Otterbox Alpha Glass for iPhone?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I’m thinking of replacing my iPhone 5S with the XR (the 5S still works well, but I want more storage and 802.11ac wi-fi support).

I’ve had an Otterbox Defender case on the 5S and think it has done the job really well, almost indestructible. It came with a snap-on screen protector that I also like, easy to clean and kept scratches and thumb funk off the actual screen.

It looks like current Otterbox models for the newer phones are “screenless”, but you can buy separately a thin protector called “Alpha Glass”. Seems to be something you apply directly on the screen?

Anyone have any experience with this? Yes/no? Good/bad?

I bought one of those glass screen protectors for my last phone and was happy with it. I don't think it was Otterbox, just a cheap one, so that one should be at least as good.

DW and I both have the iPhone 6 Plus with Otterbox (Symmetry) and another brand glass screen protector (about $25). She dropped her iPhone in the garage and when she picked it up the display was completely shattered. She took it to Verizon to see what her options were. They took off the screen protector, and the iPhone display was unharmed, the "shattered glass" was just the screen protector - so I doubt we'll ever be without screen protectors.

We were afraid the screen protectors would make the touchscreen less responsive, but it hasn't hurt touch capability at all that we can tell. And our glass screen protectors don't seem to scratch either. FWIW

Last edited:
Thanks for those replies! Sounds to me like an easy choice: a screen protector it is. I see some reviews of the XR are trickling in and will be looking forward to a hopefully good upgrade. I’ll probably wait to see what hardware/software quirks are reported, then make the change (including Alpha Glass).

Back
Top Bottom