Join Early Retirement Today

Outrageous Prices at the Movies
Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Outrageous Prices at the Movies

I can't believe the costs of attending a movie at local theater. We took my niece and a friend to weekend matinee -- CHILD's matinee ticket was $5.50, plus $8.00 for minimum standard snacks (SMALL popcorn $4.25 and SMALL drink $3.75), for a grand total for two kids of $27.00!!!!! Add in our adult tickets and NO snacks, we spent $41.00 for an hour and a half PG animated "family movie" outing. How do they expect families to do this?

So, I must return to my boycott of movie theaters, and wish that others would, too. If we all stopped going, perhaps they would drop prices to lure us all back in. But as long as people pay these going rates, they will charge what the market will bear.

And by the way, everyone I saw (even me) paid by credit/debit card, and it was shocking to me to see so many kids (I mean really young pups) handling a card of their own. Wonder how parents can possibly manage all this!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Outrageous Prices at the Movies
Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should try taking your kids to a sporting event.

At least after you've doled out a bunch of money at a movie theater, you rarely get drunks throwing beer and obscenities...

We havent been to a movie in over 5 years. Bought an inexpensive projector and hooked up a very modest home theater, and we watch movies at home off of satellite or netflix. Eat and drink whatever we want. I'm pretty sure thats paid for itself several times over by now.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #3

My wife and I enjoy going to the 'big screen'. We never eat any of the junk food at the theater. We usually go to the early movie on Saturday's about 4-5 pm. We are out by 7 pm and go out to dinner. Since we go to the early movie it's $5.50 apiece - or $11 - Not too bad.

BTW - don't even think about taking a kid to a pro sports game. By the time you end up with parking, ticket prices and/or food - you'll be lucky to stay under $200!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Administrator

Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The library has DVDs but they are rarely in. So I browse the listings online, pick out a few and reserve them online. They give me a call when they're ready ("You're videos are ready, sir"), I pick them up and keep them for a week.

Selection isn't great, but I've gotten some pretty good movies lately (The Stunt Man, Roger Dodger, Notorious).
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last movie I saw at a theater was ET, yep..been that long and probably won't step foot in one again. Comcast On Demand is great, if dh and I want to see a movie it's there, we don't mind waiting until it's on the free listings.

As far as sporting events, we both agree it's much better at home where you can relax and see the replays.

I don't know how families can afford nights out anymore.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Due to the prices we don't go to the movies much either.

We're fortunate that we can borrow movies with friends and family for free. I did break down and purchase 4 movies this past week but they were $7.50 each on special. I figure now I can do a little more bartering.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of the things we really enjoy in Panama is the movie theatres. The tickets costs $4 per preson ($2.50 per kid) and on Wednesdays it's $2. The only drawback is not all the movies from the states make there way down here. Mostly just the blockbuster movies (MI 3, Ice Age 2, Cars) make it here so if you want to see the lower crust stuff you have to wait a few weeks or months. Some movies come to the theatres that we know are out on video already in the states. All in all though we can't complain about the price, selection maybe.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #9

Mrs. Grumpy and I go to the movies pretty often (2-3/month). Senior discount price is $7. We take our own snacks. We usually have a quick dinner out before the show. This is something we started early in our marriage. When our kids were little we went on a movie "date" EVERY Saturday night. Old habits die hard. I am still trying to convince DW that we don't have to go to the movies on Saturday when it is crowded but can go during the week now that we are retired. So far I am not winning that battle. But then again, I don't win very many battles with her.

Grumpy
Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #10

Well, aren't we all a bunch of cheap bastards LBYM'ers? I'm so proud to see myself in such good company.

I was passing one of the local gigaplex cinema 98 screen places yesterday and realized that I can't even remember the last time we went out to see a movie.

To be honest, I'm not sure if my case is because I'm being frugal or that most everything I see come out of Hollywood is obvious crap. Plus, I prefer the company of my family, the cheaper snacks and the fact that I can smack anybody who interrupts my cinemographic entertainment by using their cell phone.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
This is something we started early in our marriage. When our kids were little we went on a movie "date" EVERY Saturday night. Old habits die hard.
This is how I feel about going to the movies. It a date for us with all the trimmings. Although DH would probably like to skip the movies and just go for the trimmings, you know the hot buttery popcorn.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Night
I can't believe the costs of attending a movie at local theater.* We took my niece and a friend to weekend matinee -- CHILD's matinee ticket was $5.50, plus $8.00 for minimum standard snacks (SMALL popcorn $4.25 and SMALL drink $3.75), for a grand total for two kids of $27.00!!!!!* Add in our adult tickets and NO snacks, we spent $41.00 for an hour and a half PG animated "family movie" outing.* How do they expect families to do this?
I'm amazed that you haven't been labeled a whiner! Hawaii's cheapest tickets start at $6.25... and spam musubi are selling for prices that must mean that they're made out of gold bullion.

When you consider that you could buy the video/DVD, watch it until the kid's head explodes (or they've memorized all the punchlines for your endless entertainment), and then resell it on eBay for at least half your purchase price... I wonder how much a $41 monthly payment will buy at Circuit City's media-room department?

It must be the big-screen impact and the THX sound systems. And the camaraderie of dozens of cell phones & chatty viewers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We rarely go to the movies but when we do, we usually go eat dinner first. The way I look at it, I can spend $20 on dinner and then go to the movies, or spend $20 on popcorn and drinks and watch the movie, a no-brainer.

When I was in high school, I remember my girlfriend's dad used to sneak in popcorn and drinks. He would get some long plastic bags, fill them up with popcorn and shove them down the arm holes of his jacket. He would fill the arm holes full of 12 ounce cans of coke too. He had 5 kids, and that meant 5 jackets. Makes me wonder what he could have snagged from a Hampton Inn continental breakfast.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
When I was in high school, I remember my girlfriend's dad used to sneak in popcorn and drinks. He would get some long plastic bags, fill them up with popcorn and shove them down the arm holes of his jacket. He would fill the arm holes full of 12 ounce cans of coke too. He had 5 kids, and that meant 5 jackets. Makes me wonder what he could have snagged from a Hampton Inn continental breakfast.
Back when I used to go to movies at the $1.50 theater, I'd occasionally sneak in with canned drinks*. The distinct "pop" of opening them was embarrassing though, since everybody knew what you were doing.

*including beer
Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Back when I used to go to movies at the $1.50 theater, I'd occasionally sneak in with canned drinks*.
My second-proudest parenting moment has been discovering that our kid regularly sneaks Jamba Juice drinks into the movie theater.

My proudest moment was when she offered to teach me how to do it for just a $5 consulting fee.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Netflix and minor league baseball.

Oooh, I second that, we have a minor league team north of us, they have a nice little stadium, the players are really into it (hey, they're trying to break into the majors, no escalades here) and the family gets in with all the trimmings for a fraction of a big league game.

We haven't been to the movie theatre since "Revenge of the Sith" and our $3,000 home entertainment system (internal projection HDTV and 6.1 DTS surround sound system) has probably paid for itself at this point, too, we've had it 3.5 years.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Why pay that much for garbage ?

I quit going to the movies 10 years ago not because of the cost but because my political views differ greatly from Hollywood's and I won't support them with my money. I like to vote with my wallet like that. Back when I used to take my kids we'd take our own snacks and drink water.

By the way, you can still get a ticket to Major League Baseball here for $ 6.00. Cleveland Indians Upper Outfield Reserve. The beer is expensive but you can get a hot dog for $ 2.50.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Over a year since our last theater movie -- used to do it once a week.

Here's my list of pros and cons:

Theater - Pros

1. Big screen

2. Can get caught up in communal reaction (e.g. When hundreds of people laugh, you tend to laugh, too)

3. "Night out"

Theater - Cons

1. Person behind you kicks chair, talks, gets cell phone call, has bad breath, is a noisy eater

2. Person in front of you is tall

3. High cost

4. Marketing deceptions (you order a "small" popcorn and get more than you can healthily eat. turns out you should have ordered a "mini" popcorn).

5. Risk of commercials prior to movie

6. Movie may be out of focus, or there may be a buzz in the audio (do you try to find someone to tell or live with it?)

Home Viewing - Pros

1. Cheaper or free

2. Can rewind if you can't hear the dialog

3. Can turn on subtitles if you still can't catch the words

4. Can pause the video to study brief nude scenes (for research, of course)

5. If you don't like the movie you eject it and put in another

6. No rushing to get there on time

7. You can fast-forward through the credits

8. Beer or wine available at 50 cents per glass

Home Viewing - Cons

1. Phone rings and interrupts the picture

2. Smaller screen (however, I learned, from watching a movie on a 13 inch TV once, that if you get into it, you don't notice)

3. Some idiot decided that you shouldn't be allowed to fast forward through the FBI warning.
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

* We've got a couple of second-run houses in town ... $1.50 on the weekends ... most of the time we head to dinner afterwards, so we're not inclined to load up on popcorn.

* *A couple of other tricks ... AAA sells discount tickets -- most theaters take them for films out for at least 10 days. It's pretty much the matinee price (depends on the company), so they're best used at a time you'd have to pay full freight.

* *Kerasotes theaters also has a 5-buck movie club. You sign up for the card online and each week, they send you an e-mail listing which movies are eligible. Once a film hits the list, you can see it for 5 bucks at any showing.

* *Or* the next time your satellite or cable co. offers a free preview of HBO or whatever, fire up the recorder ....*
Old 06-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Netflix.

Laptop computer.

Large external hard drive.

Video out to projector.

Soundblaster PCMCIA audio card with optical output to Dolby Digital receiver.

DvdDecrypter.

WinDVD.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote