Join Early Retirement Today

OS Moutain Lion
Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OS Moutain Lion

Have any of you Mac owners installed OS Mountain Lion on your machine? If so, what year and model is your computer? What do you think of Mountain Lion on your computer?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Running it now. I have an "early 2009" Mac mini. No problems so far -- I did have to apply a couple of maintenance releases to software to be compatible. And maybe it's a placebo effect but this machine feels a little faster and more responsive now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

Generally an early adopter here, but I always wait for the first bug-fix version of a new OS.
I would expect that to be version 10.8.01 or something like that, and I would expect it in about a week or so.

I definitely like the new pricing scheme: Just $20 and you can install it on all the computers in your family.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I am running it on an early 2011 iMac. I like many of the new features including iCloud integration, notification center, reminders, and powernap. If you are into Facebook or Twitter, I am sure you will enjoy the new "sharing" feature. The new OS seems to be running fine so far. I don't see much change in performance relative to OS X Lion.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I recently went through and updated the 3 macs in our family to LION. I like having everything I support on the same version for troubleshooting purposes. The oldest laptop isn't officially supported by Mountain Lion, so I'm going to pass.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was reading a review of the new MacIntosh OS Lion operating system in today's paper. According to the reviewer the new OS adopts the gatekeeper philosophy somewhat similar to the that on the iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad. That is it tries to limit the user to software that either is purchased through the App Store or is from a registered Apple software developer. The reviewer managed to install some software that did not meet these requirements after what he called 'some sleuthing.' He gave no further details.

After a bit of reading (sleuthing) on a Mac oriented website, I found that the new OS has a Gatekeeper feature. You can tell the Mac how strict you want Gatekeeper to be: It can be set to allow only App store software, or adjusted all the way down to allowing any software (the current system for most of us before Mountain Lion.) And one can apparently set in-between steps. Make certain you tell the Gatekeeper what level of protection you want.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
os mountain lion