Join Early Retirement Today

Overall happiness is apparently in decline.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Overall happiness is apparently in decline.

"According to trend analysis of 4.6 billion tweets, our overall happiness is apparently in decline."

"Moreover, happiness tends to peak on weekends, and plummet, at least relatively, on Mondays and Tuesdays."

Hmmm....do you think w*rking might be impacting these results?

Tweets show global happiness has dropped
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good point.

Now that I am retired, I'm doing my best to buck the trend....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

This is not secret. Usually Monday syndrome is followed by the longest day in a week, Tuesday. Wednesday gives more hope that half week is done. Thursday is good because weekend is coming, and Friday just flies by. This has been confirmed by Figure 5 (PLoS ONE : accelerating the publication of peer-reviewed science) in this research paper. Maybe it's time to consider shifting investment portfolio to more pharmaceutical companies making antidepressant?

Talking about Rx, I found this interesting (or even shocking) 2010 national top 200 generic prescription drugs list (http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com...43/article.pdf). For instance, over 122 mils Hydrocodone (synthetic opioid), over 5.5 mils Venlafaxine (antidepressant) (552.8% from previous year). The total sum of Rxs reached 2322249978, which translates to about 7.4 Rxs/person in 2010. This even does not include over counter non-prescriptions yet. I'm so depressed after doing these calculations. Sorry, I have to get myself some Prozac now.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
Talking about Rx, I found this interesting (or even shocking) 2010 national top 200 generic prescription drugs list (http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com...43/article.pdf). For instance, over 122 mils Hydrocodone (synthetic opioid), over 5.5 mils Venlafaxine (antidepressant) (552.8% from previous year). The total sum of Rxs reached 2322249978, which translates to about 7.4 Rxs/person in 2010. This even does not include over counter non-prescriptions yet. I'm so depressed after doing these calculations. Sorry, I have to get myself some Prozac now.
The reason DW/me are "over allocated" to VGHCX (Vanguard Health Care).

A/O yesterdays close, it is up +10.28 YTD (our best performer, just over the +8.56 YTD return of PSST - you know the fund ). Heck, VGHCX just paid a dividend of $4.35/share.

It's all due to those old pharts (like me ) taking our meds due to age, along with the younger folks taking their "happy pills" due to the pressures of w*rk ...

There's profit to be made in bad situations...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
This is not secret. Usually Monday syndrome is followed by the longest day in a week, Tuesday. Wednesday gives more hope that half week is done. Thursday is good because weekend is coming, and Friday just flies by.
This is why, when I take a day off to make a long weekend, I prefer taking off a Monday, rather than Friday. On Friday, I'm already mentally in weekend mode, so taking the day off doesn't really do me much good. But Sunday is usually spoiled, somewhat, by knowing that Monday will soon be here. So if I take Monday off, it makes Sunday feel like another Saturday. But, for some reason, instead of simply transferring that Sunday feeling to Monday, Monday ends up feeling like a special day. And then I come back to work on Tuesday knowing that my workweek is suddenly 20% shorter.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
gone traveling

I wonder about the demographics of the tweeting population, mostly young people using this social media? If there is high % of young folks unemployed or struggling financially, should it be a surprise.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Administrator

A few weeks ago our son changed his shift schedule from 4 x 10hr shifts, Mon - Fri, to 3 x 12 hr shifts Fri - Sun. He says he loves it, and one reason is that Mondays are now the last day of the week instead of the first.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #8

Just ask B.B. about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
The reason DW/me are "over allocated" to VGHCX (Vanguard Health Care).
Thanks for the tip of VGHCX, rescueme. My employer plan doesn't carry it as an option, so I might have to buy it by myself.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote