Votes: 6 8.6%
  • 10 pounds over

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • 15+ over

Votes: 35 50.0%

• Total voters

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is a spin off of a discussion on Fire And Money about medical coverage in the US. Part of the discussion is that some of us may be contributiog to less than ideal health by less than ideal eating/excercise habits and being over weight. Now I wonder of the RE folks who are disclipined in finacnial management are as a whole bettter in healthly weight management as well. Have you stayed the same, lost or gained weight in retirement? I don't know of the best way to quantify food and excercise issues but they may be as inmportant as financial issues in retirement.

I am using the CDC site for BMI (body mass index) (http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm) you can use that or any legitimate site you want (Weight Watchers?) For what its worth I have to fess up that Option 5 applies to me.

Oh no...we have debates about the CPI being flawed and now we have the BMI. This measure is crap. I am 27, 6'2" 200 lbs., mostly muscle but I am overweight according to the BMI :LOL:

Me too. I'd have to lose 30lbs to be considered in the reasonable weight range. I'd have to cut off a buttock or something to get down that low. My wife keeps telling me I need to gain 10lbs. I think thats just so she can outrun me though. She's right in there though, hers is 18.6

I'm the same weight now as I was when I was 13. Doesn't say much since I probably need to lose ~30 pounds to get from "obese" to "overweight". And that much again to get within the "normal" range. "Heavyset", "stocky" - polite adjectives to describe me.

I swear it's in the genes, at least partially. The other part is how I love food. Generally balanced diet though, good lab work/blood levels. One long term goal is gradual lifestyle modification to exercise more and continually maintain/improve eating/diet.

Prioritization of exercise isn't high enough in my life. When I have an hour or so of free time per day (after 8-5 job, family, and household responsibilities), it's hard to devote it to exercise. Another reason to ER? :-\

I have to shed some weight though. I was turned down for an individual Blue Cross health insurance policy a few years back because my height/weight was outside their acceptable parameters for issuing a policy. I'll have to secure my own health ins. for ER. I need to determine what their "acceptable" range is and at least shoot for that.

5'10", 185, 26.2. However I look like the guy on the left under the "Calculate" button.

Getting under 174 would bring my BMI back under 25, but the other thing I'd lose in the process would be the will to live.

Cognitive dissonance-- I know that underweight mice tend to live longer, and I'm not sure the result is worth the effort.

But if losing that extra 10 pounds could make me spin faster in tae kwon do or surf better... hmmm...

justin said:
Prioritization of exercise isn't high enough in my life. When I have an hour or so of free time per day (after 8-5 job, family, and household responsibilities), it's hard to devote it to exercise. Another reason to ER? :-\

You could do what I do and pace madly around the office all day long. :)

A coworker of mine wants to install a standing desk in his office. He thinks it is healthier and he will burn more calories. His doctor at the Mayo clinic has a treadmill in his office. He spends all his office time on the treadmill, with a working area designed on the top, walking at the rate of .8mph.

Martha said:
A coworker of mine wants to install a standing desk in his office. 
The morning DJs on Hawaii's radio station KSSK have been broadcasting their show without chairs for two decades.

GEN Pagonis, the Army's director of logistics for DESERT SHIELD & DESERT STORM, used to have staff meetings without tables or chairs. Notes were limited to index cards (although you were allowed to use both sides). Electricity was not permitted. Power Point was grounds for summary execution. It all seemed to work pretty well for him, and those staff meetings really were brief.

But none of those guys will EVER stop working.

I think the treadmill/office is a good idea. Donald Rumsfeld (confusion to him!) stands instead of sits in his office and has a sort of podium for a desk.

I'm both happy and sad to see I'm not the only one here who's struggling with weight. I did start exercising more when I cut my work hours in half. But I need to do more. My dog would love it if I spent half an hour walking him per day, and that would probably be enough to burn off the excess pounds over a couple of years.

At 5'11" and 167 lbs, I have been told by several doctors that losing 10 lbs would be beneficial to my health.

I could do it, but why,  my uncles are all in their mid/late 80's and every one of them has enjoyed the SoCal Mexican diet for the last 50 years.  They seem healthier than most and all are in the 6'0" / 220 lb range.

I did try surfing with a 1970's 6'3" Bing Maui Foil a couple of years ago.  I might as well have been surfing on a log.

Nords said:
Cognitive dissonance-- I know that underweight mice tend to live longer, and I'm not sure the result is worth the effort.

Who the hell wants to be a skinny mouse?

Martha said:
A coworker of mine wants to install a standing desk in his office. He thinks it is healthier and he will burn more calories.

I started doing this in my kitchen with the new laptop. About all it did was give me sore knees, a sore hip and a sore back.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I started doing this in my kitchen with the new laptop.  About all it did was give me sore knees, a sore hip and a sore back.

I think that's just the result of having to support that huge weight on your chest all the time. :LOL:

Ouch, 6'6" 245lbs...

The army always thinks I'm fat...

6'3"

Jul 1 2001 - 220 (Before ER)
Jan 4 2006 - 197
Feb 17 2006 - 183

I don't recommend it, but having SO be included in a suit - then finding out the Apt property manager let the liability insurance lapse can do wonders for your waistline :( :mad:

I'm 6'2" and my last weigh in was 192, giving me a 24.6 BMI, so I'm just barely under the overweight threshhold.

BMI is goofy, but serves a little purpose. My goal weight is 177 per body fat measurements, that should get me to ~9% bodyfat and a decent shot at some abs. :) But while any lower than this would start getting dangerous, the BMI scale says I would do still be find losing another 20 lbs.!

Nords, I've seen you, no way are you overweight. BMI is definitely not working for you! I'm about ten pounds lighter than when you saw me.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Well then, I could use you for a PLP, but I'd have to lean down a good bit...

Ack! All I can think of is "progressive labour party."

Or things having to do with podiums, pencils, pancakes and popsickles. :eek:

And I thought the internet made everyone six feet tall...

I am really 6'2" but I was also trying to pick up some ER babes with my post.

Check your waist measurement men.

I learned this way back in the 60's, and I've observed that it is pretty much true.

No matter how tall you are, every inch your waist is over 32 means you are 5 lbs. overweight.

If you have a 40" waist then you need to lose 40 lb's.

Back
Top Bottom