Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but what do you think I should do ?

1. Letter to mall owner.
This is what I would do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Dude, you really are a master of half-assed innuendo.

Here, I'll try to be nicer: cool car, dude !
OK you're right, you call him an idiot and you want to write a letter to his boss. Takes all kinds I guess. Still think it's pretty funny, a grown man getting thrown out of a mall.

Yeah, my car is pretty cool, thanks.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No doubt some of you think I should have been led away in handcuffs,
but I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts ...
I think you should have been taken into a back room had your head wrapped in a towel and then beaten with a phone book. But, that's just me.

A guy doing his job, keeping a level of decorum in a boutique mall. Most likely doesn't get paid too well for it and is the butt of jokes.
Movie Review - Paul Blart: Mall Cop - A Hapless Security Guard Runs Amok - NYTimes.com

There might of been other customers who wrote letters to the mall owners complaining about people lying down on the benches and as a result the security guard was instructed to tell people not to do it.

If a person is doing a good job they deserve respect - especially those that deal with the general public. I think your comment is more of a reflection on you than the security guard. Again, that's just me.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I also think letter writing is little much in this case. Neither of you distinguished yourselves in this affair. He likely realizes that he messed up by returning to harass you. You maybe realize that the is within his rights to ask you to sit, rather than semi-recline on a bench.

A big job in malls today is preventing loutish behavior, which can chase away customers and also lead to violence. I see someone reclining on a bench I immediately think this person is ill or a bum. He probably did too.

Ha
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #25

As others have suggested, I'd have a word with mall management. This guy is doing the mall harm.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

You could have waited for him to walk away and tell you friend your encounter with an idiot. What do you expect when someone hear you call him an idiot?
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I think you should have been taken into a back room had your head wrapped in a towel and then beaten with a phone book. But, that's just me.
No, dex, that's not just you.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yes, this was definitely a situation that required violence...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Well I can see myself having a moment where I might stretch out a leg on a bench in a mall. Particularly if I'm on the phone and not thinking about how relaxed I might look. And I could see myself getting embarrassed and pissed if a security guard were to single me out in this situation. So I can understand how the OP might make such a comment while in this frame of mind. Maybe inappropriate, but I understand.

So I would write the mall owner and explain exactly what took place.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Usually, I'd recommend a letter since it's easier/more convenient for the mall owner to take action using a letter. In this case, I'd recommend a phone call. That will give you an opportunity to get a measure of the mall manager and him of you. If he doesn't ask you why you referred to one of his employees as an idiot, then you'll know he's only interested in making nice to get you off the phone. He's also not the kind of strong person who confronts rudeness directly when he comes into contact with it. And, if he doesn't have this discussion with you, he won't have enough information to effectively approach his employee, get his story, and provide the guidance the employee needs in order to be more courteous and effective next time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but what do you think I should do ?

1. Letter to mall owner.
2. Letter to business owners.
3. Letter to local newspaper.
4. Get over it.
5. Other.
6. All of the above.
7. None of the above.
8. Apologize
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

So the guy was doing his job and you refer to him as an idiot within earshot? I agree with Westernskies...you owe the security guard an apology.

And for those of you advising to contact mall management...um, why? As the story was related, the guard was DOING HIS JOB. Sheesh.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #33

Apparently you're not alone:

Officer delayed Moats as relative died

Police officer delays Ryan Moats of Houston Texans in hospital parking lot as family member dies - ESPN
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

OK, calling someone an idiot within earshot was probably not a good idea. BUT, depending upon my moods/circumstances, I might take offense in the way the security guard might have approached me. I would have much more appreciated the security guard if he asked me if I was OK because maybe my back was out from walking funny or when I bent over suddenly, or maybe I was having cramps and I needed to lie like that until Advil took effect or my blood pressure is high or WHATEVER. And after making sure I didn't need any assistance, explain to me that they have this problem with people sleeping on the mall bench or whatever. I don't know how much money he was being paid, but common courtesy toward another fellow human doesn't hurt. Maybe he has been having a lousy day, I don't know.

If it makes you feel better, write to the mall saying a little more courtesy/common sense approach needs to be considered from the management point of view.

tmm
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
OK, calling someone an idiot within earshot was probably not a good idea. BUT, depending upon my moods/circumstances, I might take offense in the way the security guard might have approached me. I would have much more appreciated the security guard if he asked me if I was OK because maybe my back was out from walking funny or when I bent over suddenly, or maybe I was having cramps and I needed to lie like that until Advil took effect or my blood pressure is high or WHATEVER. And after making sure I didn't need any assistance, explain to me that they have this problem with people sleeping on the mall bench or whatever.
The OP said he was talking on the cell phone when this happened. The security guard might have thought it was more courteous to minimize the disruptive discussion rather than engage in a therapy session right on the spot.

If that was his thinking, I think the guard would have been right.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If that was his thinking, I think the guard would have been right.
It's all speculation at this point... ;->
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I'd have probably started talking loudly to myself, and then peed in one of the potted plants. Then I'd have made them drag me out while I went limp and cried and cussed at them. I mean, if you're going to get thrown out of the mall, might as well make it entertaining. You might even have made onto Youtube.

But that's just me.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
then peed in one of the potted plants.
Why didn't I think of that!

tmm
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you everyone, it has been a treat to check back in and read your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Guy probably catches flack all the time. Being called an idiot probably set him off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
People calling staff idiots is a bad atmosphere ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
OK you're right, you call him an idiot and you want to write a letter to his boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
... you call him an idiot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
OK, calling someone an idiot
How much clearer do I have to make it that I DID NOT CALL HIM AN
IDIOT (i.e. "You idiot !", or "hey, idiot" ) I referred to him in the
third person, to explain to my friend why we were interrupted; AFTER
I had complied with the security guard's reasonable request to sit up.
I did not raise my voice (i.e. "THIS IDIOT"). Seriously, please believe me.

I particularly want to thank YOU guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
No, dex, that's not just you.
I mean, seriously, you think a person ought to be beaten, under sanction
of law, for referring to someone as an "idiot" within their earshot ?
I'm sorry, that you hold our Constitution, for which so many have died
and so many continue to serve bravely to defend, in so little regard.
(I love you guys).

And finally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Truthfully I think you should walk away and let it go. Try walking in this guys shoes for a day and any of us may have reacted the same. This mall cop is at the low end of the food chain with crappy duties and crappy pay so why add more crap to his pile. Who knows what has gone on in his life that caused him to act the way he did towards you. Should he have spoken to you the way he did - probably not. However in the big picture of life does it really matter. With everything going on in the world today I wouldn't figure getting upset over something trivial is not a productive use of your time or energy. Mark it down to experience and move on.

Your response contains more wisdom than all the other combined (mine included), and I shall take it to heart !
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. ? Author