Join Early Retirement Today

OT- Dell resellers, mostly for th & wab
Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

OT- Dell resellers, mostly for th & wab

OT but just saw this and would forget it, if I didn't post right away:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=468517
Quote:
Looking at eBay, there appears to be a GLUT of Dell 8400, FlatPanels, and Inspirons ... far more sellers than buyers. It would appear that the recent D3LL promos have been too tempting for resellers to resist. They have managed to scoop up ALL of the bargains ... and now they don't seem able to get their costs out. Many are now selling for less than our scripting resellers paid for them.
Could this be a ploy by D3LL to "punish" resellers? To drive them out of business?
Thought you might find interesting, as I think a few people have commented here about the resellers snatching up Dells, and Wabmester mentioned refurb deals lasting for seconds. I didn't realize some of these people were using programs/scripts to get their deals.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: OT- Dell resellers, mostly for th & wab
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup, competition in the outlet has become very intense. It used to be man vs man. Then it was man vs script. And these days it's mostly script vs script. I posted a suggestion on fatwallet about how Dell could thwart the scripters by making a minor change to their cart algorithm. My idea wasn't well received by the scripters.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've snooped the refurbs from time to time without seeing anything I'd want to buy; mostly overpriced "yesterdays" gear. Well aware of the whole culture thats grown up around this though. There are whole companies (probably one or two people) that just scrounge up refurbs and resell them.

I hope Dell does find a way to put a 'crimp' in this plan...while I love capitalism I also like the idea of having regular people have something of a shot at getting a nice pc at a reduced price. It wouldnt toast my oats as much if some of these 'dealers' werent hiding the fact that the machines are 'refurbs', although I buy a lot of refurbished stuff without problems I sure would like to know what I'm paying for...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
There are whole companies (probably one or two people) that just scrounge up refurbs and resell them.
Yup. If you have ever visited fatwallet, there is a member there named Azuirk who does just that. He has made so much money doing it that he has a Centurian AMEX card, and a nice $1M house (who knows what it's worth now.... this was a few years ago) in the clear. His girlfriend is also pretty hot
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

It's funny that Dell is giving up profit, selling things cheap enough that resellers snatch them up to ebay. Dell could sell on ebay itself, if it increased sales and/or allowed sales at higher prices. Which it seems to, if resellers are doing well.

I hit the button to edit my (original) post, but it doesn't let me move the post to another forum.
If a moderator wants to move this thread to "other topics;" or if that can't be done, delete this thread to clean this admin board; or would rather not bother, and leaves this thread here, in case of any of the above I wouldn't mind.

hmm, I should take a writing class...may have angered the grammer gods
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Done that.

Grammar God

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote

« nm | My Spa is in! »