Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Sometimes I wrap a blanket around my head. Like dogs, men are happiest with a cold nose.

Ha
Not this old dog.

There was a similar discussion on another board I frequent. Some lady from Canada said her bedroom window was cracked a few inches and the temp at the time was -17. She said she would close it when it got cold enough.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Not this old dog.

There was a similar discussion on another board I frequent. Some lady from Canada said her bedroom window was cracked a few inches and the temp at the time was -17. She said she would close it when it got cold enough.
Yea, but that's -17 degrees C (Canadian). In Fahrenheit that's balmy.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
And what is the lowest temperature where you are?
I hear that ice is always a liquid there. I dunno how they can build anything under those extreme conditions.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was younger, I lived in a house with radiators and a boiler. It was impossible to regulate. 90 degrees F in winter inside that was 20 degrees below freezing outside. If the windows hadn't been frozen shut in my room, the windows would have been open.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
And what is the lowest temperature where you are?
Well... well... well... this morning it got down to 63 degrees, but some mornings have even been in the 50s!!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a three year tour in Germany we rotated to Hawaii in January. The first day of work I showed up at work in a short sleeved uniform. The civilian secretaries could not believe I was not cold! Three years later they were right, it was jackets on the flight line!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

To those who crack the windows open to get "fresh" air, I have a question. What kind of air do you have in your house before you open the windows?

Does the air get "stale" (if so, describe how you know it is stale)? Odoriferous from lots of cooking? Too much B.O. (and I don't mean the Commander in Chief, so let's not get political!)?

Just curious. I have a 38 year old house with original windows and we open the door many times per day even if we never leave the house. I am assuming we get plenty of "fresh air" circulating passively from not having an air tight house.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
To those who crack the windows open to get "fresh" air, I have a question. What kind of air do you have in your house before you open the windows?

Does the air get "stale" (if so, describe how you know it is stale)? Odoriferous from lots of cooking? Too much B.O. (and I don't mean the Commander in Chief, so let's not get political!)?

Just curious. I have a 38 year old house with original windows and we open the door many times per day even if we never leave the house. I am assuming we get plenty of "fresh air" circulating passively from not having an air tight house.
It's simple. Some people like the feeling of airflow, so we take steps to achieve this.

But to directly address your point, usually indoor air is more polluted than the outdoor air- so almost any indoor air quality can be improved by exchange with the outdoors.

Ha
Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's simple. Some people like the feeling of airflow, so we take steps to achieve this.
Thanks - so "fresh air" = "air flow" or a breeze. Gotcha. I understand that - I like a little breeze too when it is warm. I guess I was wondering if people had a distaste for "stale" air or "old" air and just wanted "different" air.

Quote:
But to directly address your point, usually indoor air is more polluted than the outdoor air- so almost any indoor air quality can be improved by exchange with the outdoors.
I have actually heard the exact opposite on this point. Outside air has a lot of automobile exhaust and the resultant chemicals (SOX, NOX, Ozone, CO, VOC/HC, etc) and entrained particulate matter (mostly from natural sources in drier areas, but diesel combustion produces a significant amount too if your house is near a road, particularly a truck route). Not to mention seasonal allergens like pollen.

Sometimes we open a window if we just made some smokey or stinky food or burnt something (ie blackened pan fried fish or pan fried sausage/bacon). Otherwise we are generally satisfied with the indoor air quality and characteristics (though it does get a little dry in the winter). My in-laws, coming from an ethnic immigrant community, frequently have their windows or door open in the middle of summer heat or winter cold. But it is usually to air out some very pungent foods (fish, intestines, shrimp paste, etc).
Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have actually heard the exact opposite on this point. Outside air has a lot of automobile exhaust and the resultant chemicals (SOX, NOX, Ozone, CO, VOC/HC, etc) and entrained particulate matter (mostly from natural sources in drier areas, but diesel combustion produces a significant amount too if your house is near a road, particularly a truck route). Not to mention seasonal allergens like pollen.
We call those "tropical tradewinds"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. A "tight" home (one that professionals might judge to need active ventilation, possibly using a heat recovery system) experiences natural air infiltration to the extent that less than 1/4th of the air in the home is exchanged with the outside air every hour. (Source) Most homes fall well short of this, with Estimated Natural Infiltration Rates (ENIRs) of .35 to over 1 per hour. Given the amount of outside air that comes into the average home under normal circumstances, opening the windows to get "fresh air" seems unnecessary unless there's something generating a lot of "pollution" inside (CO/H2O from a room heater, large amounts of water vapor from cooking/washing clothes/showers, etc).

I've never heard a sensible explanation for why authorities tell people to stay in their homes when air pollution levels are high--am I supposed to believe that ozone levels inside my house are materially different than outside?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

We have the original 36 year old single pane wooden windows with aluminum storms on our house. The term "tight" is not applicable for us . It's been cold and windy lately and the constant rattle of the storms and movement of the curtains lets us know that we are getting plenty of fresh air infiltration. Most of our neighbors have double and triple pane new storms with argon gas insulation. What fun is that?? This way we give the cold a fighting chance . Plus, we feel a lot better about the carbon monoxide level (we have oil heat) with leaky windows.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I've never heard a sensible explanation for why authorities tell people to stay in their homes when air pollution levels are high--am I supposed to believe that ozone levels inside my house are materially different than outside?
I think this advice is right there with "duck and cover" in case of nuclear attack.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

She does not pay her heating bill or is rich or not informed ...

Here in Canada the Great White North, window manufacturers try to improve the efficiency of windows so that it keeps the heat inside. Windows are at least double pane, some are even triple pane to keep the heat inside.

Home owners spend thousands of dollars to replace their leaky old windows with newer windows.

If I left my windows open in the winter, I would go broke

Go figure ...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
OTOH, I cannot wait 'til I get to Florida.
When are you going ? I will be in Florida this Xmas
Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
--am I supposed to believe that ozone levels inside my house are materially different than outside?
I have no data or expert knowledge, but it seems that inside air most likely contains exactly the same pollutants as outside air plus whatever gets added by outgassing and other indoor pollution sources. It might well be true that the concentrations of outdoor source pollutants exhibit damped and time-lagged fluctuations, relative to outside.

But after all, all air was "outside air" at one time.

Ha
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Couple of things I've taken some time to get used to here in paradise: Local people dig in their closets for hooded sweat shirts or even winter coats (like we used to wear in the midwest) when the temp drops down into the 60s (at night). Second, no window in our place closes tightly. They close enough to keep the rain out, but that's about it. With all the windows closed, there's a gale force wind blowing though the place when the trades are running at 20. I actually like the breezes at night but I guess I lived too long where we ran around stuffing rags into air leaks in the winter time.

Here, if it gets really cold (below 60) we throw a blanket over the sheet.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have no data or expert knowledge, but it seems that inside air most likely contains exactly the same pollutants as outside air plus whatever gets added by outgassing and other indoor pollution sources. It might well be true that the concentrations of outdoor source pollutants exhibit damped and time-lagged fluctuations, relative to outside.

But after all, all air was "outside air" at one time.

Ha
That's what I think, too. So why do the local air quality officials everywhere tell people to stay inside when the air quality gets cruddy? It's just as cruddy, or worse, inside.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouth View Post
When are you going ? I will be in Florida this Xmas
Hopefully this saturday morning.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #60
Administrator

This morning Frank is coming over early, so I actually set my alarm. When it was time to get up, I jumped up, showered, dressed, brushed my hair, made the bed, put away laundry and started another load, made coffee, unplugged my cell phone and put it in my purse, started the dishwasher and took out the trash... all in the first ten minutes after awakening. ZING! This is how I enjoy starting the day, an old habit after years of w*rk.

Once the coffee was done, I opened the side door and turned down the heat. Right now I am enjoying the cool, fresh, well oxygenated 41F air flowing through the house as I rest and drink my morning coffee. I think inside air gets stuffy after a while and when I have been running around like that, outside air is nice and cool. I regard it as free air conditioning.

I'll probably close the door in few minutes.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote