Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi, I am your neighbor. I've been wondering when you'd notice my window antics and say something. I like fresh air, I have hot flashes (OMG) and there is a dead body in that room. But mostly I do it to mess with the neighbors - you're the last neighbor to notice BTW. I started doing it because the darn window won't close all the way and the landlord won't come fix it - but the jokes on her since she pays the utilities...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Why not get a whole house humidifier for the furnace? We have one, it's great. The water is flushed through it so it doesn't really need much cleaning, it has a humidistat, turns on/off automatically. I keep it set just high enough so that we don't get shocks or feel too dry. No moving parts, just a water valve/solenoid. The furnace fan pulls the air through it.

edit/add: Can't pass up a chance to rant on this - So some of these 'open window' people will get money from their fellow citizens to buy a "high efficiency furnace" or to add whether stripping or insulation - and then they leave the windows open! :no: How come the govt doesn't pay me to keep my doors/windows shut and my thermostat low?

-ERD50
I have one but still prefer to get fresh air. At least once a month I'll turn the furnace down to about 60 and open several windows just to get lots of fresh air. My house is small and fairly air tight (heating runs about $600 per year) so it feels more comfortable inside after a good airing.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You would be amazed how many people are sitting out on the sidewalk having their coffee or sandwiches with temps in the low 40s. And young people hanging out in front of bars to smoke in tee shirts no matter what the temp. Older women don't seem to put up with this easily, so one sacrifice if you want to be with a women is that you will also be too hot.

Ha
It's 23 degrees and sunny here right now and there are quite a few people out walking around. My windows are open now. Here this is considered a very nice winter day.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #24

So, she probably just likes fresher or colder air and wants to encourage circulation. May also be dealing with hormonal issues. That means there’s nothing at all unusual with an open window in freezing weather. Go figure. What energy crisis?

Midpack, I know you’re not my neighbor. You’re far too friendly.

As for the dead body theory, it is a distinct possibility. He has not been seen lately, and they had a phone conversation earlier in the summer (on the back patio, of all places) after he moved out that would certainly establish motive. But then, who would be paying the bills?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
It's 23 degrees and sunny here right now and there are quite a few people out walking around. My windows are open now. Here this is considered a very nice winter day.
Oh for sure; I know that there is no comparison of North Dakota or Eastern Montana with here.

Once i ran into a guy while I was elk hunting. We had a tent and a little stove, he was sleeping in his truck bed. We invited him to our tent, he came but he said that he was from Great Falls and cold weather did not bother him!

I just saw an interesting piece on Espn about the cold bath for NFL players. Some teams even have entire pools kept at hi 30s or low 40s temps. Guys submerge their whole bodies for 5 or more minutes. They believe it makes their careers last much longer.

Ha
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
OTOH, I cannot wait 'til I get to Florida.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I like a cooler temp when I sleep; DH likes it warm and toasty. An open window sometimes helps. The latest compromise is to close the window and lower the temp to 66 at night. Ha's idea of closing the bedroom door to isolate it from temps in the rest of the house seems interesting. Maybe MichaelB should stop worrying about the lady next door and just be glad that the lady in his house is so reasonable!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I know what you mean. It is one reason (though not the most important one) that I never liked working in an office that is all women. Women are always calling maintenance to turn up the thermostat.

Then they inexplicably drape sweaters over their shoulders, without putting their arms into the sleeves. It's like they went to some kind of dowdiness finishing school.

On topic, we keep the bedroom window open long after some other people would have turned on the heat. We like a bedroom that is about 50 degrees, with the electric blanket going. Once the furnace is on, though, all windows stay closed unless there's a sunny-day thaw.

Amethyst

Quote:
Older women don't seem to put up with this easily, so one sacrifice if you want to be with a women is that you will also be too hot.

Ha
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My utility bills are high enough without having an open window contributing to the damage. However, I do open them for a short period about once a week to get some fresh air inside. I also have a fair number of plants in the house, all producing some extra oxygen naturally.

Indoor Plants That Produce Oxygen | Garden Guides

High-Oxygen Plants for a Home | eHow.com
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #30

The only time I ever open my windows is for maybe a week or 2 in the summer when the temp is over 70 but not too hot and humid. If it's less than 70 outside then it's too cold to have the windows open. I like to sleep with the heat up to nearly 75 even when it's below zero outside. The rest of my home is no more than 60 degrees in the winter because i'm never in those rooms for more than a few minutes.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I like a cooler temp when I sleep; DH likes it warm and toasty. An open window sometimes helps. The latest compromise is to close the window and lower the temp to 66 at night. Ha's idea of closing the bedroom door to isolate it from temps in the rest of the house seems interesting. Maybe MichaelB should stop worrying about the lady next door and just be glad that the lady in his house is so reasonable!
Good grief.
Winter temp: 60F day, 50F night.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My utility bills are high enough without having an open window contributing to the damage. However, I do open them for a short period about once a week to get some fresh air inside. I also have a fair number of plants in the house, all producing some extra oxygen naturally.

Indoor Plants That Produce Oxygen | Garden Guides

High-Oxygen Plants for a Home | eHow.com
I have house plants.
If I want fresh air I go outside.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
Administrator

During the delicious days of spring and fall, I open all the doors and windows and enjoy airing the house out for long periods of time.

When it's cold, that is impractical. I still open the side and back door for a little while on most days to get some circulation going through the house. I do this only for around ten or fifteen minutes, while enjoying my morning coffee. The cold air helps me to shake off the fog of sleep. Then I let the heater warm up my house again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We open ours at night year round, and when it's warmer we have two open to get a cross draft.

Of course it rarely gets down to freezing around here, but the bedroom is typically 55 to 60 degrees in the morning.

If there's one thing above all others that helps us sleep well, it's a cold room and heavy blankets.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #35

I'll happily pay $50-75 a month if needed to keep fresh air flowing through the house! Turning off the heat means cold stuffy air! Hate too much A/C for the heat - for the same reason - not so comfy to pop open the windows to have hot fresh air blow through

Let her do her own thing!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #36

Quote:

You would be amazed how many people are sitting out on the sidewalk having their coffee or sandwiches with temps in the low 40s.
Is that + or - 40's?

I have a friend who wears shorts at both temps.

DW cracks the bedroom window at both temps P's me O, but only because of cost of heating. I want to kill educate her at -40 but after 33 years it seems too late.

Cold is relative. I used to take Boy Scouts winter camping at any temp between +10 and -50 F. "Be prepared" and it's not a big deal.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #37

Nope. No open windows here today with a high of 32 and a low of 20. I keep the thermostat around 68 during the day and set it down to 63 at night. If I want some warmth and ambience on these cold winter evenings, I turn on my gas log fireplace in the den off my kitchen. It throws off a lot of heat, to the point of sweltering almost. I wear flannel pajamas and have blankets on the bed. It it feels stuffy, I turn on the ceiling fan.
I leave for 3 weeks in FL at the end of the month. I will warm up there and hope the memory carries me through until spring.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

If this neighbor has a "ventless" gas heater, then she might be opening the window for safety or comfort reasons (to keep O2 levels higher and to get rid of some of the copious amounts of water vapor these things pump out). These heaters are only supposed to be run for 4 hours max per day, and a window should be opened (a little) when they are operating. I'm not a big fan of them (they are illegal in many places, Canada included from what I recall)

It would take hundreds of typical houseplants, all in the sun, to produce the same amount of oxygen used by one person. Any effect of their presence (or of the respiration of the people inside the house) on O2 levels is swamped by the normal air infiltration rate of a typical home. That's not to say that they aren't enjoyable, but they probably aren't changing the O2 levels in the home to a detectable degree, and the wet soil is often considered a mold oasis and a net "minus" for indoor air quality.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

We keep several of our windows open year-round, too. When we're sleeping we like the room cool while we snuggle with a Vellux blanket for extra warmth.

Sometimes those open windows are a problem when the rain starts blowing from the "wrong" direction onto window tracks that have gotten grimy from lack of use/maintenance...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We keep several of our windows open year-round, too. When we're sleeping we like the room cool while we snuggle with a Vellux blanket for extra warmth.

Sometimes those open windows are a problem when the rain starts blowing from the "wrong" direction onto window tracks that have gotten grimy from lack of use/maintenance...
And what is the lowest temperature where you are?