Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just a note that if you have a towing requirement, most of these crossovers have low capabilities. The Outback (2019) is good for 2700 lbs, one specific model of the 2019 RAV4 is good for 3500lbs (Adventure), otherwise they are limited to 1500 lbs max towing, a small utility trailer.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Subaru has 0% financing now on 2019 models. I have a 2011 Outback and wife has a 2013 Impreza. They have been great cars for us. Will trade in Outback and the end of 2020.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #63

I have a Honda CRV, it drives really well and I selected it over the Rav 4 for comfort as I liked the captains seat feel for my back. 125,000 miles in and I havent had any major issues with it. I also like the fact the back flips up, I"ve used it as a rain shield at numerous tailgates waiting for the storms to pass.

The road noise is definitely an issue (ironically its the reason we chose the 2014 Camry vs 2015 Camry for our second car as there was a clear difference in road noise).

I considered the Rav4 when I bought the CRV but was constantly ignored by the sales people there so for me it was a no go.
karen1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had a couple of Honda Civic SI's and currently have a Lexus IS250. I've had problems keeping tires on them all. The factories are building cars and setting up the suspensions for handling. My cars ate the insides of the rear tires, despite setting the wheel alignment as far as they'd go to avoid premature wearing. I even went as far as to put adjustable upper control arms on the rear, and they still ate up the tires. Unfortunately, all Honda models may have the same problem--including the Accord.

And high performance tires for these vehicles aren't cheap.

My Camry Hybrid went 38K miles on the tires. My Explorer went 65K miles. And my F250 diesel is getting 60K miles out of Michelins. I can live with that better than 25K miles on the other cars.

I only want cars in the future that have more substantial side walls and get decent tire wear.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I have a Honda CRV, it drives really well and I selected it over the Rav 4 for comfort as I liked the captains seat feel for my back. 125,000 miles in and I havent had any major issues with it. I also like the fact the back flips up, I"ve used it as a rain shield at numerous tailgates waiting for the storms to pass.

Which engine does your CRV have?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm partial to Nissan's and have a Frontier, Rogue and a Murano.... all over 120k miles and no maintenance issues whatsoever (just tires, brakes and a battery)
LimaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ve accidentally hit a paddle and “shifted” a couple times but I couldn’t tell anything different and it goes back to its own CVT routine shortly thereafter anyway. What am I missing?
Paddle shifters won't make an illegal shift. Look at the gear shift in the center console, there is a "M-D" which are slightly different when paddle shifting.

Best to read the manual, watch youtube videos, and try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...addle+shifters
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you have a manual trans, no need to read further.

If you have an auto trans I have to ask, and I drive an Outback myself. Mine has a CVT transmission (that’s all they’ve used since 2008) so there are no gears and I dismissed the paddle shifters as a marketing gimmick. When I asked the dealer, he seemed to agree it was a gimmick. I’ve accidentally hit a paddle and “shifted” a couple times but I couldn’t tell anything different and it goes back to its own CVT routine shortly thereafter anyway. What am I missing?
Perhaps my Outback is progammed differently but the paddle shifters work just like an automatic transmission.... 6 speed if I recall correctly... hit the left paddle shiffter to downshift and the right to upshift.

Now, mine is a 2016 Outback Limited.... I have a faint recollection that some earlier CVT models the shifts were not very noticeable, so perhaps you have an earlier model.

I don't bother with manual mode... in drive all the time.

I use it mostly to downshift to save on the brakes.... however, I recall when we were crusing on Skyline Drive that it was handy and fun.

Quote:
Subaru has programmed the CVT with artificial shift points, operable via the paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel. While it doesn’t provide the sense of driver engagement that goes with a stick shift, it does diminish some of the annoying slipping clutch trait that’s been a longtime drawback of CVTs. Indeed, the Outback feels more like a car with a regular automatic than does the latest Honda CR-V, which has a CVT with much more of that slipping sensation.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
Subaru has 0% financing now on 2019 models. I have a 2011 Outback and wife has a 2013 Impreza. They have been great cars for us. Will trade in Outback and the end of 2020.

Another reason I opted for Subarus. I did 0% financing on both the 2011 Outback and 2017 Forester. It seems like they offer this deal often.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:46 AM   #70

We have had a Honda Civic and a Honda CR-V in the past and now use a 2014 Outback as our road trip car. We love the way it rides and it feels heavy which makes us feel safer.

The Outback has had some minor but annoying problems and we are thinking of trading it in for either another Honda CR-V or maybe a Toyota. We had such good luck with Honda's that we are disappointed with the Subaru, even though we like the way it drives.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:05 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The CR-V oil/gas problem was only on the Turbo engine, IIRC. Correct?

If I purchased a CR-V it would be the regular four, not the Turbo. However, how Honda handled the problem concerns me. My gut impressions is that they were not up-front and tried to shmooze there way through it.
This is the only engine on the better models, and it is what we have. Honda made a software change to reduce the issue, and increased the warranty. We are at almost two years and 33,000 miles. So far we have not had a problem. After a couple Ford minivans and an Equinox, we really like the CRV. We got 35 MPG on a trip from MI to SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post

The road noise is definitely an issue (ironically its the reason we chose the 2014 Camry vs 2015 Camry for our second car as there was a clear difference in road noise).
The CRV has changed a lot over time. I had concern about road noise but we have a 2018 model and I find the road noise to be normal.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Which engine does your CRV have?
Be careful. Honda CRV, 1.5, turbocharged. HAVE Oil dilution problem.
Should be labeled "gasoline" diluting the oil. I think this affected 2017,2018.
Not sure if problem fixed yet. Just google it. Many posts.

Also, check out 2019, Subaru Forester. Redesign for 2019. Consumer Reports
ranks it very high. Subcompact SUV.

Just purchased the base version, for $24,999, out the door. Try one, Visibility is really hard to believe.

Test drove, Toyota RAV4. I liked it. Consumer Reports said mediocre. One thing I did not like was
Rear Seat. To low. Like sitting in confined "cave".
wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Yes that Honda engine problem bothers me. And I am more bothered by the way Honda handled it.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #74

Chuckanut,
If you haven't driven any of the cars on your 'possible' list, you should do it before deciding. Before I bought my RAV4, I though I would buy a Subaru Forester. But during my test drive, the transmission was so stiff that I decided against it. The RAV4 drove like a Camry, which was the car I had before the RAV4.

I'm about to buy a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid to replace my 2012 RAV4. If Honda had a CRV Hybrid, I would have test driven it, but they delayed that car until 2020.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

You can also try the Mazda CX-5. We love it so far after 3 months. 29k all in.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Perhaps my Outback is progammed differently but the paddle shifters work just like an automatic transmission.... 6 speed if I recall correctly... hit the left paddle shiffter to downshift and the right to upshift.

Now, mine is a 2016 Outback Limited.... I have a faint recollection that some earlier CVT models the shifts were not very noticeable, so perhaps you have an earlier model.
Mine is a 2018 Outback Touring, so not an older model.

I know the display shows a "gear" when I've accidentally hit a paddle (though it reverts to what's programmed shortly thereafter), but there are no physical gears in a CVT. Subaru (and some other automakers) have chosen to mimic shifting gears, though it's unnecessary with a CVT, it's a marketing choice. The "gear number" displayed is whatever the programmer chooses to display...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

My Camry hybrid had a CVT. I worked very well, IMHO. As far as I can see the only thing close 'gear' in it was when I chose to use engine braking. Even reverse was not a real gear. They just spun the electric motor backwards!

Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #78

We have 5K miles on our 2019 Subaru Forester. We are near-giddy with this vehicle. It's our first new car since 2001. I researched for several months. We test drove the Forester, CR-V, RAV4, and CX-5. The Forester was by far the most affordable, especially with standard AWD. We got a well-equipped Premium trim, out the door for $27K plus change.

The others were all great vehicles as well but they all had little quirks that we didn't like. The Forester has a few quirks as well. But in the end, it boiled down to: standard AWD, great price, great reviews, highest ground clearance, and the best mileage. The CR-V was a very close second. It's a well-rounded vehicle in every aspect, plus the well-known reliability of a Honda. BUT, it was going to cost about $2-2.5K more for a similarly-equipped vehicle. That was just very hard to justify.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaPop View Post
I'm partial to Nissan's and have a Frontier, Rogue and a Murano.... all over 120k miles and no maintenance issues whatsoever (just tires, brakes and a battery)

I agree, Best car I ever owned was a 1997 Maxima. Sold it in 2009 to a neighbor's kid and it's still on the road. If I get half that longevity out of my 2019 rogue, I'll be a happy camper.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mine is a 2018 Outback Touring, so not an older model.

I know the display shows a "gear" when I've accidentally hit a paddle (though it reverts to what's programmed shortly thereafter), but there are no physical gears in a CVT. Subaru (and some other automakers) have chosen to mimic shifting gears, though it's unnecessary with a CVT, it's a marketing choice. The "gear number" displayed is whatever the programmer chooses to display...
I know all that... but it really does work like downshifting.... when you are going 60 or so take your foot off the gas and hit the left paddle shifter once, then again, then again and you will feel the decelaration.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback cr-v, prius, rav 4