Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtech View Post
We have and use extensively an older airplane. I don't think of it too much as an asset, but someday when I sell it (10 years?), my annual expenses to maintain/store/insure will go down. Flying it is the cheaper part!
A single friend of mine has a fully aerobatic Citabria and calls it his wife and three kids.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RE: Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I've been thinking about digital stuff - family videos and things that are all in some folder, in some partition, of some hard drive somewhere. Who would know to look for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Couldn't these be shared now with any and all interested family members via a few DVDs, thumb drives, or such? If so then finding them digitally later would not be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Or if that would raise an eyebrow, just make a binder with those plastic sleeves, and put the burned DVD's in it, on a visible shelf, big letter on the side "home movies". That way if the big storm comes or you otherwise need to 'abandon ship', you grab the only thing you can't replace and head for the door!
Yes, those are good ideas - I think my point was that one has to do something, some action is needed. Just leaving those files laying around isn't the same as leaving a shoe-box of photos laying around. Not obvious at all what is on a hard drive. Heck, most of mine are formatted in ext4, and I'm not sure a Mac/Windows will even read the directory w/o some added SW - I do plan to change my 'archival' HDDs to a more general formatting mode.

I'm leery of the life-span of burned DVDs though. Even a hard drive should be refreshed after X years (copy files to another freshly formatted drive, re-format and add the old drive to the rotation), the magnetic levels decay with time. A skim of some articles seems to indicate flash is not for archival use (the memory is just an electrical charge on a tiny capacitor - it is relying on the substrate maintaining a very high insulating level).

I'm in the process of digitizing some of my old cassettes of some personal audio projects - so this will be a good time to set up something. A few of these will be shared in 'the cloud' and some friends/families will have links. And of course, you always should have multiple back-ups - something people rarely did with old photos, and that is easy today.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Other valuables, none considered part of our net worth.....

super nice Chevy Impala SS convertible, worth at least $20,000
spare car parts, all have value if sold on ebay, maybe $1,000
sack of pre 1965 silver coins, over $2,000 scrap value
mechanic tool sets and cabinets, maybe $700
Collection of a dozen Martin acoustic and Fender/Gibson electric guitars and amps at least $10,000
a few antiques, trunks, vending machine, etc, maybe $1,000
recently inherited Swarovski lead chrystal figurine collection, value to be determined, but could be worth a lot. Probably over 500 pieces.
Recently inherited home and contents, my share should be $75,000 to $100,000 upon sale.