this as I am just entering "readers" and haven't graduated to true eye glasses. But I have read some people complaining who want to buy glasses on line, but the eye doc is holding them hostage because he won't give the "pupil distance" number to the customer even though they paid for the eye exam. They were implying it was the eye doctor trying to keep the system closed so you couldn't buy online. Or you had to pay extra to get the number. Anyone heard of this? I am about a year away I think and I definitely want to do it on the cheap side.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

You can measure pd yourself. It isn't that hard.

Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Measuring PD Glasses
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
gone traveling

I buy contact lenses online all the time, but with my abnormally large noggin', I need to physically see the glasses in person to get a feel for how they fit my head.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
You can measure pd yourself. It isn't that hard.

Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Measuring PD Glasses
I will have to remember this. Thanks!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #15

When I saw the topic name about an online prescription, I took it to mean a prescription monitor screen. (so what if everything in the room but the screen is blurry, only the internet matters, right? )

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What is the brand name of the glasses that we can adjust for whatever distance we are away from our book, computer, etc? That seems to be what I need.

Has anybody tried these?

Eyejusters - A new way to help the world see
Yes, I bought a pair at $140. A complete waste of money. I can't find any focal distance at which they are useable. Not close for the computer and not far for a movie either. I ended up throwing them in the trash.

I have had better luck with these, which I have been using for a week now.

Variable Focus Eyewear | A Different Way To See The World.

You have to buy them from one of their retailers, not directly from the manufacturer. Each lens is independently adjustable. You have to turn knobs located at the hinge of the stems. The price I paid was $80 for a pair. I like them, but there are limitations. You can't adjust them instantly. For applications like using the computer that doesn't matter. You would use these for an activity that required a constant focal distance for a while, like reading or watching a movie.

I very much like the fact that the whole computer screen is in focus compared to the small area provided by my bifocals. So, now I don't have to tilt my head back all the time to read the screen.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #17

Very happy with zennioptical quality and have used them for years. Prices are so reasonable I feel free to buy spares in case of loss and especially good for kids who may be prone to damaging pairs.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I found this site explained everything about pupilary distance.

I bought a pair of variable lenses and should have picked larger lenses. My PD was off too. When I go for an exam soon, the doctor will give me the PD, or I will try one of the methods mentioned in that site.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #19

I just asked my optometrist for the inter-pupillary distance and he added it to my prescription. Also, when I got lenses in existing frames replaced at Costco ($87) last month, they have a little handheld electronic device that measures that. The two measurements (optometrist vs. costco) were 1.5 (millimeters) different.

I consider ordering online an iterative process. Just order a pair and see how it goes and learn from that experience.

I did this for the first time when I was in the USA last month. I had to order 2 pair (Zinni) and also add quick shipping option, because my time there is limited. From the front they both look great. But one of the glasses had rims that come out on my sides almost comically (like for a fat person whose cheeks stick out or someone with a very round head), and this wasn't obvious on the web site. They are basically unusable but I at least can use them as an emergency backup.

But for the price, I am very happy, and the other pair (which was really my second choice), came out great. The online Zinni system where you can picture yourself with the glasses worked pretty well. The lense prescriptions seem fine (near sighted plus astigmatism).

Also, someone has suggested to keep a record of the other measurements (like the total width, depth, of the frames etc.) so you know what works. For instance, the pair I liked would ideally be maybe a quarter centimeter wider (so where frame touches has less pressure on sides of my head), and I have recorded this for next time.

I have worn the same expensive glasses for a few years. The quality of the Zinni frames are not as high, but good enough.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #20

I am not sure about buying glasses online without a prescription, however I would recommend not to skip your annual vision screenings, especially for those who have diabetes (or even at risk of getting it).
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote