Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hopefully this saturday morning.
Next week for us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Fresh air lover
Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

Fresh air lover

Ever since discovering the concept of opening a window no matter what the temperature or weather is doing outside, I have been enjoying optimum health. I find that living with fresh air helps me think clearly. My skin is radiant and I feel so alive. Especially at night when I sleep, I put on two layers of warm pj's, use two heavy wool comforters, and even throw my down coat over the bed and wear a hat if I have to, but that window has to be wide open with fresh air blowing in my face. I wouldn't dare keep windows shut. If I did I wake up feeling like I'm dead and my respiratory system and head feels like it's filled with cement. There really is a big difference when you let in the natural fresh air from outside, mixed with the artificial dry indoor heated air. So I can very easily understand why people open windows in the winter when they're running heat. Sometimes it's wiser to pay the extra in energy bills than to save the money so you can give it to the medical society later when you become effected by lack of fresh air. Fresh air entering a building also keeps odors away. And for those with breathing problems, I find cooler, thinner outside air easier to breathe than thick, dusty, heated and stale indoor air. For the neighbor that keeps her window open 24/7 adjusting it accordingly, she's in tune with the outside elements which we all should be. After all, we're all living things evolved from the earth and if the animals can connect with it, why can't we? We're the only living things that seal ourselves up in airtight constructions - sometimes all year! I lived in a new 'formaldehyde-laden' trailer for 8 years and needed my windows wide open most of the year. It was very disturbing to know a neighbor had nothing better to do than keep a vigil on my lifestyle - was SHE the one paying our electric bill for the heaters or was it none of her business? Anyhow, I just want to say to all those who leave their windows open that they have the right idea and to not let anyone discourage them to continue enjoying themselves. Can't wait to get under my covers by that open window!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too nippy for me to leave a window open no matter how cold. But when the temp is too cold for me, I do the next best thing -- I run an air purifier which does of good job of keeping the air fresh.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnose View Post
Ever since discovering the concept of opening a window no matter what the temperature or weather is doing outside, I have been enjoying optimum health. I find that living with fresh air helps me think clearly. My skin is radiant and I feel so alive. Especially at night when I sleep, I put on two layers of warm pj's, use two heavy wool comforters, and even throw my down coat over the bed and wear a hat if I have to, but that window has to be wide open with fresh air blowing in my face. I wouldn't dare keep windows shut. If I did I wake up feeling like I'm dead and my respiratory system and head feels like it's filled with cement. There really is a big difference when you let in the natural fresh air from outside, mixed with the artificial dry indoor heated air. So I can very easily understand why people open windows in the winter when they're running heat. Sometimes it's wiser to pay the extra in energy bills than to save the money so you can give it to the medical society later when you become effected by lack of fresh air. Fresh air entering a building also keeps odors away. And for those with breathing problems, I find cooler, thinner outside air easier to breathe than thick, dusty, heated and stale indoor air. For the neighbor that keeps her window open 24/7 adjusting it accordingly, she's in tune with the outside elements which we all should be. After all, we're all living things evolved from the earth and if the animals can connect with it, why can't we? We're the only living things that seal ourselves up in airtight constructions - sometimes all year! I lived in a new 'formaldehyde-laden' trailer for 8 years and needed my windows wide open most of the year. It was very disturbing to know a neighbor had nothing better to do than keep a vigil on my lifestyle - was SHE the one paying our electric bill for the heaters or was it none of her business? Anyhow, I just want to say to all those who leave their windows open that they have the right idea and to not let anyone discourage them to continue enjoying themselves. Can't wait to get under my covers by that open window!
Hello Debnose and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have pretty strong feelings about outdoor life. Good for you. As for a neighbor keeping a vigil, I do hope you weren't referring to me.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in MN and had a window open about 4" yesterday. It was a warmer winter day (20s) and about this time of year I crave fresh air to air out the house. The window I always open is in a spare bathroom where the cats' litter is kept and, while I scrupulous about cleaning the litter box, the room does need venting every so often. I do close the window at night. Another possibility about your neighbor's window: maybe the window is broken/stuck in an upright position? This happened to a window in my house when a cord got messed up and stuck internally in the sash.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The two neighbors closest to us (several hundred feet away) never crack a window, that we have ever observed. Neither did their predecessors in those houses (we are original owners) Whereas, we enjoy fresh air all spring and fall, most of the summer, and any time during the occasional milder winter when daytime temperatures get into the 50's. I have loved the smell of fresh air ever since I can remember.

Have no idea, and no interest in knowing, if the neighbors are less healthy than we are. (They're quite a bit younger, so probably healthier by default!)

On the topic of "air warnings," I agree that they seem counterintuitive. I always heard the reason is to keep people with respiratory problems, and also runners, off of streets when vehicles are putting out lots of pollution, which the temperature inversion layer (or whatever) is preventing from dissipating.

Amethyst
Fresh air lover
Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

Fresh air lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hello Debnose and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have pretty strong feelings about outdoor life. Good for you. As for a neighbor keeping a vigil, I do hope you weren't referring to me.
Since I don't know you personally, no, I'm not referring to you. This article just brought back some unpleasant memories of harassment I once tolerated from a nosy trouble-making neighbor. It will always agitate the hell out of me though, that people can be so concerned with the way another person is living their life so much as to observe when and if they open their windows! We don't all think on the same level, and I for one, view opening a window even during the winter while the heat is on or turned down depending on the temperature outside, as a wise and vital choice; whereas others (...I call them sheep) view it as wasting energy when they would be better off prioritizing the quality and essential humidity in the air they breathe 24/7. Again, no offense to you, personally... good thread right up my alley, that's why I stopped by.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #68

May I hazard an interesting ethnic stereotype? No offense meant to anyone: it is just an observation! I've lived for extended periods in both a Germanic city (Vienna) and a Latin city (Rome). The Austrians were always throwing windows open for fresh air. The Romans are always closing windows and are typically suspicious of fresh air. Case in point: once in Rome I was travelling with a couple students on an overheated bus in mid summer, standing room only with people, as is typical, pressed closely together, and one of my students turned white as a sheet and was about to faint. We went to open the window and a chorus of voices refused, insisting it would let in the "bad air"--mal-eria. It was an interesting cultural moment!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
May I hazard an interesting ethnic stereotype? No offense meant to anyone: it is just an observation! I've lived for extended periods in both a Germanic city (Vienna) and a Latin city (Rome). The Austrians were always throwing windows open for fresh air. The Romans are always closing windows and are typically suspicious of fresh air. Case in point: once in Rome I was travelling with a couple students on an overheated bus in mid summer, standing room only with people, as is typical, pressed closely together, and one of my students turned white as a sheet and was about to faint. We went to open the window and a chorus of voices refused, insisting it would let in the "bad air"--mal-eria. It was an interesting cultural moment!

I am amazed at how some people think that all outside are is fresher than inside.. they must not have lived in NY or London, or for that matter Houston...

I agree that there are a lot of places with fresh air... and I enjoy our trips to the state an national parks where you can smell a difference....

An interesting note.... when I lived in London I was in my living room one day and thought it was colder than normal.... and felt a draft... I went looking to see if I had an open window or something... well, there was an open exhaust pipe to the outside that was hidden behind a couch... and since it was windy outside it was blowing more into my flat... seems that they required a fresh air source and this fit the bill...
Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnose View Post
Since I don't know you personally, no, I'm not referring to you. This article just brought back some unpleasant memories of harassment I once tolerated from a nosy trouble-making neighbor. It will always agitate the hell out of me though, that people can be so concerned with the way another person is living their life so much as to observe when and if they open their windows! We don't all think on the same level, and I for one, view opening a window even during the winter while the heat is on or turned down depending on the temperature outside, as a wise and vital choice; whereas others (...I call them sheep) view it as wasting energy when they would be better off prioritizing the quality and essential humidity in the air they breathe 24/7. Again, no offense to you, personally... good thread right up my alley, that's why I stopped by.
I find it interesting that you don't want to be judged by your neighbor, but you judge those who choose to keep their windows closed and call them 'sheep' and presume to know what is better for them. BTW, I think much of what you say has no basis in fact. Allowing outside air in and then heating it will decrease humidity further. One of the issues with super-tight houses is they build up too much humidity, and require a heat exchanging ventilator (bringing outside air w/o wasting much energy).

Maybe there is more to the story, but noticing that the neighbors windows are always open or shut isn't necessarily (and likely isn't) being nosy. Sometimes you just notice things.

If you prefer the window open, that's fine and it's your business. But don't assume that others don't also know what is best for them and their pocketbook, and the environment (not adding more pollution by heating to make up for the open window).

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about you guys but I actually buy imported fresh air from the foothills of the Andes. Open up a couple gallons of that stuff in your house and whammo - instant fresh air! No need to open up your window and let those frigid breezes blow in.

I understand that some would claim the carbon footprint from flying my bottles of fresh air up to the USA makes consumption of these items not environmentally conscious and to those sheep I say mind your own business, you don't know what is best for me or the environment. So stay out of my business!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I don't know about you guys but I actually buy imported fresh air from the foothills of the Andes. Open up a couple gallons of that stuff in your house and whammo - instant fresh air! No need to open up your window and let those frigid breezes blow in.
Why import it? You can get fresh air in a can from Febreze.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Why import it? You can get fresh air in a can from Febreze.
You must be an amateur breather of fresh air. The best fresh air comes from a certain region at the base of the Andes. Crack open a bottle of that stuff and man you can tell the difference between it and febreeze!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You must be an amateur breather of fresh air. The best fresh air comes from a certain region at the base of the Andes. Crack open a bottle of that stuff and man you can tell the difference between it and febreeze!
I am indeed no connoisseur of fresh air. I don't trust air I can't see in fact. When it comes out of a can of air freshener, you can see all the droplets of goodness.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A bunch of posters are just blowing smoke on this thread. You fresh airophiles pay them no mind.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I understand that some would claim the carbon footprint from flying my bottles of fresh air up to the USA makes consumption of these items not environmentally conscious and to those sheep I say mind your own business, you don't know what is best for me or the environment. So stay out of my business!
Who cares about the sheep, anyway. But since your preference is for air from the Andes, perhaps we should consider the llamas?

-ERD50 (you guys are cracking me up!)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #77

Quote:

This reminds me of the Bizarro comic earlier this week of the national air museum. Perhaps there is also an international air museum.
http://www.bizarrocomics.com/wp-cont...l-01-25-12.jpg
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Pleeeease, everbody knows, the best air comes from Druidia!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #79
Administrator

I have found that opening up a can of fresh alpine air tends to make the house too arid for our taste, forcing us to run the humidifier with spring water from Fiji.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have found that opening up a can of fresh alpine air tends to make the house too arid for our taste, forcing us to run the humidifier with spring water from Fiji.
Me, too. But ever since I read that article where Martha Stewart shows how to make your own fresh air by mixing pure nitrogen, oxygen, and a few trace gases just to liven it up and make it more festive, I've been breathing much easier.