Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I can't ride a DF bike anymore and have a recumbent that is a whole lot more comfortable on ride.
I know someone who did the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes on a motorized scooter in her early 90's (not all at once, but hey!). That's my ideal for an activity level after the body gives out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ahhh, if people only would try a recumbent for a few rides a lot more people would switch to that kind of bike. Kind of strange at first, but if all you are doing is road riding it is a lot more comfortable. I used to ride nice bikes...then my butt went for some reason (just lost the ability to sit on a seat...tried all kinds..really kind of strange), then my neck went so I could ride for much more than an hour without increasing discomfort, then had a bike wreck in Okinawa that caused my left hand to go numb after riding for 20-30 minutes, now....many many calf/achilles pulls...nowhere near 90, only 53. Al is doing some things I hope to do.....but without the camping bit. I would love to ride the NW and stay in motels after doing 100-200miles a day.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

How many frying pans did you bring?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
How many frying pans did you bring?
Three. Next time I think we'll take about six. It's great to just throw one away instead of cleaning it. Not very earth friendly, however.

A limiting factor for camping is making it through the night without having to get up and pee. If it's 40 degrees out and raining at 3 AM, I'd rather have my bladder explode than get up. So, no more hanging around the campfire having a few beers. Now it's no drinking after 6 PM.

The big Coleman air bed is as comfortable as our mattress at home, and the pump is fast and convenient. Comfort used to be the limiting factor.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A limiting factor for camping is making it through the night without having to get up and pee. If it's 40 degrees out and raining at 3 AM, I'd rather have my bladder explode than get up. So, no more hanging around the campfire having a few beers. Now it's no drinking after 6 PM.
I'm surprised you are not considering a small RV - even a small Coleman pop up.
Is one in your future?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a friend who hightailed it out of Houston with her two little kids and moved up to Couer d'Alene, because she loved the scenery; so, I really enjoyed seeing what it was like. Thanks much, Al!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

When we tent camp and are not backpacking we use a coffee can with a lid.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I'm surprised you are not considering a small RV - even a small Coleman pop up.
Is one in your future?
No, I don't want the extra bother of either trailing something or driving a big vehicle.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fabulous pictures Al thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really enjoyed your pictures. It looks like you both had a great trip.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Great trip, Al. I've always wondered about the Nords ID area and Sandpoint (home of Backwoods Solar). Coeur D'Alene is close enough.

With all the riding and cold weather, have you and Lena ever estimated your calorie consumption? Any windburn/frostbite issues? Flats or problems finding parts?

Can we mail you our next macadamia harvest? All you'll have to do is crack them open!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Great pictures Al. Those really inspire me for a trip out that way, some day. Nice of you to play at the nursing home.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Nice of you to play at the nursing home.
Yes it is.

One word of caution. For many years my dad was in a singing group that performed at nursing homes. We would often tease him that he needed to be sure all his papers were in order because one day they might not let him leave after a performance. Unfortunately that's pretty much how it worked out...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Great trip, Al. I've always wondered about the Nords ID area and Sandpoint (home of Backwoods Solar). Coeur D'Alene is close enough.
We went up to Sandpoint also, but it was raining the whole time we were there (at the Howard Johnsons). It was pretty built up, kind of like Lake Tahoe.

Quote:
With all the riding and cold weather, have you and Lena ever estimated your calorie consumption? Any windburn/frostbite issues? Flats or problems finding parts?
It was only cold at night so no problems with windburn while riding. I only had one flat, which was easily fixed.

They say about 30 calories per mile, or 1700 for a 57 mile ride. But I have come around to the opinion that exercise doesn't help much in losing weight or staying trim. It makes you hungrier, which compensates for the calories burned.

I used to think that staying trim was 50/50 diet/exercise. Now I'd say it's more like 90/10.

Quote:
Can we mail you our next macadamia harvest? All you'll have to do is crack them open!
Class, do you know why macadamia nuts are so expensive?

Is it because the trees yield little fruit? No, macadamia trees produce generously. Is it because they’re exotic — native to Australia but grown mostly in Hawaii, so transportation costs are exorbitant? Transportation costs are a factor, certainly, but many nuts are tropical and include transportation in a more modest retail price. Is it because of their high fat content? No, pecans have a very high fat content, too, at a more sensible price. Is it because they’re so tasty? Partly, but there are lots of tasty nuts out there that cost less.

Now class, repeat after me, "macadamia nuts are outrageously expensive because it is so hard to open the shells without smashing the nuts to oblivion."

Macadamias have always been known for their extreme difficulty in shelling, as the shells are the hardest in the nut family. It takes 300 pounds per square inch of pressure to crack the shell. Yes, macadamia nuts in the shell can be anywhere from 40% to 85% cheaper than shelled nuts, but because they’re so hard to open, they are seldom available in the shell.

Sadly, we at Ochef once had a very embarrassing scene involving the attempted cracking of macadamia nuts outside in the dark of night that, well, we’d rather keep to ourselves. Suffice it to say that we’re not sure to this day where some of those nuts wound up.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, I was wondering about the diet & exercise. It's not as fun as "Younger Next Year" makes it sound...

Quote:
Now class, repeat after me, "macadamia nuts are outrageously expensive because it is so hard to open the shells without smashing the nuts to oblivion."
Well, I guess you'd have to factor in the payback from one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack_a_mac.jpg (683.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes it is.

One word of caution. For many years my dad was in a singing group that performed at nursing homes. We would often tease him that he needed to be sure all his papers were in order because one day they might not let him leave after a performance. Unfortunately that's pretty much how it worked out...
Awww that's too bad. My aunt only lived in one for 3 months before she passed. Initially I was pretty depressed about her going in one, but she took it like a trooper. Didn't seem to bother her. But, when your not completely on your game.....maybe you have a different perspective.