Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Outrageous Prices at the Movies
Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Huh. I've walked in with sandwiches, bags of french fries and a soda in my hands. Granted not in the last 5 years. Never even thought about it.

If they told me I couldnt bring in my own food, they'd have to refund my ticket!

Theres no way i'm giving them ten bucks for a soda and popcorn.

Theres only one time I had someone give me a hard time about bringing in food, and that was at a hotel in Cancun about 15 years ago. Not a particularly special place, seemed nice but middle of the road. I'm walking in the front door with a six pack, and some dude directing cab traffic out front points at a freshly erected sign that says "This is a ***** hotel, outside food and beverages are not allowed". Having had that pointed out, I removed two of the "*"'s, handed them to the guy and said "there, now you're just a three star hotel and my six pack is a-ok" and proceeded through to the beach.

They kept putting the "*"'s back up and I kept taking a random number from 1-4 down every day and hiding them somewhere in the lobby. Either they were good at finding them, or they had a big bag of stars somewhere...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

This thread prompts me to ask a question about outside food and beverages on ship cruises. I have always assumed that passangers on the cruise are allowed to bring aboard anything that they please including snacks and adult beverages.

I know that food is part of the price on a cruise (never been aboard one) but I am under the impression that cocktails, beer, wine etc are a cost item (at a high price). Am I correct on this assumption?

If the cost is high, as I assume, and a crusier brings aboard goodies that reduce the bar tab a bit, what's the harm?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
If the cost is high, as I assume, and a crusier brings aboard goodies that reduce the bar tab a bit, what's the harm?
NCL will allow liquor to be brought on board their Hawaii ships, but they hold it "in bond" for you until debarkation. You can't imbibe it on board unless you buy it from them.

Presumably it's a customs issue on their Fanning Island cruises, and perhaps they've relaxed the rules on the neighbor-island cruises. But I doubt they'd give up one of their major profit centers...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

They have discount deals if you buy tickets in bulk. You can get them online from the warehouse stores or the entertainment book. Although they are cheaper they still arent cheap though .
if you really want to buy in bulk you can get them straight from regal
http://www.regalcinemas.com/cgi-bin/...op.pl?terms=22
Maybe it would work with that barter system
Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

In pursuit of a reply about stashing a bottle or 2 of Jack Daniels in the luggage, are the bags of the passangers searched in order to ferrit out contraband like JD? If not, what is to keep a cruiser from getting liqurered up in the stateroom prior to shipboard activities?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I guess the bag full of booze bottles and the battery operated blender I bought on my last cruise would be frowned on these days
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
In pursuit of a reply about stashing a bottle or 2 of Jack Daniels in the luggage, are the bags of the passangers searched in order to ferrit out contraband like JD? If not, what is to keep a cruiser from getting liqurered up in the stateroom prior to shipboard activities?
I'm sure the luggage is sent through some sort of imaging system before it goes onboard.

So the JD or the Wild Turkey might get through unscathed. But the Chivas or the single malt would probably be "missing"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

check out cruisecritic.com message boards for your cruise line of choice to see what the unstated policy re: alcohol and searches is.

When returning from the daytrip to some Caribbean island, I've personally walked on board a Celebrity ship with 2 large cardboard boxes labeled "LIQUOR" in really big letters. They were obviously full of liquor and were heavy. There's a check-in table where they ask you to deposit your liquor while you're on the ship. Then you pick it up when you disembark. I just held my head up high, acted uber-confident, and walked straight past the liquor-check table and proceeded to my stateroom. Needless to say, the 3-4 gallons of liquor I bought were more than plenty.

As to carrying it on board, I think their security checks are mostly for explosives and weapons. I'm guessing a bottle or two wouldn't be noticed. If you're worried, conceal the contents in ubiquitous containers. Tequila or dark rum goes in the 20 oz apple juice bottle. Vodka or clear rum goes into Evian bottles. You get the idea.

I've heard some people even take a 12 pack or two on board.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...lets see...we're putting billions into bureaucracy to protect us from terrorism and we dont x-ray checked airline baggage.

What do you think the odds are that a cruise line is doing it in exchange for your $2000 fare?

The good news is, after a cruise ship is blown up, we'll add a whole new division to HS and put a huge and annoying group of security people to check you as you embark and disembark. But we still wont check your baggage.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
What do you think the odds are that a cruise line is doing it in exchange for your $2000 fare?
I can only speak for NCL and the imaging system that they have at the Honolulu Harbor embarkation pier. You know, the one you pass your luggage through and watch on the screen before you go stand in line...

$2000?!? Yikes! $250-$500, and that's including a week of port taxes & tips. It helps to be living 30 minutes away from the pier.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$2000 for two is about right, a little low once you add all the extras and excursions.

I know there is a wide range, maybe I should move closer to the coast