Join Early Retirement Today

Our shameless culture
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our shameless culture

Interesting article - I think is says something about many of us.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...shameless.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Our shameless culture
Old 04-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I won't criticize anything said by a captive. Coersion can be unbelievably brutal.

A government needs to measure its response in the face of such provocation. You shouldn't react thoughtlessly.

You shouldn't ACT thoughtlessly, either. In my opinion, however, the British Navy should have been prepared for the worst when it sent that team to the Iranian boat. If you aren't ready to send the ship to the bottom, don't challenge it. This wasn't a simple inspection of papers by the port authoritiy of the Thames, for chrissake.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Just wait until Iran finally launches its nuclear weapon at Israel. Then, you will be reading reports titled "How did this happen". Iran was just testing the waters when they took the British hostages. They wanted to gage world reaction and they got it.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a BRIEF conversation on this topic with my "civilian" friends while they were still held captive...who think that the captives did the right thing. I was appalled! Guess Her Majesty's military Code of Conduct training is not like ours.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

saving face or save your neck. gee. that's a tough one.

sticks & stones.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What a load of bollocks. This isn't a couple of schoolboys daring each other into a fight behind the bleachers. This is an encounter between two nuclear-armed nations, one of which is fully capable of shutting down the world economy. The UK did the right thing in the face of stupid provocation, and the Iranians eventually decided to correct their mistake. Running into an armed conflict over this minor squabble would have been a huge mistake.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #7

Their close proximity to the rest of western Europe has sissified even the brits. They betrayed their country to save their own hides (which isn't even true because there is no way in hell they would have hurt them)

It wasn't that long ago that a soldier would have been shot for that behavior. Churchill just rolled in his grave I'm sure.

Iran made their point loud and clear to the rest of the Muslim world.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

People are really brave when they aren't in the same situation.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
People are really brave when they aren't in the same situation.
You know what? As a CHILD I had a gun pointed in my face during a mugging and I never stooped as low as those pussies. That was without any formal military training.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
You know what? As a CHILD I had a gun pointed in my face during a mugging and I never stooped as low as those pussies. That was without any formal military training.
I know a full-grown adult who was shot dead for the same behavior.

But he was really really brave, and the word "pussy" is not on his tombstone. So I guess he wins, although I'm not sure how his family sees it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I'm sure your balls are all the bigger for it, tough guy.

- George Orwell

Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #12

This thread needs more Jack Bauer.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
And I'm sure your balls are all the bigger for it, tough guy.
Can't tell, but at least I will be able to sleep the rest of my life having some self respect. Something I hope none of those folks will be able to do.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't tell, but at least I will be able to sleep the rest of my life having some self respect. Something I hope none of those folks will be able to do.

Why? Why would you wish them ill after what they went through?

What was the outcome of compliance with their captors' demands? They stayed in one piece long enough to be released. Sounds like a reasonable choice to me.

- George Orwell

Old 04-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On the contrary, I hope that they followed whatever code of conduct they were required to follow, and that they're capable of training their own troops to do the same some day. If a gun-toting guy orders me to play ping-pong while they roll video then that's what I'll do if it'll comply with the code of conduct while my bosses are trying to get me back home. And I'll expect all my shipmates to join in, too.

During their Hanoi Hilton sojourn, Stockdale used to promulgate the "price of the day". It was the amount of torture that the POWs were expected to submit to before they answered their interrogator's questions or signed the documents or made the videos or whatever. The idea was to preserve a measure of self-respect by paying a price while maximizing the number of live POWs. He was the senior POW and the other POWs had seen (or heard) what Stockdale was capable of doing, so the vast majority of them followed the policy.

Tell you what-- can I bundle up your comments and send them to one of my old leaders, Paul Galanti, for his commentary?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Why? Why would you wish them ill after what they went through?

What was the outcome of compliance with their captors' demands? They stayed in one piece long enough to be released. Sounds like a reasonable choice to me.
Are those on the left the people always telling us that the end doesn't justify the means? Weakening the position of an entire country to save your own hide seems like a weak position to me. To me it's a sign of the times. This wouldn't have happened 20,30 or 40 years ago.

How long did it take them to crack, 24 hours? They're no John McCain.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This wouldn't have happened 20,30 or 40 years ago.
Well, then let's go back a little further:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -- George S. Patton

Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are those on the left the people always telling us that the end doesn't justify the means? Weakening the position of an entire country to save your own hide seems like a weak position to me. To me it's a sign of the times. This wouldn't have happened 20,30 or 40 years ago.

How long did it take them to crack, 24 hours? They're no John McCain.
Dude, I think you have some "issues" here that you should probably address with professional help. That's the only way I can imagine where you are coming from.

You really think the smart choice would be to hold out until they broke you? How does that help you, your family, or your country? So you have utmost respect for the Taliban types who keeep up their resistance through the 37th waterboarding?

- George Orwell

Old 04-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, then let's go back a little further:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -- George S. Patton
Nords, you're a betting man. What do you think the chances were that they would have killed one of those prisoners? If this were afghanistan it would be a different story entirely (if you read a little history you will see that they are without a doubt the allstars when it comes to killing POWs) Iran has a political agenda and there isn't a chance in hell they would have hurt them.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If a gun-toting guy orders me to play ping-pong while they roll video then that's what I'll do if it'll comply with the code of conduct while my bosses are trying to get me back home. And I'll expect all my shipmates to join in, too.
i never knew this and glad to hear it from a military guy.

Quote:

how can you claim self respect if you do not respect life itself? it is one thing to be brave. it is another to look life in the face and say "you're not worth losing a little self respect over."

life will always be bigger than you & pride goeth before the bullet.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote