Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well done Midpack! What a difference. We did something similar about 4 years ago as our kitchen was dated as well (built 1991). We went with the granite countertops and the sealer was applied after the installation. They said to reseal every other year. They also said to NOT use Windex to clean it as in some cases the blue color will transfer into the granite. I can hardly believe this but we just use white vinegar/water solution in a spray bottle.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Midpack,

See that the microwave is now over the stove. Just wondering where you are now keeping the coffeemaker and toaster oven?

omni
Busted (you're good). We thought about an appliance garage, for about 3 nanoseconds, don't care for them.

The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day. But I promise everything else will stay put away. 6 (hanging) pans, 2 spice racks, microwave, utensil basket, knife block, cutting boards, salt & pepper, misc basket (various chargers, etc.), fridge magnet clutter (grrrrr), hot pan holders, splatter screen, chips/crackers, sponges & soap are all permanently off the countertops.

I do miss the pots & pan rack, but more cabinet space and rollout base cabinet shelves are a nice alternative that we did not have before.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Busted. The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day.
...And I was just about to call "BS!" (at least on the coffee maker)

Very nice.

Tyro
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Busted. The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day. But I promise everything else will stay put away. Two spice racks, microwave, utensil basket, knife block, cutting boards, salt & pepper, misc basket (various chargers, etc.), sponges & soap are all permanently put away.

I do miss the pots & pan rack, but more cabinet space and rollout base cabinet shelves are a nice alternative that we did not have before.
Thanks.

(Secretly, I was hoping that you'd found a handy new way to store these larger items that are used every day.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't realize things like "clean your countertop" and "don't stand on it" were maintenance items.

Other than sealing (ours came pre-sealed with a 15 year guarantee against staining), I don't see anything listed that you wouldn't want to do no matter what type of countertop you had.

Back on topic - outstanding job Midpack.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #26

Just lovely! I like the new look very much. If you don't mind telling.... what was your budget and then what was your final cost?

My biggest gripe in our kitchen is our refrigerator. I wanted a freezer on the bottom model but at the time they were all too tall for our cupboards so I had to get a top freezer model. My next one will be freezer on the bottom and I'll consider the french door ones like you have. The freezer on yours looks nice and large.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Well done, Midpack! I have been collecting ideas for my own kitchen remodel and I really like the look you achieved here.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Very nice. I've had granite countertops the last couple of houses that we've had and they are by far the easiest maintenance of any counters we've ever had.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #29

Very nice I have to say, I thought your "before" picture was the remodel, until I saw the photo underneath. If you think your kitchen was outdated, you need to see mine LOL. I love the new look - very sleek and neat.

I miss a gas stove SO much ! I've had electric for 16 years and I still mess up. I swear the food just doesn't taste as good with electric.

Happy cooking to you !!!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #30

Looks great! Is that the midnight galaxy granite (copper flecks in black)? It's what we used, my only objection is that a wipe with a wet rag doesn't really cut it. If you want it to look nice you have to use a cleaner or windex to finish it off. I've sealed ours once in 11 years, not seeing any reason to do it again but I still have enough of the sealer to redo.
It's held up well, one guy said no problem putting a hot cast iron fry pan directly on it...have not cared to try that yet. (Hey, what was that loud CRACK I just heard??)
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Very nice. We recently did ours and loved it ;also went with granite.
katwillny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #32

Your old kitchen was nice but the new one is really nice...looks like a model home.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Busted (you're good). We thought about an appliance garage, for about 3 nanoseconds, don't care for them.

The toaster oven, coffee maker and grinder are now on the countertop in the corner since we use them every day. But I promise everything else will stay put away. 6 (hanging) pans, 2 spice racks, microwave, utensil basket, knife block, cutting boards, salt & pepper, misc basket (various chargers, etc.), fridge magnet clutter (grrrrr), hot pan holders, splatter screen, chips/crackers, sponges & soap are all permanently off the countertops.

I am in the process of starting a kitchen remodel, so this very helpful info.
My sister, who is super super anal, is also doing her remodel, so I am planning on learning a lot from her. I did notice the hanging pan rack is missing do you prefer that over rollout pan shelf.

I am also interested in the logistic did you hire a general to do everything. Did you purchase anything form HD or Loews. Are the cabinets custom?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.

(Secretly, I was hoping that you'd found a handy new way to store these larger items that are used every day.)

omni

There is.... but you have to give up storage space below the counter top... my sister did her house and has some fancy (for lack of the real work) 'thing' that has her heavy mixer mounted.... it is on a spring loaded board and will swing up from the cabinet and hold to the counter top... when you are finished, you swing it back into the cabinet... I have only seen it once.... I think she has something else mounted this way, but have not seen it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

See below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I did notice the hanging pan rack is missing do you prefer that over rollout pan shelf. I really liked the pan rack, and it looked OK hanging from a soffit. We did not like the look of it hanging from an 8' ceiling (soffits removed) and it would have interfered with the pendant lighting (recessed lights before). Rollout shelves are pretty nifty, we did not have them before (when bending down low wasn't a big deal)...

I am also interested in the logistic did you hire a general to do everything. Got a quote for the whole job from HD, another from a local building supply house with a long history, and got separate sub-contractor quotes (acting as our own GC). Went with local building supply store even though they were $1500 higher in total.

Was tempted to act as GC, but inevitably the job would take longer (coordinating subs is not easy, a homeowner does not have the leverage GC's do since they throw more repeat business at them) and chance of some jobs falling between subs.

Didn't go with HD because after a lot of research I concluded that HD's work is highly store specific - some are actually pretty good, and some are awful. Local building supply house had better product at very competitive prices, only their demo/labor was higher. I hoped we'd have a better, more timely result with local building supply - and I think we did. Job came in right on budget, though I am pretty anal very thorough with numbers and quotes. And in LBYM fashion, I did $4800 worth of work myself, mostly demo - all planned going in. Total out-of-pocket cost was just under $29K (or $34K had I not done some work myself). There is no right or normal, but FWIW...

$6.0K Cabinets
$259 Cabinet hardware
$3.4K Granite counters, installed and sealed
$3.3K Appliances
$502 Plumbing
$7.5K a painfully expensive "select & better" maple floor kitchen and family room installed (won't repeat that sob story)
$1.3K Tile kitchen backsplash and new laundry room floor installed (off kitchen)
$455 Lighting
$5.9K All other demo, labor, painting and incidental materials

Sounded expensive to me, but evidently lots of people drop $50-75K on kitchen remodels these days.

Did you purchase anything form HD or Loews. Nothing but shelf paper

Are the cabinets custom? Nope, all standard Kemper cabinets.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
There is.... but you have to give up storage space below the counter top... my sister did her house and has some fancy (for lack of the real work) 'thing' that has her heavy mixer mounted.... it is on a spring loaded board and will swing up from the cabinet and hold to the counter top... when you are finished, you swing it back into the cabinet... I have only seen it once.... I think she has something else mounted this way, but have not seen it...
My mom also has one of those swing-out shelves for her big electric mixer. If you're planning to get one, find one set up in the kitchen showroom and make sure you can both open and close it easily. The springs in my mom's shelf are pretty stiff. It's very easy to bring the shelf up, but considerably more difficult to stow it away again.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

The remodel looks great. You saved a TON of money by resisting any urge to move the big stuff around (sink, DW, etc). Sticking with stock cabinet sizes helps, too. Roll-aways in the lower cabinets? We went with drawers down there (everywhere but under the sink) and it has worked well for us.

Congrats on getting that out of the way!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Very nice I have to say, I thought your "before" picture was the remodel, until I saw the photo underneath. If you think your kitchen was outdated, you need to see mine LOL. I love the new look - very sleek and neat.

I miss a gas stove SO much ! I've had electric for 16 years and I still mess up. I swear the food just doesn't taste as good with electric.

Happy cooking to you !!!

Totally agree with above.

Very nice kitchen.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #39

Love your new kitchen. Your old kitchen would be an improvement over our kitchen. We were thinking about doing some remodeling, when our DD's family moves out, but we needed to help them with buying their house. Oh well, it will get done one of these days. Enjoy your new kitchen.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Looks nice Midpack and the investment will probably pay at sales time.

On this need to reseal bit, I have nice granite counter tops that I don't cut on (I use cutting boards). I haven't resealed in the fifteen or so years they have been in and haven't seen any problems. In resealing still a big deal in such cases? I can certainly do it if it makes a big difference.