Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you consider yourself?
Heterosexual 69 82.14%
Homosexual 4 4.76%
Bisexual 5 5.95%
Asexual 2 2.38%
Other 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Orientation
Old 04-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
It would depend which God you are currently channeling. I don't know if you are aware of this but there is a concern in the Jewish community since over 50% of all marriages are now mixed and that Jewish tradition is being lost through love.
long ago i wrote for a jewish newspaper so yes, i have been aware of that for many years already. i am also aware that leviticus is often cited as the primary reason the life of my kind has been made so miserable in this world (assuming i take any of this seriously).

jewish tradition has survived against some fairly surmounted hate for 5,767 years already; likely it will survive modern love as well.

5767 jewish year
4704 chinese year
1063 # of years the jews went without chinese food

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
5767 jewish year
4704 chinese year
1063 # of years the jews went without chinese food
Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
according to this theory, if the church (or temple or mosque, your choice) truly wanted to rid themselves of the hated homosexual and to break the cycle, their only paths are to accept, love and embrace them completely or simply kill us all. what would god do?
Come to think of it, homophobia itself may be a bit of an historical anomaly. Outside of the Judeo-Christo-Islamic tradition(s), how many other religions incorporate institutionalized homophobia (something Leviticus-like, e.g.)? I'm sure there are some, I just don't know how prevalent they are or were.

Note: no judgment of any religion implied here. (Should be obvious, but just in case.)
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Come to think of it, homophobia itself may be a bit of an historical anomaly. Outside of the Judeo-Christo-Islamic tradition(s), how many other religions incorporate institutionalized homophobia (something Leviticus-like, e.g.)? I'm sure there are some, I just don't know how prevalent they are or were.
as i'm neither trained in history nor archeology, i don't know how anyone would know outside of surviving myths (which i'd imagine have been altered over time to serve the current powers that be or that had been), but i would imagine matriarchal societies just as "threatened" as the later patriarchal ones. you might be right or homophobia might have deeper roots.

the leviticus condemnation of gay love can be fairly easy to understand in light of a young and growing nation whereby instruction is given to multiply. some jewish law stems from practical living and example is often given of eating pork. it must not have been too difficult to realize trichinosis came from eating uncooked pig and so pork was declared unkosher. similar for most bottom dwelling seafood like clams and i think also crabs.

"don't quote leviticus to me unless you've recently sacrificed a goat"~~gay saying

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 04-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #25

Quote:
i would imagine matriarchal societies just as "threatened" as the later patriarchal ones.
I wasn't really assuming that matriarchal or patriarchal structure had much to do with it; Classical Greece was patriarchal and homophilic. I'm no anthropologist either, just speculating based on what little I know of other places and times. But just because I don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I wasn't really assuming that matriarchal or patriarchal structure had much to do with it.
nor would i. if something as powerful as patriarchy or matriarchy has no effect then why assume that any of the multiple ethos spun off from there would? if homophilia and homophobia can be found at different times in history, i wonder if it is less cultural and more cyclical.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #27

Quote:

according to this theory, if the church (or temple or mosque, your choice) truly wanted to rid themselves of the hated homosexual and to break the cycle, their only paths are to accept, love and embrace them completely or simply kill us all. what would god do?
I'd be reluctant to present it this way to some of the religious fundamentalists I've heard, of both the Christian and Islamic faiths. They actually believe they KNOW what god would do, and have no compunctions about killing in his name, whether it be in war, capital punishment or whatever reason. Remember--Katrina was god's way of punishing society for all the homosexuality, at least according to Falwell.

I liked what Rosanne Barr had to say--you'd think that people that are disgusted by gay sex would be in favour of gay marriage--after all, why shouldn't gays get less sex like heterosexual married people?

(edited to credit correct person with quote--what was I thinking?)