Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Orlando, FL
Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Orlando, FL

Just wanted express heartfelt sorrow to anyone who had/has family or friends killed or injured. And thanks to the first responders and medical personnel who worked quickly to help, and are continuing their work on this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Everyone here is sort-of subdued...in shock. It's been a very bad week-end, first with the bizarre public killing of Christina Grimmie right after a concert at a small venue in Orlando, and then these killings soon after.

We live just 20 minutes from Walt Disney World and have many neighbors who work there. There has long been the belief that WDW would be targeted because it is marketed as "The Happiest Place on Earth" and the crowds are almost always huge and multi-national. Additionally, WDW could be viewed as an American icon. Security on the property is as good as they can make it....but terrorists will do what they will do regardless. The local belief is that it is just a matter of time.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sad, very sad. Glad that good will triumph evil eventually. Keep that thought.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My heart breaks for all the young women and men that are dead or injured by this senseless crime .
Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My heart breaks for all the young women and men that are dead or injured by this senseless crime .
+1
Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Both events so very sad and disturbing. I'm finding myself trying to turn away from the news coverage.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I had not followed Christina Grimmie until I heard of her death. What a beautiful voice and talent. Tragic.

Our world is increasingly warped.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

...and now the 2 year old and the gator at a Disney property. So sad.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
...and now the 2 year old and the gator at a Disney property. So sad.
Yes....this is a third devastating blow to us locals. We are absolutely heartbroken for this family. For so many families right now....

We live with these reptiles daily, and with a great deal of respect. In general, they are much more afraid of us than we are of them. My only guess is that this alligator had been previously feed by tourists and become brazen. I have been to the beachy area of the Floridian Hotel where this happened many times....it's lovely. But we know that wherever there is a depth of 10 inches or more of fresh water, there may be an alligator.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Yes....this is a third devastating blow to us locals. We are absolutely heartbroken for this family. For so many families right now....

We live with these reptiles daily, and with a great deal of respect. In general, they are much more afraid of us than we are of them. My only guess is that this alligator had been previously feed by tourists and become brazen. I have been to the beachy area of the Floridian Hotel where this happened many times....it's lovely. But we know that wherever there is a depth of 10 inches or more of fresh water, there may be an alligator.
No doubt. We have a house just south of Leesburg and will not let the dogs within 10ft of water.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #11

bad situation, bad all around - his wife should have reported him to the authorities and it likely wouldn't have happened
Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I thought this thread was to express sympathy, not place blame.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought this thread was to express sympathy, not place blame.
I am sympathetic - it's absolutely horrible
Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I am sympathetic - it's absolutely horrible
I'm sympathetic too, although sometimes it takes a shock to stop the numbness from creeping in. Murders are in the media constantly here.

For example, just in Chicago and not counting the balance of the 5 county collar area, we had 24 horrific murders June 1st though June 12th. And it goes on year around sometimes with spurts of activity causing the numbers to shoot way up.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016-chicago-murders
Old 06-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #15

Three tragedies days apart, very sad.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm sympathetic too, although sometimes it takes a shock to stop the numbness from creeping in. Murders are in the media constantly here.

For example, just in Chicago and not counting the balance of the 5 county collar area, we had 24 horrific murders June 1st though June 12th. And it goes on year around sometimes with spurts of activity causing the numbers to shoot way up.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016-chicago-murders
Folks in Orlando have my sympathy.

As for here in Chicago, or do I mean Chiraq, because yes the murders are high. A huge % of them are warring gang members. The Mother's say how their gang member son was a good boy, even when he has a gun on him.
But for me it's harder to feel sympathy for non-innocent victims and gang members are not innocent.