Join Early Retirement Today

Ouch
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouch

Reaching into my tomato plant to see if one was ripe (5 so far, 14oz - 1lb 3oz),
came back with a bee stinging on my wrist. This plus watching a nature video
last night on nasty bugs got me wondering - anyone ever run into any bites/
stings worse than a bee ? My worse was a fuzzy black wasp in Alaska - only
hurt like a bee, but itched like crazy for 2+ weeks. The bee only ranked a
1.5 or 2 on the pain scale - the worst were bullet ants and tarantula hawks at 4.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Don't get me started...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, what happened to Wahoo's chigger count?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I forfeited.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've taken care of a few rattlesnake bites while practicing in Tucson. Not good.

Had another patient who, along with his dog, was attacked by a fox while hiking. The abnormal fox behavior forced us to treat as a rabies exposure.

Had to punch a hole in a guy's trachea in the emergency room one time after he had an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting and couldn't breathe cause his throat was swollen shut.

Took care of a kid once who got a black fly stuck in his ear canal. The fly couldn't get out. Filled it with Mazola oil (really - it was at a summer kids' camp and it was all I had) and the fly came swimming to the top: success.

Human bites of any significance always get infected - one of the few times you use antibiotics before infection is apparent.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been stung by bees and wasps several times, mostly as a kid. Back then I thought the world was going to come to end when it happened. As an adult (who BTW refuses to grow up) I now have allergic reactions to bee stings, so I'm a little more careful when they're around.

The worst bites I remember were spider bites! They'd get red and swollen, and itch like crazy. And if you bumped the bite, or rubbed against something, it hurt like the dickens. Then we'd take a pin and stick it in to drain the puss. OUCH!!!

Being an avid gardener, I have lots of bees, wasps, spiders, and other creepy-crawlers around, and I can sit in the midst of them all and watch them for hours on end.....and they never bother me!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yellow jackets and red wasps....

OPPS.... forgot about that asp that bit me when I was about 9 or so... it felt like my arm weighed 10 times what it was... if someone said they could take away the pain if they cut it off.... I would have said cut away!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
... forced us to treat as a rabies exposure.
Such an innocuous statement for what ensues!

Two weeks ago I was bitten by a centipede. In our bed. A midnight wakeup. In the very upper thigh. Things were pretty exciting and it took a couple hours to get back to sleep.

FWIW it's the first time in 18 years of living here.

"Rags to Retirement" has a story about a Lake Chapala expat who left his towel by the swimming pool overnight. When he picked it up next morning the sheltering scorpion nailed him in the back of the hand...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Quote:
... forced us to treat as a rabies exposure.
Quote:
Such an innocuous statement for what ensues!
No fun at all.

I think the shots are fewer and less painful than they used to be.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not as exotic as some of the above, but I had a weird bee sting a few years back. I walked out of the house and put on my sandals that were outside and got stung on both my feet by a bee on each sandal! My right foot was ok, but over the next 2 days, my left foot swelled up to point were I couldn't fit into any shoe or sandal and it got REALLY glossy! It looked like I had dipped it in cooking oil! One cycle of ZMax (?) cleared it up. I don't know if he was exagerrating, but the doctor said that if I had ignored it, I could have lost my foot (!)
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Human bites of any significance always get infected - one of the few times you use antibiotics before infection is apparent.
Rich, do you mean bites from other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Two weeks ago I was bitten by a centipede. In our bed. A midnight wakeup. In the very upper thigh. Things were pretty exciting and it took a couple hours to get back to sleep.
I've seen a centipede or two in our basement bedroom. BF says they won't harm me. Now, he'll have to catch them before we sleep.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I think the shots are fewer and less painful than they used to be.
You inject some rabies immune globulin all around the wound and in the muscle tissue. Then there are 5 shots of the vaccine spread over a month (these are routine shots in the arm, not in the abdomen as done years ago). Local reactions are common, it's not fun, but it is not the nightmare of yesteryear. And since if you get rabies you're dead, you just take the shots. They work.

Rabies usually occurs within a few days to weeks if untreated, but without the shots it can take years to emerge. So you're not off the hook even if a few weeks go by without symptoms.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Heh. About 10 years ago we had a big honkin' paperwasp nest in a filbert tree. As a kid I had blown the back out of some nests with a 410 Marble Gamegetter pistol and torched other nests in the evening - highly recommended as a check on one's mind control vs. desire to flee. Country pre-internet entertainment. Neither of these options are considered PC in town these days, so I decided that a water hose would tear apart the nest and fill the wasps with such a sense of depression that they would move to fairer climes. I picked my point of attack (through an opening in the branches) and hit 'em with the hose. Was doing really well, knocking down some flyers and starting to tear up the nest, when Luke Freaking Skywasper got his Force on. I remember looking up the stream of water at the nest and seeing a dot that grew rapidly - that sucker flew dead straight perfect spot on right to my nose and delivered his message. Wow. I salute you Luke (but I still blew up your home!).
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
Rich, do you mean bites from other people?
Yes, Flip. A deep wound from a human bite is a virtual guarantee of infection. And the bacteria we harbor in the mouth (especially with poor oral care, but even in those with good hygiene) are nasty. Many are the anaerobic kind that love to get into deep tissue and wreak havoc.

Don't get bit. Don't bite.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, Flip. A deep wound from a human bite is a virtual guarantee of infection. And the bacteria we harbor in the mouth (especially with poor oral care, but even in those with good hygiene) are nasty. Many are the anaerobic kind that love to get into deep tissue and wreak havoc.

I guess Iron Mike Tyson never got the memo??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess Iron Mike Tyson never got the memo??

Uh... I think Tyson didn't get quite a few memos. But you can bet Evander was put on some serious antibiotics after that fight.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Man bites dog to rescue puppy - CNN.com

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- A Chinese man bit to death a fierce dog that was savaging his beloved puppy.
Awakened by the puppy's yelps, a villager named Geng first tried to chase the dog away by hurling watermelons at it, a local newspaper reported on Wednesday.
The farmer then threw himself on the dog, clamping his teeth around its neck and eventually killing it.
"The two were rolling around on the ground and fighting for nearly 10 minutes," the Yanzhao Cosmopolitan News in the northern province of Hebei said.
Geng suffered deep cuts to his arms and was treated in hospital. The puppy survived.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Rabies usually occurs within a few days to weeks if untreated, but without the shots it can take years to emerge. So you're not off the hook even if a few weeks go by without symptoms.
Oh my. I didn't realize that.

My SIL's kids had a "bat event." She is a pediatrician and decided to go through the rabies injections, even though there was no evidence of bites. Anyway, the kids said it wasn't so bad.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Aren't these most commonly suffered when you hit someone in the mouth? A passive bite, so to speak?

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Aren't these most commonly suffered when you hit someone in the mouth? A passive bite, so to speak?

Ha
Note to self: go for the nads next time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote