Overdrive for books and audio books

Ally

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've discovered Overdrive from my library and have been borrowing free e-books and audio books for listening while walking. I never knew how nice this service is! Our library also has Zinio for free magazines. I haven't used it yet, but will soon. I thought I'd share in case someone else hadn't heard of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Overdrive is great. I'm reading a library book on it right now.

My local library system is part of a Provincial network that used to have a single contract with Overdrive. This meant that everyone in BC had access to an enormous selection. However, Overdrive's business model has changed (they want to make more money), which reduces the selection available to me.

News & Events - Okanagan Regional Library

"In late 2011, OverDrive, the company that licenses our access to eBooks and eAudiobooks through the collection, changed its business model and required all libraries serving populations of over 100,000 people to negotiate individual contracts with them, resulting in the creation and launch of the ORL eBooks collection in 2012."

We're on overdrive at our library too. I never really used it until we set off on this 7 week trip through Mexico. It's been a big help since we only packed a few tablets for the kids and a phone for me plus 1 laptop for the whole family to share. I've checked out a number of fairly new releases. Then download them to my kindle reader that's installed on all tablets and my android phone. It keeps track of where I am in each book so I can grab any device and pick up where I left off.

It's also nice to have my book handy wherever I am. 3 year old spending 15 minutes taking a dump? Boom - read a chapter or two. 30 minute subway ride back home - there's another few chapters. 4 hour bus ride - recline and enjoy some reading. I'm curious if I'll revert back to physical books once I get back home (their physical book collection is far superior to their ebook collection right now).

We are a city of 245,000, so are probably in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have downloaded hundreds of books on Overdrive. The selection is getting better every year. Still a few holdout publishers.

I've been using Overdrive for books for several years, but I just tried my first audiobook. Once I paired it with the Bluetooth on my car's radio, it starts and stops automatically when I start and stop the car which I thought was cool.

I'm amazed at my capacity for tedious work when I've got an audiobook going to ease the pain.

We have gone through the same process with Overdrive. Because we live in a district with 42000 people, the selection and availability is now limited. And wait times are long. But it used to be a great tool before 2011.

We have gone through the same process with Overdrive. Because we live in a district with 42000 people, the selection and availability is now limited. And wait times are long. But it used to be a great tool before 2011.

I'm in the same boat as you, live in a low population county with limited library ebook availability. In my state (AZ) the larger population counties offer either free or reasonable cost library access to other AZ residents. I now belong to 3 different library districts and the number of ebooks available is about 10X what I originally had.

Overdrive

I used to have trouble getting books until I added our snowbird library location and my parents home location in Mi. I had to show a bill in Mi. so I used the tax bill which had my name on it. Usualy can find something in one of the three.

Another Overdrive fan here. In California state residents seem to be able to get free cards at any city / county public library system. So I collect cards from within California and also sometimes pay for one or two non-resident public library cards for library systems with a lot of ebooks or other online resources that are outside the state:

MobileRead Wiki - EBook Lending Libraries

Our in-state libraries even have free passes for plays, gardens, a mine tour, museums and many other cultural attractions. I use Freegal for music and music video downloads. Those are even ones we get to keep, not just borrow. I haven't spent hardly any money on iTunes since I found Freegal.

Books, ebooks, audio books, magazines, online magazines, music downloads, DVDs, music video downloads, activity passes, online courses, Lynda.com subscriptions, how to videos, used books sales, on site classes and lectures, seed libraries, tool lending - it is all kind of amazing what is available from public libraries either for free or nominal cost. We could stay entertained all year here just between our library cards and public parks, beaches, lakes and hike / bike trails.

I love Overdrive for audio books. I just finished The Monuments Men which is a fascinating story of Hitler's kleptocracy. I am in the middle of Heretic which is an interesting analysis of the theology behind the Islamic State movement and its implications for civil society.

Didn't realize Overdrive did audio books as well - will need to try that out. Thanks for the tip!

Use overdrive and zinio and enjoy both. I

I Much prefer magazines from the library via the zinio app instead of actual magazines. I have a problem with getting rid of actual magazines in a timely fashion and they end up being clutter. I also like that I am getting the e-magazines for free from the library.

Our library has less of a selection of ebooks compared to regular books, but ebooks are so handy when traveling. I load up my iPad when traveling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, love Overdrive for both audio and e-Books. Just listened to William Bernstein's 'The Birth of Plenty' and 'The Intelligent Asset Allocator' while working in the yard. Love them while out walking too. Also have hoopla from another library system which has a good selection but seems to be only a streaming service so not as useful as Overdrive when I don't have data access.

Use overdrive and zinio and enjoy both. I

I am curious about Zinio. I have read that one cannot fully delete a magazine. Sure, it will no longer be loaded on the reading device, but the graphic for that magazine is there forever, cluttering up the device and making it hard to figure out what one has read, and what remains to be read. Is this true?

I am curious about Zinio. I have read that one cannot fully delete a magazine. Sure, it will no longer be loaded on the reading device, but the graphic for that magazine is there forever, cluttering up the device and making it hard to figure out what one has read, and what remains to be read. Is this true?

I use the Zinio reader on my laptop (Windows), I don't see any trace of the magazine after it's deleted.

IPads are a PITA in this regard. In some apps you need to clear app data to get rid of old junk.

I've been using Overdrive for books for several years, but I just tried my first audiobook. Once I paired it with the Bluetooth on my car's radio, it starts and stops automatically when I start and stop the car which I thought was cool.

I'm amazed at my capacity for tedious work when I've got an audiobook going to ease the pain.

Certainly makes a 1+ hour commute go MUCH faster.

Back
Top Bottom