Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Outsourcing Tutoring from India
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tutoring in India. Got a problem with that, blame Nehru. Remember him... the guy with the jacket? First thing he did was set up a string of universities all over India, even in the boonies. To get in was competitive. As a result there were lots and lots of really smart grads with little opportunity in India. So India lost lots of brainpower. The USA got a bunch of it. That was before the internet. That changed everything. Still millions and millions of very smart people now doing everything from reading your x-rays to scheduling your Las Vegas dinner reservation. I think I read their economy will or has taken 3rd place surpassing Japan's... that right?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

So flesh out what you said there, Bum ... it was a blameworthy thing or a praiseworthy thing to spread education in a poor country?

(Incidentally I think you'll find most universities in India trace their roots back to the British, long before Nehru) ... but that is neither here nor there I'm just trying to confirm what it is you mean to say by your post.

When the US "acquired" the Philippines from Spain, even before all the smoke in the "War of Philippine Insurrection" had cleared was to import large quantities of teachers and establish little white school houses in even the most remote corners of the country ... the Spanish had operated on the "keep 'em ignorant", Taft, in particular was the US president most to "blame" for Philippine schools.

I'm pretty uneducated myself but somehow I always thought leaders that made for education rather than war or crooked business were to be admired rather than blamed ... but hey, that's just me.

With respect to India taking the lead from Japan ... has to happen ... if for no other reason than Japan's population is shrinking ... but China will blow them both out of the water.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry if my post was vague RP. How can education be blameworthy? Hmmmm. Lets see. How about, "I could have ER'd sooner if I hadn't sent my kid to college
Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
Well thanks for the response ... sounds to me though like the TV station got the story skewed ... another "urban legend" in the making, perhaps, because work-visa based immigration just can't happen that way.

unscrupulous companies can recruit ... it's a big problem in the Philippines and other Asian countries ... but only the actual employee/sponsor can make the visa happen ... and it's not easy, proof that there are not satisfactory US candidates for the jobs have to be furnished and binds have to be posted to insure potential workers don't arrive with no place to go.
This subject )Filipino teachers showing up unannounced) intrigued me enough to dig further. What I found was what I really already knew but (as usual) ignored. Where there's a way to game the system, the system will be gamed.

Here's a news story that shows how one group of professional educators were duped by a recruiting company into signing documentation that they would hire teachers. They did not hire the number they might have, but the recruitment company used to documentation to make it look as if there was a job to match up with the precious H-1 visas which were duly issued and indeed did cause hapless Filipino teachers to arrive in the US sans jobs.

So Kahn certainly did have the facts straight as did the TV station he saw the report ion ... and I did have my facts straight that there's a strict process to assure that there's a job documented for each applicant before they can get a visa to even leave their home country ... but false documentation can trump any one's ace.

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200703110416.htm

What I like about this place is I learn so much.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
This subject )Filipino teachers showing up unannounced) intrigued me enough to dig further. What I found was what I really already knew but (as usual) ignored. Where there's a way to game the system, the system will be gamed.

Here's a news story that shows how one group of professional educators were duped by a recruiting company into signing documentation that they would hire teachers. They did not hire the number they might have, but the recruitment company used to documentation to make it look as if there was a job to match up with the precious H-1 visas which were duly issued and indeed did cause hapless Filipino teachers to arrive in the US sans jobs.

So Kahn certainly did have the facts straight as did the TV station he saw the report ion ... and I did have my facts straight that there's a strict process to assure that there's a job documented for each applicant before they can get a visa to even leave their home country ... but false documentation can trump any one's ace.

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200703110416.htm

What I like about this place is I learn so much.

I also learn much here.

Thank you for looking that up.