Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Once had a HUGE fir cut down in B.C.; the logger (almost) literally 'ran' up the tree with 2, (count 'em), 2 running chainsaws, (of different sizes), hanging on ropes from his belt........at the top he started back down, cutting in ~ 2' sections, all of which landed in a roughly 6' circle at the tree's base.

Over and done in nothing flat....no muss, no fuss......all I had to do was the splitting & piling.

Hire a pro!
My mom had a ~35' dead spruce that was within 10' of two buildings (house and garage) and the guy did it that way (but with only one chainsaw). He trimmed as he went up the tree, then kept cutting down sections and trimming as he came down, tied a guy rope about 2/3 of the way up and heaved the rope to me and then worked on the bottom until a point in time that he asked me to apply pressure by pulling on the rope and he felled the tree within a couple feet of his target. No sweat.

He cleaned up all the branches and took away the wood in his truck. I'm not sure what he charged but I think it was only a few hundred (but we live in a low cost area).

Fun to watch a pro at work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm not sure what he charged but I think it was only a few hundred (but we live in a low cost area).

Fun to watch a pro at work.
Ours was done circa 1994.....can't recall the cost either, but if it was more than a couple hundred bucks I'd've left the damn tree where it was, so it had to have been cheap.

Fun...yes....we were watching agape and laughing, it was almost like a circus act....wham, bam, thank you ma'am, and he was on his way.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The power company is ONLY interested in protecting their lines.... they could care less about how the tree looks... your example is exactly how they would cut... cut the ones going to the power lines and leave the rest.. they are not doing you a favor.... Also, they have the right to do that hatchet job even if you do not want them to.... do a search on some cut trees and take a look.... some are just hideous...

BUT, the cost of removing the REST of the tree should be a lot less...
Agreed. The problem is that with their pruning, they damaged some trees so badly that they had to be removed...with proper pruning that would not have been necessary. My neighbor incurred additional costs that weren't planned for because of the damage the pruning caused. Just saying that unless it's clear the power company is to remove a tree, it can actually cost more than planned. Relying on the power company can have unintended consequences.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My logger does run up trees and I am paying him $1,000 to have 1 large oak tree and 2 smaller trees removed. He will also trim all the dead branches from the 30+ trees on our property. We do live in a low cost of living area though. Prices do vary quite a bit. I have heard of someone who paid $10K to have a single tree removed.
I think $1000 for a half day visit from a logger crew of 2-3 is pretty accurate estimate here. That would include docking the trunk and chipping the branches but not hauling them away. If they need to bring extra equipment such as a big crane truck to hold the tree from falling on the house, the price will go up exponentially. Not every tree company employe climbers, which I guess might be a cheaper option than a crane truck. Also stump removal would be a couple hundred extra.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #25

Coincident with upgrading our old 'kerosene powered' printer to one with scanning capabilities, I found this pic of the operation previously mentioned:

Which reminded me of the old joke about a couple Newfies looking for work in British Columbia.....they passed a logging company office which was sporting a sign 'TREE FELLERS WANTED'........"Damn" said one Newfie "And there's only the two of us".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #26

Not sure what all the hype is ... you can rent a 50 ft lift for 4 hours for $250 and drop 2-3 foot sections of the tree. Always stay ABOVE the cut. I never cut from the base until it's a stump.

A stump grinder is $175 for 4 hours (did 12 stumps last week ... 6 home and 6 at a rental)

Obviously power lines negate all do-it-yourself attempts.

So I had a large dead maple tree right next to the power line at the lake. Called an "expert" ... first words out of his mouth: "that's a beautiful house you have there!" ... I thought "here it comes" .... $1100 BUCKS !!! For one tree! Called a local landscaper I knew and asked if he had insurance "just in case" ... said 'yep'. Dropped the thing for $150.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #27

We had a 40ft brazilian pepper tree removed here in Vegas last year. Crew of 4 did it in under two hours and they charged $300 which included grinding the stump and fixing the buried sprinkler pipe that they broke during the stump grinding.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely thread!

Yipee!

The guys from the power company are here, as I type, removing a big (150') dead, LEANING pine tree that lightening hit and killed.It's leaning over my tractor barn and about 10' away from the power line, so there was no way I was going to pull out the trusty chainsaw and do it myself.
Of course, they were supposed to be here in January, becuase it was classified as an "immediate threat" to their power line. And, as it turns out, they were actually coming to trim some big branches from a nearby powerline, but they made the mistake of blocking our drive, so DW couldn't get out, and while talking/chit-chatting with them, they called it in, found out that there was a service order on it, and agreed to take it out today.

You definately catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I'm feeling very relieved, as I had visions of it crashing down on the barm and wiping it out - even removed all the equipment two months ago "just in case".

Yipee!