Join Early Retirement Today

Our national heritage is fast disappearing
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our national heritage is fast disappearing

We have a short time left to view this monument of America. Rich? Will you be documenting this? It's down your block and up your alley, no?
Breaking News | tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times and tbt*

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it art or an eye sore.... I vote eye sore.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is great. Better than the constant streams of billboards, strip malls and trailer parks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Baseball players and steroids, Bret Farve retires, governors and party girls, my holdings keep going south, and now the icing on the cake..........airstream ranch must go? I don't think so. Rich needs to start a protest rally.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've passed that thing many times. It's under the support of Bates' RV, a family owned, very funky RV store which has a huge inventory of Airstreams. The place is known for taking almost anything in trade for a new RV: cars, cycles, cows, land, industrial machinery, jewelry, etc.

I find it very entertaining, and kind of a statement (just haven't quite figured out what the statement might be).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i grew up in the upstairs portion of a house where my parents rarely ventured. mom was a very practical woman. meticulous in her own life, respectful of the space of others, she would only have a house where her children had their own space, separate from hers. though i'd sometimes find mom up there talking to my "whisper lamp", a then technically advanced early "clapper" system whereby the light turned on by noise and became brighter with more noise.

my brother's room was brown & tan and business-like but mine was psychedelic. painted a dark purple shade of black, i had glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling & funky glitter-painted murals on the walls, a cork wall with dartboard (some of the darts even made it to the target) and i made the oddest mobile "art" hanging everywhere.

one that i still get complementary comments on even today, that people still remember all these years later, was very simple. a coke can hung on light fishing line, tipped over, pouring out sparkling cotton down into a paper cup. as i was a latch-key kid, my house was the town party place and so lots of people played in my room. so some of them who i hadn't seen in 30 years mentioned that coke can at our high school reunion.

i myself hadn't thought of it in years. it was just one of the many odd things i did. yet it meant something to these people. it stayed in their minds for 30 years. it was just a coke can but it was suspended in mid air and pouring out candied cotton. it must have made them think then because it made them remember later. sure it's a little quirky, but that's art.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Is it art or an eye sore.... I vote eye sore.
I'll cancel your vote. I love contemporary art humor.

Lazy, you had an idyllic childhood.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
a coke can hung on light fishing line, tipped over, pouring out sparkling cotton down into a paper cup.
OK, I'm hooked...how did you make the sparkling cotton??
Old 03-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Lazy, you had an idyllic childhood.
peter pan never had it so good. home was where my runaway friends came to stay and from where i never wanted to leave. mom was a workaholic so i became independent early, yet life was so good at home i never really had to grow up.

today i find myself capable but immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
OK, I'm hooked...how did you make the sparkling cotton??
hmmm, let's see. first you drop a, um, first you light up a um, uh, it's a secret family recipe.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I think it is great. Better than the constant streams of billboards, strip malls and trailer parks.
I like it too! I was at the Cadillac Ranch in '06, and found it kinda neat also! I've joked about doing something like that with old lawnmowers.....or even doing 'lawnmower henge'.

It's certainly doesn't seem to be hurting anybody, and it seems the only ones that it's really p*ssing off are the County officials....so I say leave it be! Let the gubmint get their own house's in order before they start sticking their (unwanted) noses into other peoples' business!

We have a county 'environmental inspector' that's always sticking his nose into things that don't concern him. He was snooping around the farm of a friend of mine, unannounced & uninvited, and totally ignoring the "No Trespassing" signs. My friend asked him who he was, and what he thought he was doing, and the guy replied that he was Mr. So-and-so the County inspector, and he was going to look around a bit. My friend told him that he didn't care if he Jesus Christ incarnate, and that he was trespassing on private land and if he didn't vacate the premises post-haste, he'd be leaving handcuffed in the sheriff's car. He refused to leave, the sheriff was called, and the dumb@ss county inspector was arrested for trespass. That wasn't the first (or last) time that he got nailed for trespassing.

I think the gubmint could cut some wasteful spending by cutting out a few of these pea-brained 'inspectors' that have crawled a shore from the shallow end of the gene-pool. If there is a clear and present danger or health hazard, fine, deal with it. But if it's just somebody doing something unique and/or humorous.....then get a life, and leave it alone!

The Bates' family ought to try to get a Federal grant for their 'artistic' endeavor.....that would pretty much lock the county out of the whole affair.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post

hmmm, let's see. first you drop a, um, first you light up a um, uh, it's a secret family recipe.
Well fine then, I'll just drop a quick note off to Martha Stewart--She will know