Owl box

Michael Moore

Recycles dryer sheets
The Owl Box, Ustream.TV: For Molly's Mug, Mouse Pad, eBook and a T-shirt go to: www.transferit.com/theowlbox Date Laid and Time________Hatch Date___Nam...

We saw this mentioned yesterday in Jon Carroll's column in the SF Chronicle. There's a webcam streaming video from an owl nest near San Diego.

It has been interesting to watch the interactions of the adult owls with the newborn owlets. The male owl only pops in to drop off a fresh kill, and the times for that seem to be dawn/dusk. The female owl broods all day.

Warning: small rodents are delivered by the male owl and ripped up for distribution. We saw half a cottontail rabbit (just the drumsticks),a mouse and a rat in the time we watched yesterday.

One egg is still unhatched and looking unlikely to do so.

The coloration on the adult's feathers is very pretty - gold, white, light brown.

cheers,
Michael

Uh oh...I should have paid closer attention to your warning. :sick:

I do like it, however I'll come back to it a bit later with one eye open.
sCh_pirate.gif

Did that mean old owl get...the...the...Easter Bunny? :(

PS I didn't wach the action. I'm visually squeamish so I'll take your word for what goes (went) on.

We enjoyed camping under a pair of almost fledged Great Horned Owls a couple of years ago.

Maybe I should leave out the photo of the duck head that showed up on our patio one morning. Shadows of The Godfather!!!!

Audrey

We enjoyed camping under a pair of almost fledged Great Horned Owls a couple of years ago.

Maybe I should leave out the photo of the duck head that showed up on our patio one morning. Shadows of The Godfather!!!!

Audrey

There is an owl that hangs out in the big oak tree in my back yard.
Every once in a while i can hear him catching somethng.
Then, one day i let my mini schnauzer out back in the morning
crawl back into bed and a few minutes later, He jumps onto the bed
with what i thought was one of his fuzzy toys.

He usually he drops it down next to me, but this time
he just sat there with it with a funny look on his
face. I wake up a bit more and realize it's the back half
of a bunny.

That woke me up all the way... :eek:

Oh wow! So I wasn't the only one with a Godfather morning experience!

Audrey

A night or two ago the male brought back a rabbit that may have either been in shock or not too badly damaged. After it left to go hunting again the rabbit decided to make a break and charged towards the camera and out of sight. The female owl followed and that was curtains for the bunny.

The box is supposed to be about 15 feet off the ground on a pole so even if it had gotten out the door the rabbit probably wouldn't have been in the best of shape for running away before the owl could recapture it.

Nature, red of tooth and claw.

Either there are a lot more rodents around than one would think or the owl has a pretty large hunting range because they've got to bring in a fair bit of food every day, and the demand will increase as the owlets get bigger. The owlets grow at an amazing pace.

cheers,
Michael

Back
Top Bottom