Ooops, Brain Cramp or Freudian Slip

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was watching the evening news tonight (10/15) and the news anchor mistakenly introduced the moderator of a Sunday morning political program as the host of the program of a competing channel :LOL:. They didn't correct the mistake on the air, but after looking at their website to see if the mistake was still there, I saw the station corrected the mistake and must have re-shot the part.

Was bound to happen I guess. Kinda like an employee getting Burger King and McDonalds mixed up :popcorn:.

Was bound to happen I guess. Kinda like an employee getting Burger King and McDonalds mixed up :popcorn:.

Yeah, it's bound to happen. Oh, and FWIW, if I'm in Burger King, or anyplace BUT McDonalds, I have a hard time NOT saying "Chicken McNuggets". I think it's because, as a kid, I was introduced to the "Chicken McNugget" at McDonalds, a long time before its generic, the "chicken nugget" ever entered my life. We didn't eat fast food that often, but when we did it was usually McDonald's, so even if the competition rushed their version of it to the market soon after McDonald's, I probably wasn't exposed to it, until years later.

And, I know they have chicken nuggets in the frozen food section at supermarkets. But, my family never bought those when I was a kid.

They really don't compete and differentiate much anymore. They all have the same political theme right now that they play 24/7. So, I'm not surprised they get mixed up since they are all droning us with the same thing.

They really don't compete and differentiate much anymore. They all have the same political theme right now that they play 24/7. So, I'm not surprised they get mixed up since they are all droning us with the same thing.

+1.

A few years ago, I was waiting for this type of mixup to happen during baseball radio broadcast. The team was on another station for years, then switched to another channel, but same announcers. The lead announcer came close to the mix up but caught himself just in time.

I've seen a local news anchors do this before. Formerly employed by another station than out of habit say the other station by accident.

Last edited:
DW is highly intelligent and successful in her career, though her mind runs faster than she forms the actual words sometimes. So, the examples would be if we are talking the recent trip to Rome, she would suddenly mention that she liked the particular hotel we stayed in Paris.

But, we have not gone to Paris yet. I can see how her mind works: while she is forming the words in Rome context, her mind has already gone to our next trip to Paris.

I liken this to somewhere between Spoonerism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism) and dyslexia.

Back
Top Bottom