Oven Self-Cleaner Broken

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our oven's self cleaner stopped working. I've had no luck in diagnosing it or finding good info on the net. yes, it knows the door is locked.

It doesn't seem with it to get a new oven or have a repairman out. I'd like to avoid that caustic Easy-off type stuff. Anyone got any good tips on oven cleaning?

No easy off and no repair. We used auto degreasers to clean an oven and it worked pretty well. If you have a heat gun I think it would work really well too. This is the only tool I know that will reach self cleaning temperatures that ovens use.

I am interested in what turns up here too, as my range works fine but it does not have the self cleaning feature. Oven cleaning with the stuff they sell at supermarkets is really hard, and if you spill any of it on the enamel or on the floor, you have made a mess for sure.

Ha

Our oven's self cleaner stopped working. I've had no luck in diagnosing it or finding good info on the net. yes, it knows the door is locked.
It doesn't seem with it to get a new oven or have a repairman out. I'd like to avoid that caustic Easy-off type stuff. Anyone got any good tips on oven cleaning?
You're in luck. Oven high-temperature self-cleaners are one of the fastest ways to destroy the rest of an oven's components. To say nothing of the expense of the electricity, although in your house I guess it supplements the wood stove.

The frugal cleaning supplies would be soaking the mess in vinegar or using a baking soda paste. You could also use a paste of dishwasher detergent, but that has a very harsh pH (lye). I've known people to line the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil, but I've also heard bad things about its purported dangers. However we line our toaster oven with foil and throw it out every few years, so I'm apathetic about the dangers.

Here's a dumb question: why clean the oven in the first place? If you use it a lot, the baked-on goop will eventually carbonize to the point where you can scrape it out with a plastic putty knife.

The failure of the self-cleaning portion of the oven was the first sign of of much larger (water caused corrosion) problem, which within a year led to the replacement of my 3.5 year old range. So if you have a reliable appliance repair guy I'd sure invest in a service call. I think if I had gotten right on instead of waiting several months I may have saved it.

Mine have always smoked if I didn't clean them. A smoking oven in a multi-unit building in Seattle may bring the FD, who may bring a bill along with them.

Ha

The failure of the self-cleaning portion of the oven was the first sign of of much larger (water caused corrosion) problem, which within a year led to the replacement of my 3.5 year old range. So if you have a reliable appliance repair guy I'd sure invest in a service call. I think if I had gotten right on instead of waiting several months I may have saved it.

Good advice, but this oven isn't worth saving. It works fine, but I'm looking forward to the day it dies. I want stronger burners that are easier to clean, and an oven that will work even if the power is out.

Good advice, but this oven isn't worth saving. It works fine, but I'm looking forward to the day it dies. I want stronger burners that are easier to clean, and an oven that will work even if the power is out.

Sounds like the perfect reason to start shopping!

-- Rita

You have natural gas, or will you have to go to propane?

Ha

haha said:
You have natural gas, or will you have to go to propane?

Ha

We only have propane here. Our current oven uses propane, but needs electricity to ignite.

Last edited:
We only have propane here. Our current oven uses propane, but need electricity to ignite.
A safety feature on gas ovens - you can't stick your head in it and say "goodbye, world!" as the ones from a half-century ago :angel: ...

Here's one oven cleaning method using baking soda and water.

Eight Easy Steps to a Clean Oven

I was skeptical but I tried this . My oven self cleaning works but it makes the house sooo hot and in Florida that is not a good thing . I sprayed on the baking soda & water a few times and the grease just started to melt away . This is the easiest oven cleaner method I have ever used . Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom