Join Early Retirement Today

Ouch, thought I had a new govmint job!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouch, thought I had a new govmint job!

I applied to a general pool for a local GS-11 job. I got an interview, talked to the people and they liked my skills and qualifications. They offered to hire me as an 11 and promote me to GS-12 since I was already a GS-11. I told them I'd love to work for them, as they were already taking care of me and I didn't even work for them yet!

This job doesnt require military membership like my current job, which would allow me to retire from the national guard in 1 year and continue govmint employment.

Well, I thought it was all set after I talked to their HRO. But, I got a call later today saying there could be a problem since they advertised the job incorrectly (open to all Govmint workers, not open to competitive Govment workers only). Since I am am classified as excepted service, I may not be eligible.

What a bummer. It's not over yet, but I don't have a good feeling. I'm having a very hard time breaking into competitive service, I think because I don't have a veterans preference. Even after 22 years in the national guard I am not classified as a veteran.

I just wanted to rant a bit heh. Thanks for listening.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ouch, thought I had a new govmint job!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #2

What's the difference between competitive and excepted? Are all government jobs this specific?
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #3

COMPETITIVE AND EXCEPTED SERVICE
There are two classes of jobs in the Federal Government: 1) those that are in the competitive civil service, and 2) those that are in the excepted service.

Competitive service jobs are under OPM's jurisdiction and subject to the civil service laws passed by Congress to ensure that applicants and employees receive fair and equal treatment in the hiring process. These laws give selecting officials broad authority to review more than one applicant source before determining the best-qualified candidate based on job-related criteria. A basic principle of Federal employment is that all candidates must meet the qualification requirements for the position for which they receive an appointment.

Excepted service agencies set their own qualification requirements and are not subject to the appointment, pay, and classification rules in title 5, United States Code. However, they are subject to veterans' preference. Some Federal agencies, the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) have only excepted service positions. In other instances, certain organizations within an agency, or even specific jobs may be excepted from civil service procedures. Positions may be in the excepted service by law, by executive order, or by action of OPM.

Just found this on OPM.gov
Old 04-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Just retired with 35 years of the feds. If you are with the Post Soviet Union DOD, get set to find out that retirees get the clean end of the lollipop. Go to www.federalsoup.com for more info.
Gpax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #5

You mean the FERS vs CSRS plan?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

CSRS is the preferable plan. That's why the gov't changed it. There is an old adage among civil servants....If the gov't wants to change it, it's usually not good for the employees. The whole NSPS/OPM change,retirement system changes, all of it make me glad I got out. It's not the greatest in the world but I have health coverage which the feds pay 72% of and my annuity is indexed to inflation.. But this should be in anolther forum on the previously quoted website.
Gpax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpax7
There is an old adage among civil servants....If the gov't wants to change it, it's usually not good for the employees. /quote]

Yeah, we have that in the private secttor, too. I usually see it interpreted as BOHICA. "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote