Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Opening a Sentry safe
Old 04-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
A couple of well placed shotgun blasts would have woken up the whole block .....saved alot of time

Edit for spelling :
Is this really true? I suspect that would do quite a bit of dammage but it wouldn't provide access to the inside. Does anyone know for certain?
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
Is this really true? I suspect that would do quite a bit of dammage but it wouldn't provide access to the inside. Does anyone know for certain?
Damage to whom or what: the shooter, the safe, or its contents?

Sounds like it's time for Bill Nye the Science Guy, or Mythbusters!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to see CFB do a guest spot on Mythbusters!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Me too, but they wouldnt like it. Every time I watch the show I spot about a hundred inconsistencies, bad assumptions and not particularly good science. But I enjoy watching it for some reason.

My favorite to this day is the 'jaws' episode, where they said "We're going to see if the shark in jaws could have done what they showed in the movie. The shark in jaws was 25 feet and would have weighed xxxxlbs. The largest great white shark caught on record was 21 feet and weighed yyyylbs. So we're going to build a 21 foot model that weighs yyyy lbs."

In that case, you are NOT testing to see if the shark in jaws could have done what was shown in the movie, but rather what the largest actual shark caught could have done.

Its always fun to see someone state their intentions, they do something completely different, if not mildly relevant.

I'm thinking the shotgun blasts would have been pretty effective for opening it, but wouldnt have been particularly good on the contents. My original plan to monster truck over it would have been very effective providing the sheet metal didnt pierce the tire in the process. It was thin enough that maybe 500lbs on the diagonal would have collapsed it pretty good.

By the way, my new 'safe' is a giant costco quaker oats box. Not as fireproof but a lot easier to open if we lose the keys.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
By the way, my new 'safe' is a giant costco quaker oats box. Not as fireproof but a lot easier to open if we lose the keys.
Aw, man, everybody knows how to open that combination!

Good thing you moved...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Me too, but they wouldnt like it. Every time I watch the show I spot about a hundred inconsistencies, bad assumptions and not particularly good science. But I enjoy watching it for some reason.
"Jamie wants Big boom!"

I've no delusions about their scientific rigor, but it's still a hoot to watch. (though the last few months they've seemed to be running out of myths to bust) DH will occasionally suggest an alternative methodology for a given test that would be more accurate. Inevitably it wouldn't make as good TV as what was actually done, and/or would bust their budget.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Not as good as CFB's story ... and no pictures .... But worth the read. The last property I bought had a Meilink safe on the property. Thing had to be a 4 foot cube. Property was bank owned for years so I assumed some thieves just dumped it. Called the police with the serial number to see if it was stolen ... nothing. Called the company and learned that the model had a programable combo.

Called a lock smith who explained that Meilink safes are picked from the inside. For $500 and a notarized letter claiming ownership, he would drill a hole in the door and reach inside with scopes and pick the lock. Sooo I figured it might be nice to have if it worked... but I need to move it. Put my appliance dolly on it and tried to rock it back on the dolly ... didn't budge. I am over 200 lbs ... swinging ALL my weight on the top of an appliance dolly and this beast doesn't move an inch. At that point I knew it was scrap metal ...but WHAT's INSIDE?

I had hired a crew to rehab the building. So I said to the contractor, "I owned it, you open it; we'll split the contents." Sooo he said to the crew " open it on your own time we share 1/2 the contents." Many days - and a jack hammer - later, I am told the only thing in the safe was Service Merchandise credit applications and empty jewlrey boxes (I was working at mega corp when they cracked it open).

Talking to the crew after the safe was fork lifted into the dumpster I learned that it was made up of layers of metal and concrete. The center chamber was just a 1 foot cube. The weight was an obvious deterent.
Sounds like you ran into a "real" safe! Most likely a TL-30 safe that weighs +3000lbs. I always wanted to get a real safe for my home, not that I have anything of great value. I just like safes. My perference would be to get one made out of solid steel rather than an composite (concrete + steel). Composite safes have walls like 8" thick, steel safes would only have 1 inch think walls. This gives you a lot more room on the inside.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My husband wanted a safe in our new home...anyway I think that was his intention. A long time ago he purchased a bank vault door and had it stored in his father's garage. When we built this house, he wanted that vault door installed in our basement, as the entry way into the little room that was under our basement steps. My husband and our builder got as far as moving the portion that the door attaches to...I don't know what it's called. It was a heavy sucker. At that point they gave up. So now, I have this wierd looking rusty monster of a doorway that is probably 12 inches deep in my basement. In case we ever have an earthquake, I have a place to go.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #29

CFB,

I can't imagine what you were like as a little boy. I bet you gave your parents a run for their money!!

Saw, pry bar, wine and sunglasses. That is too funny!
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I spent a lot of time in the emergency room, was well known by our family physician, and took a lot of stitches.

Most of these events were usually precluded by a speech telling me not to do something, which I ended up doing, which ended in the injury.

That sunglasses/dark thing was a lame Blues Brothers reference. But I couldnt find my protective glasses, so the sunglasses had to do during the parts where metal bits were in the air.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Two quick comments...

If you fasten your safe to a floor, and drill holes in the floor through the carpet, cut the carpet around the hole first. Otherwise the drill bit may grab a carpet thread, and pull out a whole row. That is, as you drill, you'll see a little line zip across the carpeting as the thread is rolled up on the drill bit.

If you forget the combination to a three digit luggage combination lock, it doesn't take long to go through all 1,000 combinations to find the secret number.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Recommendations for a home safe?

Did a search on "fire safes" and this is the closest thread, so here goes.... does anyone have a recommendation on what size/type safe to buy? Our really important documents are in the safe deposit box at the bank, but we need something to store/protect the stuff we keep in the house. Appreciate any help and advice!. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #33

Most any will work but bigger is better. Two things to look out for is dampness inside (if "airtight") which leads to mildew and mold and they need to be bolted or chained down to be safe. Personally, I would get a steel box maybe made at a sheet metal shop and use a good sized padlock. There is enough air circulating from the seams and a good lock will deter all but the really determined crook.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Did a search on "fire safes" and this is the closet thread, so here goes.... does anyone have a recommendation on what size/type safe to buy? Our really important documents are in the safe deposit box at the bank, but we need something to store/protect the stuff we keep in the house. Appreciate any help and advice!. Thanks!
What ever you buy just make sure you don't tell CFB where the safe is. I think he is going to audition for a part in Oceans 16.

I missed this thread, the first time what a riot
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Aha, I have stumbled upon the secret "how to be a cat burglar thread."
Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Jeez and I thought I did a "...and now for the rest of the story..." on this one.

The keys finally turned up during the summer, some months after the OP was written. I had made a keychain of keys up for Gabe to play with a couple of years ago, and the first handful of generally unused keys that I grabbed from the magic box o' keys included the safe keys.

I see that in the OP I was also being gracious to my wife. I actually didnt know where the keys were because I'd never locked the safe and had no intention of locking it; it was for fireproofing only. When she went up to the old house (where the safe was still hanging out) to get her documents, she decided that the first step to opening an unlocked safe was to spin the combination lock, which of course causes the previously unlocked safe to lock. This was a "twofer" lock too...it required turning a key and then keying in a combination into the keypad. I had a pretty good idea where the paperwork with the factory combination on it was, and found that...but the location of the "wont ever need these..." keys remained a secret until last July or August when Gabe whipped out "his" set of keys and I saw the round key hanging on it.

DOH!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Unbelievable! This forum has absolutely everything!

I have been out in the garage for the last couple of hours trying to rip apart a Sentry safe whose handle has broken. We have two, and I don't think this one has anything important in it, but there's something rattling around in there, I'm retired and can do whatever I want whenever I want, and I like to destroy things.

The reason we have two is that we bought one (years ago), but it was defective. I called Sentry and they said they'd send me a new one. After a couple of weeks I hadn't seen it, so I called again. Three days later I came home from w*rk and there were 2 150 lb. safes sitting at my front door. I called Sentry again, but for some reason they didn't want to pay to ship the extra one back. So, two safes. I set them up redneck style, one on top of the other. I did put the broken one out with the trash and somebody hauled it away.

Anyway, we moved and when we got to the new place I couldn't get one of them open. The handle broke. So I stuck it in the garage for a couple of years. I dug it out the other day and decided to see how hard it was to break into.

Hard! Very hard! I sawed through the hinges with a hacksaw, and started peeling back the metal cover. So I'm happily sitting there digging out all this chunky white drywall-y looking stuff when DW strolls by and says "I hope that isn't asbestos."

So a quick but thorough shower later I'm on the computer trying to see what it is. The Sentry site doesn't specify the material that I can find so I head over to Google. After a couple of friendly and helpful lawyers telling me what to do after I get Mesothelioma, the very first hit is this thread. Good old CFB! Not only do I discover I'm probably not going to die of that particular cancer, but I figure out what I'm doing wrong. I don't like Chardoney, but I think my Macallan single malt should do the trick.

I'll let you know if I actually find anything in there. Hopefully I won't destroy the contents in the process.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

This thread really should be stickied. I am looking forward to Harley's Geraldo Rivera moment as he opens the safe to discover that what is inside is the paperwork for Variable Annuity contract long ago rolled over
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Unbelievable! This forum has absolutely everything!
Really! Everything?? But I still have not seen any credible thread here telling EXACTLY when to "buy low and sell high".

Anyway, your post calls for some pictures of said safe. And what is that white stuff then?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Really! Everything?? But I still have not seen any credible thread here telling EXACTLY when to "buy low and sell high".

Anyway, your post calls for some pictures of said safe. And what is that white stuff then?
I'll take some pics tomorrow. As far as the white stuff, I had it pretty much right when I said wallboard-y. It's gypsum, according to Telly in post 15.

As far as the investing, I'm sure ONE of the thousands of posts made on this topic is right. Just pick that one.