Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Open windows in winter
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Administrator

Open windows in winter

My neighbor keeps her second floor window open. This is Northshore Chicago – hot and humid summer, very cold winter. During the summer I assumed she did that to let out the hot air and help cool the house. Now, however, it’s 10 degrees at night and 20 during the day and the window is still open 4 to 6 inches. It’s sometimes closed but the position changes frequently, so it’s not that she forgot or is unaware.

Why would someone do that, especially in such cold weather? DW says she just “likes fresh air”.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She's a spy and she is sending a signal!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She does not pay her own utility bills.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It's for fresh air. My sister in law does the same thing in the winter. Brrrrrrrrr!
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

She has lots of sweaters she likes to wear....to bed?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do the same thing, with a furnace running the air inside becomes very dry. It makes the house much more comfortable to get fresh air inside whenever possible.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Despite the fact that I am perpetually cold, even in winter I keep a couple of bedroom windows open a crack (not 4 to 6 inches, though). I like to have that tiny bit of fresh air entering the house.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I do the same thing, with a furnace running the air inside becomes very dry. It makes the house much more comfortable to get fresh air inside whenever possible.

Why not get a whole house humidifier for the furnace? We have one, it's great. The water is flushed through it so it doesn't really need much cleaning, it has a humidistat, turns on/off automatically. I keep it set just high enough so that we don't get shocks or feel too dry. No moving parts, just a water valve/solenoid. The furnace fan pulls the air through it.

edit/add: Can't pass up a chance to rant on this - So some of these 'open window' people will get money from their fellow citizens to buy a "high efficiency furnace" or to add whether stripping or insulation - and then they leave the windows open! :no: How come the govt doesn't pay me to keep my doors/windows shut and my thermostat low?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I keep enough windows open all the time to ensure flow through of air. About 3 hours before I intend to sleep, I close the bedroom door and open my bedroom window fairly wide, unless there is a stiff wind blowing from the west in which case I open an inch or so. By bedtime it is cool, and before the night is over it is cold. When I lived alone up in the country I sometimes found my water frozen by my bed by morning.

Sometimes I wrap a blanket around my head. Like dogs, men are happiest with a cold nose.

Ha
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
gone traveling

My next door neighbor is a Russian emigrant, who lived in Moscow. She does the same thing (and uses her heat pump very little, regardless of season).

Different strokes ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Travelover is onto the game. She is not paying the heating bill.

In winter outdoor humidity is pretty low to begin with. If a house's indoor humidity is way low in the winter, it is because it leaks like a sieve.

Constant infiltration of outside air drops humidity like a rock.

In a well sealed house with normal activity the humidity level goes up, not down. So if humidtiy is low get out he caulking gun, buy a dozen tubes of a caulk and seal up cracks. start at the uppermost level with ceiling fixtures, pipes, chimney chases etc. oh yeah an close the window(s).

The house tends to act like a chimney, heated air escapes at top cold air sucked in at the bottom.

There was a previous thread on the subject of low humidity last year about this time.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In winter outdoor humidity is pretty low to begin with. If a house's indoor humidity is way low in the winter, it is because it leaks like a sieve.

Constant infiltration of outside air drops humidity like a rock.

In a well sealed house with normal activity the humidity level goes up, not down.
That is what I was thinking too - thanks for confirming it. Seems like Nodak is doing things backwards here?

Quote:
Travelover is onto the game. She is not paying the heating bill.
Probably the case - though my MIL would sleep with her BR window open a crack. We just lower the thermostat at night. Most homes have more than enough leakage in winter.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hot flashes?....
Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Administrator

The windows have no condensation so there is no indoor humidifier, or if there is, it is set low. The window is not open ‘a crack”, it is at least 4 inches, sometimes more. That has to bleed a whole lot of warm air.

It’s not just at night, it’s day and night, but just this one window. I don’t know which room it is.

I do not remember seeing this last year. When the temperature falls I walk the dog (unrewarded heroic marital sacrifice) and our route is past her house, twice a day. She is recently separated but I can’t believe someone would be that wasteful.

If it’s too stuffy inside or she prefers things a bit a cooler, why not just turn down the heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hot flashes?....
Could be. But still, why not just turn down the thermostat?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Maybe there is a body in that room
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Could be. But still, why not just turn down the thermostat?
Mmmm...you've never had a hot flash...have you?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I grew up in cold country and quite a few people used to leave their windows open at night. I too prefer my bedroom to be briskly cold. Last night our bedroom temp was around 65F and it was still too warm for me.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Heat balance can be difficult in older homes, with the downstairs cold and the upstairs hot. We would have tenants on the third floor of one of our buildings that would do this, much to our dismay.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have more than 1 co-worker who leaves their window open to get fresh air before sleeping even in Wisconsin winter. I don't get it but as long as they can afford the bill then they can do what they want.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I grew up in cold country and quite a few people used to leave their windows open at night. I too prefer my bedroom to be briskly cold. Last night our bedroom temp was around 65F and it was still too warm for me.
An older friend of mine lived up in the BC Okanagan. He always slept on his open porch. Okanagan is not exactly North Dakota or Manitoba, but it isn't subtropical either. Lots of people like to sleep cold.

Many of us just like to be cool. I have an old LL Bean Thinsulate jacket that my brother gave me in 1980 when he moved from Minnasota to Texas. In a normal winter I may not wear it at all, just my Dickies windbreaker and a sweater. Two years ago it was cold for a while, and I wore it for 2 weeks. I won't ever get rid of it, it is too light and warm to give up even if I rarely need it.

You would be amazed how many people are sitting out on the sidewalk having their coffee or sandwiches with temps in the low 40s. And young people hanging out in front of bars to smoke in tee shirts no matter what the temp. Older women don't seem to put up with this easily, so one sacrifice if you want to be with a women is that you will also be too hot.

Ha