Online gaming

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else play Xplorers. Its a java based game. Pretty fun. You can find it on AsoBrain. Any other fun java based multi player games you like? I should add that it is free.

Facebook offers a lot of games for free.

I;ve avoided the facebook games. My friends are into mafia wars, pirates and youville (?). I've been playing subscription based online games since 1999 or so.

I have no idea. I look over and see chickens and cows going all over the screen.

I am on Facebook and would like to try some of their games. But on Facebook, I have a lot of Facebook's security in place and everything is locked up tighter than a drum. When I try to play a game (any game so far), it says I have to let the game see my personal information or I can't play. Or at least I think that is what it is saying. What's with that? The farm game sound like fun. I especially like peaceful games with no bloodshed.

Last edited:
Nothing beats old fashioned board games (Scrabble, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, cards etc.) as far as I am concerned. Get several friends, a libation or two, a kitchen table and great conversation mixed in guarantees a great time each and every time.

Nothing beats old fashioned board games (Scrabble, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, cards etc.) as far as I am concerned. Get several friends, a libation or two, a kitchen table and great conversation mixed in guarantees a great time each and every time.

Yes good times. However, online gaming lets you chat with friends and family. Nice for me since they are spread out all over the country. :)

Not sure why W2R. Probably for data mining purposes. They let you play free in return they want information.

Yup for real board games Risk plus libation (or seven) is great times. Oh the intrigue of the subtle alliance, followed by the sellout. Woot.

I am on Facebook and would like to try some of their games. But on Facebook, I have a lot of Facebook's security in place and everything is locked up tighter than a drum. When I try to play a game (any game so far), it says I have to let the game see my personal information or I can't play. Or at least I think that is what it is saying. What's with that? The farm game sound like fun. I especially like peaceful games with no bloodshed.

I joined Facebook mostly to get some interaction with distant younger relatives. No one under the age of 50 sends me a snail mail letter anymore.
I too buttoned up as much information as possible.
Some of the youngsters send me requests through Facebook that required I accede to letting the app see my personal information. I said yes. So far so good.
I'm not saying that there are no harmful Facebook apps or games out there, just that they are not all harmful and nothing has bitten me yet that I know of. Before I accept any request from a new app, I go to the page for that app and see what other users have written about it. If it doesn't allow users to write on the page, I don't use it.
The farm game that I play, for example, is standard in that you can send "gifts" to all your friends, or just the farm friends. It has to know who your friends are to send the "gifts".
But you are not the only person I know that has chosen to not play games just because of the reason you cite.

I joined Facebook mostly to get some interaction with distant younger relatives. No one under the age of 50 sends me a snail mail letter anymore.
I too buttoned up as much information as possible.
Some of the youngsters send me requests through Facebook that required I accede to letting the app see my personal information. I said yes. So far so good.
I'm not saying that there are no harmful Facebook apps or games out there, just that they are not all harmful and nothing has bitten me yet that I know of. Before I accept any request from a new app, I go to the page for that app and see what other users have written about it. If it doesn't allow users to write on the page, I don't use it.
The farm game that I play, for example, is standard in that you can send "gifts" to all your friends, or just the farm friends. It has to know who your friends are to send the "gifts".
But you are not the only person I know that has chosen to not play games just because of the reason you cite.

Thanks! It's good to know I am not the ONLY person who gets asked for information by these games, and the information you provided is helpful.

My friends and I used to all get together and play games like Titan, Cosmic Encounter, Civilization (yes the board game- 2 days play time usually), and other collectible card games. And swill beer.

I miss those times.

My friends and I used to all get together and play games like Titan, Cosmic Encounter, Civilization (yes the board game- 2 days play time usually), and other collectible card games. And swill beer.

I miss those times.

DH and I have been known to play Trivial Pursuit and other such games with friends, in real space and real time (like on a kitchen table after dinner) and not too long ago. We may even do it again. Don't tell anyone under 25 - it may freak them out.

DH and I have been known to play Trivial Pursuit and other such games with friends, in real space and real time (like on a kitchen table after dinner) and not too long ago. We may even do it again. Don't tell anyone under 25 - it may freak them out.

My 85 yr old FIL plays online with my DW and I. Im impressed with his open mindedness. :) Then again he is always up for a good game of chicken foot at the table. I enjoy it. Ill probably never get to do something like that with a man who was on Iwo Jima.

Actually, some young people still play board games. One of my sons and his wife (age 27) play all the old favorites. And he works as a software developer on a game platform.

What I don't see much is people playing card games other than poker. Anyone remember War for the kids? Or Canasta in the 50s? Still popular at midcentury were also euchre, hearts, 500, Gin Rummy. Every family had a big round dining table where they and friends and extended family played cards and drank beer. A less harried time for many people, although most men worked 6 days a week, or at least Saturday morning. But most of them had stay at home wives and what a difference that made, for them and the wives who generally were not as chronically exhausted as young married women with children tend to be today.

No long commutes either, or long distance trips to find "play dates" for the kids, or to visit other mothers for some gossip and social support. They were everywhere, in neighborhoods that were not nearly as isolated or isolating as the typical suburban existence today.

Bring back round kitchen tables, larger families, stay-at-home wives and card games and the world will be one. Oh yeah, we might need to dynamite the 'burbs too.

Ha

I guess times change. Either adapt or sit looking back how good the old days were. I still play golf with my MIL as a card game. Always fun :)

I guess times change. Either adapt or sit looking back how good the old days were. I still play golf with my MIL as a card game. Always fun :)

A third possibility is adapt, but understand that all change is not progress.

Ha

Bring back round kitchen tables, larger families, stay-at-home wives and card games and the world will be one. Oh yeah, we might need to dynamite the 'burbs too.

Ha

Sounds good to me if I can be the husband.

The favored game of my spouse and I was cribbage. My FIL and spouse said it was played all the time on the boats (they worked in shipping taconite on the Great Lakes). I love the game but none of my friends know how to play it. 15-2, 15-4, a run for 8, and nobs for nine. :)

Last edited:
Canasta, hearts, gin rummy, war, go fish, crazy 8s, pitch...and of course poker only allowed when I was "older". We used Monopoly money to wager bets. ;)
My mom taught us all of these card games and made sure we had plenty of board games on hand. My personal faves were Monopoly, Scrabble, Game of the States, Chinese Checkers, Chess, Checkers, and Backgammon.
I spent most of my young life being mentally challenged by these type of activities.
Strategy, planning, memorization, using play money to buy real estate and charge rent and gamble, interplayer competition, and the luck of the dice roll.
It all makes sense now. :D

Back
Top Bottom