Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
Can I just connect the Ooma to the internet and to a phone jack, then use the Scout to plug my phone in where I want it?
The answer to this is yes, by the way. I now have the hub plugged into an inconvenient location, but the scout is right next to my desk. I like being back to an answering-machine type system where I can push a button to hear the messages rather than calling my voicemail and punching in codes. And, I was traveling recently and listened to the messages through my computer - very cool.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #22

Had my hour-long call with the work colleague, and no problems. Now that you mention it, I can tell that there's a delay. However, we rarely had the problem of talking over one another. Maybe I am just a slow talker

Otherwise, sound quality was great all the way through, no glitches or cutting out. She wouldn't have known I changed my phone service if I hadn't mentioned it.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are on the road and have Ooma set to ring both our home phone and our cell. If we don't pick up the call is recorded and can be listened to on the Ooma website or as an email. Liking it. OOooo! Also, no need to dial "1" anymore on any US calls.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 phone systems in the house - one via cable company that I intend to keep and another via phone company that I am thinking of changing. I get internet via cable company too. The cable part works fine for me and does not need to be changed. Could someone clarify the following about ooma?

What is the scout for? If I don't need the second line, can I just plug ooma hub into the wall phone jack and use other phones via the in-home phone wiring after disconnecting phone company from outside box? (I am asking because that's how similar systems used to work in the past without any additional scouts.)

Also, what are benefits of hub vs telo? Features seem very similar. Which would you recommend?

Finally, does anyone have both Ooma AND cable-company phone? Wonder if same internet connection used for both cable-company phone service and ooma would conflict by any chance...
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We are on the road and have Ooma set to ring both our home phone and our cell.
I did this as well, and am finding it very useful, even though I'm not on the road. I find it lets me give people only my home number, but I get the call on my cell if I'm out and can choose whether to answer it. This function is also available to anyone who registers with Google Voice (unrelated to Ooma).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
I have 2 phone systems in the house - one via cable company that I intend to keep and another via phone company that I am thinking of changing. I get internet via cable company too. The cable part works fine for me and does not need to be changed. Could someone clarify the following about ooma?

What is the scout for? If I don't need the second line, can I just plug ooma hub into the wall phone jack and use other phones via the in-home phone wiring after disconnecting phone company from outside box? (I am asking because that's how similar systems used to work in the past without any additional scouts.)

Also, what are benefits of hub vs telo? Features seem very similar. Which would you recommend?

Finally, does anyone have both Ooma AND cable-company phone? Wonder if same internet connection used for both cable-company phone service and ooma would conflict by any chance...
I'm using the scout because the hub had to plug into my cable modem and router, which I hide in a back corner of the house. I think I could skip the scout, but I like having it as a mini-answering machine next to my desk. That's the most convenient way for me to play messages.

Not sure about hub vs. telo. No complaints about the hub, other than it has kind of a 90's electronics look.

We had Ooma and cable phone on the same line for a few weeks while our number was being ported. It didn't seem to cause any problems.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
We bought a scout to go with our hub. Not using the scout. Have the hub wired into the house wiring and all phones ring and act normally - the fax works as well. We did opt for the premier service so we would have a dedicated fax number. Since we aren't using the scout we can't get two calls or make two calls at the same time, but the second number has a special ring that allows the fax to operate happily without conflicting with our answering the phone or the answering machine's operation. Ability to make two calls at once just isn't that important to me and the fax supposedly has a better chance of working with the hub - would have been major wiring effort to arrange that.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for informative replies, WM and calmloki!

(p.s. hmm.. looks like they raised the prices to $250 recently)