Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

A bit late; but, possibly still useful from a posting on another board: Travel & Activities : Weather Underground

Pick Road Trip/Dive in the Event Type drop down and then fill out the location (major cities worked well for me) and departure information (dates and times) before clicking the Plan and Map Your Trip! button which gives you a Google style map with predicted weather conditions all along the route.

Safe travels.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
A bit late; but, possibly still useful from a posting on another board: Travel & Activities : Weather Underground

Pick Road Trip/Dive in the Event Type drop down and then fill out the location (major cities worked well for me) and departure information (dates and times) before clicking the Plan and Map Your Trip! button which gives you a Google style map with predicted weather conditions all along the route.

Safe travels.
Thank you for taking the time to post. I just stopped for the night in Cheyenne, Wy. Tomorrow I have to decided whether to take the longer 80 to I-5 route or the shorter but maybe riskier I-84 route. So far the weather has been beautiful, I hope it stays that way.

The dog is doing well so far and her appettite has been good which is a good sign.

-helen

Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Thank you for taking the time to post. I just stopped for the night in Cheyenne, Wy. Tomorrow I have to decided whether to take the longer 80 to I-5 route or the shorter but maybe riskier I-84 route. So far the weather has been beautiful, I hope it stays that way.

The dog is doing well so far and her appettite has been good which is a good sign.

-helen
If there is even a hint of snow over Donner they won't let you over without chains so you may want to watch the weather and plan appropriately (e.g. plan to stay in Reno if necessary).

If you have chains and it snows, they do have a lot of guys that will put your chains on and take them off at the appropriate spots. I think that it is about $20 but if you haven't done it I would recommend that you pay them to do it.

I do the drive from the Bay Area to SLC once or twice a year. Most people are bored silly driving across Nevada. I kind of like it

MB
Old 12-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #44

Thanks, MB. I think I will stop and buy chains. I've decided to go the I-84 route. It should be pretty and it looks like the temps will warm to the above freezing level.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #45

I rolled into my driveway about noon yesterday, so it took from noon on Wed. to noon on Sunday. I took I84 though Idaho and eastern Oregon. I really lucked out on the weather, the worst thing I went through was fog.

Sandy is doing very well, she's even adapted to the other dog and two cats already. She has energy and seems to be feeling well.

Thanks again for all who followed this thread.

-helen
Old 12-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you're safe and sound. Good job by both you and your new canine friend.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #47
gone traveling

Congratulations on a safe trip.

What do your neighbors think of your new Caddy??
Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #48

I missed your last post and was wondering how the trip was going. I'm glad you made it home safely and Sandy is settling in.