Join Early Retirement Today

Otterbox Alpha Glass for iPhone?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Otterbox Alpha Glass for iPhone?

I’m thinking of replacing my iPhone 5S with the XR (the 5S still works well, but I want more storage and 802.11ac wi-fi support).

I’ve had an Otterbox Defender case on the 5S and think it has done the job really well, almost indestructible. It came with a snap-on screen protector that I also like, easy to clean and kept scratches and thumb funk off the actual screen.

It looks like current Otterbox models for the newer phones are “screenless”, but you can buy separately a thin protector called “Alpha Glass”. Seems to be something you apply directly on the screen?

Anyone have any experience with this? Yes/no? Good/bad?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I bought one of those glass screen protectors for my last phone and was happy with it. I don't think it was Otterbox, just a cheap one, so that one should be at least as good.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I both have the iPhone 6 Plus with Otterbox (Symmetry) and another brand glass screen protector (about $25). She dropped her iPhone in the garage and when she picked it up the display was completely shattered. She took it to Verizon to see what her options were. They took off the screen protector, and the iPhone display was unharmed, the "shattered glass" was just the screen protector - so I doubt we'll ever be without screen protectors.

We were afraid the screen protectors would make the touchscreen less responsive, but it hasn't hurt touch capability at all that we can tell. And our glass screen protectors don't seem to scratch either. FWIW

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for those replies! Sounds to me like an easy choice: a screen protector it is. I see some reviews of the XR are trickling in and will be looking forward to a hopefully good upgrade. I’ll probably wait to see what hardware/software quirks are reported, then make the change (including Alpha Glass).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote