Open windows in winter

Just curious. I have a 38 year old house with original windows and we open the door many times per day even if we never leave the house. I am assuming we get plenty of "fresh air" circulating passively from not having an air tight house.

+1. A "tight" home (one that professionals might judge to need active ventilation, possibly using a heat recovery system) experiences natural air infiltration to the extent that less than 1/4th of the air in the home is exchanged with the outside air every hour. (Source) Most homes fall well short of this, with Estimated Natural Infiltration Rates (ENIRs) of .35 to over 1 per hour. Given the amount of outside air that comes into the average home under normal circumstances, opening the windows to get "fresh air" seems unnecessary unless there's something generating a lot of "pollution" inside (CO/H2O from a room heater, large amounts of water vapor from cooking/washing clothes/showers, etc).

I've never heard a sensible explanation for why authorities tell people to stay in their homes when air pollution levels are high--am I supposed to believe that ozone levels inside my house are materially different than outside?

We have the original 36 year old single pane wooden windows with aluminum storms on our house. The term "tight" is not applicable for us :whistle:. It's been cold and windy lately and the constant rattle of the storms and movement of the curtains lets us know that we are getting plenty of fresh air infiltration. Most of our neighbors have double and triple pane new storms with argon gas insulation. What fun is that?? This way we give the cold a fighting chance :angel:. Plus, we feel a lot better about the carbon monoxide level (we have oil heat) with leaky windows.

I've never heard a sensible explanation for why authorities tell people to stay in their homes when air pollution levels are high--am I supposed to believe that ozone levels inside my house are materially different than outside?

I think this advice is right there with "duck and cover" in case of nuclear attack.

She does not pay her heating bill or is rich or not informed ...

Here in Canada the Great White North, window manufacturers try to improve the efficiency of windows so that it keeps the heat inside. Windows are at least double pane, some are even triple pane to keep the heat inside.

Home owners spend thousands of dollars to replace their leaky old windows with newer windows.

If I left my windows open in the winter, I would go broke :)

Go figure ...

--am I supposed to believe that ozone levels inside my house are materially different than outside?

I have no data or expert knowledge, but it seems that inside air most likely contains exactly the same pollutants as outside air plus whatever gets added by outgassing and other indoor pollution sources. It might well be true that the concentrations of outdoor source pollutants exhibit damped and time-lagged fluctuations, relative to outside.

But after all, all air was "outside air" at one time. :)

Ha

Couple of things I've taken some time to get used to here in paradise: Local people dig in their closets for hooded sweat shirts or even winter coats (like we used to wear in the midwest) when the temp drops down into the 60s (at night). Second, no window in our place closes tightly. They close enough to keep the rain out, but that's about it. With all the windows closed, there's a gale force wind blowing though the place when the trades are running at 20. I actually like the breezes at night but I guess I lived too long where we ran around stuffing rags into air leaks in the winter time.

Here, if it gets really cold (below 60) we throw a blanket over the sheet.

I have no data or expert knowledge, but it seems that inside air most likely contains exactly the same pollutants as outside air plus whatever gets added by outgassing and other indoor pollution sources. It might well be true that the concentrations of outdoor source pollutants exhibit damped and time-lagged fluctuations, relative to outside.

But after all, all air was "outside air" at one time. :)

Ha
That's what I think, too. So why do the local air quality officials everywhere tell people to stay inside when the air quality gets cruddy? It's just as cruddy, or worse, inside.

This morning Frank is coming over early, so I actually set my alarm. When it was time to get up, I jumped up, showered, dressed, brushed my hair, made the bed, put away laundry and started another load, made coffee, unplugged my cell phone and put it in my purse, started the dishwasher and took out the trash... all in the first ten minutes after awakening. ZING! This is how I enjoy starting the day, an old habit after years of w*rk.

Once the coffee was done, I opened the side door and turned down the heat. Right now I am enjoying the cool, fresh, well oxygenated 41F air flowing through the house as I rest and drink my morning coffee. I think inside air gets stuffy after a while and when I have been running around like that, outside air is nice and cool. I regard it as free air conditioning.

I'll probably close the door in few minutes.

Last edited:
Fresh air lover

Ever since discovering the concept of opening a window no matter what the temperature or weather is doing outside, I have been enjoying optimum health. I find that living with fresh air helps me think clearly. My skin is radiant and I feel so alive. Especially at night when I sleep, I put on two layers of warm pj's, use two heavy wool comforters, and even throw my down coat over the bed and wear a hat if I have to, but that window has to be wide open with fresh air blowing in my face. I wouldn't dare keep windows shut. If I did I wake up feeling like I'm dead and my respiratory system and head feels like it's filled with cement. There really is a big difference when you let in the natural fresh air from outside, mixed with the artificial dry indoor heated air. So I can very easily understand why people open windows in the winter when they're running heat. Sometimes it's wiser to pay the extra in energy bills than to save the money so you can give it to the medical society later when you become effected by lack of fresh air. Fresh air entering a building also keeps odors away. And for those with breathing problems, I find cooler, thinner outside air easier to breathe than thick, dusty, heated and stale indoor air. For the neighbor that keeps her window open 24/7 adjusting it accordingly, she's in tune with the outside elements which we all should be. After all, we're all living things evolved from the earth and if the animals can connect with it, why can't we? We're the only living things that seal ourselves up in airtight constructions - sometimes all year! I lived in a new 'formaldehyde-laden' trailer for 8 years and needed my windows wide open most of the year. It was very disturbing to know a neighbor had nothing better to do than keep a vigil on my lifestyle - was SHE the one paying our electric bill for the heaters or was it none of her business? Anyhow, I just want to say to all those who leave their windows open that they have the right idea and to not let anyone discourage them to continue enjoying themselves. Can't wait to get under my covers by that open window! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Too nippy for me to leave a window open no matter how cold. But when the temp is too cold for me, I do the next best thing -- I run an air purifier which does of good job of keeping the air fresh.

Ever since discovering the concept of opening a window no matter what the temperature or weather is doing outside, I have been enjoying optimum health. I find that living with fresh air helps me think clearly. My skin is radiant and I feel so alive. Especially at night when I sleep, I put on two layers of warm pj's, use two heavy wool comforters, and even throw my down coat over the bed and wear a hat if I have to, but that window has to be wide open with fresh air blowing in my face. I wouldn't dare keep windows shut. If I did I wake up feeling like I'm dead and my respiratory system and head feels like it's filled with cement. There really is a big difference when you let in the natural fresh air from outside, mixed with the artificial dry indoor heated air. So I can very easily understand why people open windows in the winter when they're running heat. Sometimes it's wiser to pay the extra in energy bills than to save the money so you can give it to the medical society later when you become effected by lack of fresh air. Fresh air entering a building also keeps odors away. And for those with breathing problems, I find cooler, thinner outside air easier to breathe than thick, dusty, heated and stale indoor air. For the neighbor that keeps her window open 24/7 adjusting it accordingly, she's in tune with the outside elements which we all should be. After all, we're all living things evolved from the earth and if the animals can connect with it, why can't we? We're the only living things that seal ourselves up in airtight constructions - sometimes all year! I lived in a new 'formaldehyde-laden' trailer for 8 years and needed my windows wide open most of the year. It was very disturbing to know a neighbor had nothing better to do than keep a vigil on my lifestyle - was SHE the one paying our electric bill for the heaters or was it none of her business? Anyhow, I just want to say to all those who leave their windows open that they have the right idea and to not let anyone discourage them to continue enjoying themselves. Can't wait to get under my covers by that open window! :ROFLMAO:
Hello Debnose and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have pretty strong feelings about outdoor life. Good for you. As for a neighbor keeping a vigil, I do hope you weren't referring to me.

I'm in MN and had a window open about 4" yesterday. It was a warmer winter day (20s) and about this time of year I crave fresh air to air out the house. The window I always open is in a spare bathroom where the cats' litter is kept and, while I scrupulous about cleaning the litter box, the room does need venting every so often. I do close the window at night. Another possibility about your neighbor's window: maybe the window is broken/stuck in an upright position? This happened to a window in my house when a cord got messed up and stuck internally in the sash.

The two neighbors closest to us (several hundred feet away) never crack a window, that we have ever observed. Neither did their predecessors in those houses (we are original owners) Whereas, we enjoy fresh air all spring and fall, most of the summer, and any time during the occasional milder winter when daytime temperatures get into the 50's. I have loved the smell of fresh air ever since I can remember.

Have no idea, and no interest in knowing, if the neighbors are less healthy than we are. (They're quite a bit younger, so probably healthier by default!)

On the topic of "air warnings," I agree that they seem counterintuitive. I always heard the reason is to keep people with respiratory problems, and also runners, off of streets when vehicles are putting out lots of pollution, which the temperature inversion layer (or whatever) is preventing from dissipating.

Amethyst

Fresh air lover

Hello Debnose and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have pretty strong feelings about outdoor life. Good for you. As for a neighbor keeping a vigil, I do hope you weren't referring to me.

Since I don't know you personally, no, I'm not referring to you. This article just brought back some unpleasant memories of harassment I once tolerated from a nosy trouble-making neighbor. It will always agitate the hell out of me though, that people can be so concerned with the way another person is living their life so much as to observe when and if they open their windows! We don't all think on the same level, and I for one, view opening a window even during the winter while the heat is on or turned down depending on the temperature outside, as a wise and vital choice; whereas others (...I call them sheep) view it as wasting energy when they would be better off prioritizing the quality and essential humidity in the air they breathe 24/7. Again, no offense to you, personally... good thread right up my alley, that's why I stopped by. :flowers:

May I hazard an interesting ethnic stereotype? No offense meant to anyone: it is just an observation! I've lived for extended periods in both a Germanic city (Vienna) and a Latin city (Rome). The Austrians were always throwing windows open for fresh air. The Romans are always closing windows and are typically suspicious of fresh air. Case in point: once in Rome I was travelling with a couple students on an overheated bus in mid summer, standing room only with people, as is typical, pressed closely together, and one of my students turned white as a sheet and was about to faint. We went to open the window and a chorus of voices refused, insisting it would let in the "bad air"--mal-eria. It was an interesting cultural moment!

May I hazard an interesting ethnic stereotype? No offense meant to anyone: it is just an observation! I've lived for extended periods in both a Germanic city (Vienna) and a Latin city (Rome). The Austrians were always throwing windows open for fresh air. The Romans are always closing windows and are typically suspicious of fresh air. Case in point: once in Rome I was travelling with a couple students on an overheated bus in mid summer, standing room only with people, as is typical, pressed closely together, and one of my students turned white as a sheet and was about to faint. We went to open the window and a chorus of voices refused, insisting it would let in the "bad air"--mal-eria. It was an interesting cultural moment!

I am amazed at how some people think that all outside are is fresher than inside.. they must not have lived in NY or London, or for that matter Houston...

I agree that there are a lot of places with fresh air... and I enjoy our trips to the state an national parks where you can smell a difference....

An interesting note.... when I lived in London I was in my living room one day and thought it was colder than normal.... and felt a draft... I went looking to see if I had an open window or something... well, there was an open exhaust pipe to the outside that was hidden behind a couch... and since it was windy outside it was blowing more into my flat... seems that they required a fresh air source and this fit the bill...

Since I don't know you personally, no, I'm not referring to you. This article just brought back some unpleasant memories of harassment I once tolerated from a nosy trouble-making neighbor. It will always agitate the hell out of me though, that people can be so concerned with the way another person is living their life so much as to observe when and if they open their windows! We don't all think on the same level, and I for one, view opening a window even during the winter while the heat is on or turned down depending on the temperature outside, as a wise and vital choice; whereas others (...I call them sheep) view it as wasting energy when they would be better off prioritizing the quality and essential humidity in the air they breathe 24/7. Again, no offense to you, personally... good thread right up my alley, that's why I stopped by. :flowers:

I find it interesting that you don't want to be judged by your neighbor, but you judge those who choose to keep their windows closed and call them 'sheep' and presume to know what is better for them. BTW, I think much of what you say has no basis in fact. Allowing outside air in and then heating it will decrease humidity further. One of the issues with super-tight houses is they build up too much humidity, and require a heat exchanging ventilator (bringing outside air w/o wasting much energy).

Maybe there is more to the story, but noticing that the neighbors windows are always open or shut isn't necessarily (and likely isn't) being nosy. Sometimes you just notice things.

If you prefer the window open, that's fine and it's your business. But don't assume that others don't also know what is best for them and their pocketbook, and the environment (not adding more pollution by heating to make up for the open window).

-ERD50

I don't know about you guys but I actually buy imported fresh air from the foothills of the Andes. Open up a couple gallons of that stuff in your house and whammo - instant fresh air! No need to open up your window and let those frigid breezes blow in.

I understand that some would claim the carbon footprint from flying my bottles of fresh air up to the USA makes consumption of these items not environmentally conscious and to those sheep I say mind your own business, you don't know what is best for me or the environment. So stay out of my business! :)

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys but I actually buy imported fresh air from the foothills of the Andes. Open up a couple gallons of that stuff in your house and whammo - instant fresh air! No need to open up your window and let those frigid breezes blow in.

Why import it? You can get fresh air in a can from Febreze. :D

Why import it? You can get fresh air in a can from Febreze. :D

You must be an amateur breather of fresh air. The best fresh air comes from a certain region at the base of the Andes. Crack open a bottle of that stuff and man you can tell the difference between it and febreeze!

You must be an amateur breather of fresh air. The best fresh air comes from a certain region at the base of the Andes. Crack open a bottle of that stuff and man you can tell the difference between it and febreeze!

I am indeed no connoisseur of fresh air. I don't trust air I can't see in fact. When it comes out of a can of air freshener, you can see all the droplets of goodness.:)

Back
Top Bottom