Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Isn't "Real Time Fact Checking" an oxymoron? Actual fact checking means studying the issue, checking your sources, weighing the matter, considering other input, and probably running it by a committee for consensus to try to remove personal bias.

"Real Time Fact Checking" seems to come down to - this is what I think right now, as I speak, w/o checking and w/o anyone to play devil's advocate.
"Actual" fact checking is redundant - actual means based on fact. "Real time" describes when it takes place, and there is no reason facts cannot be verified in real time. In fact, I think the "Watson" series on Jeopardy was an excellent example of real time fact checking, presented as entertainment.

As presented in the context where we see it today, "Real Time Fact Checking" is a programming feature, and if it was software, we would probably call it "buggy". It might be the start of something, or just fade away. Clearly, this Version 1.0 needs improvement.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

HBO has a fairly new show (it's marketed as a nightly news program) that is put together by the Vice Network. They do tend to have a political leaning, but nonetheless, many of the stories they have run are pretty interesting. Last night's episode detailed the folks that run the "Politifact" website and how they do what they do. They followed them during the first two debates and showed how it was done in "real time" (many of the assertions have been made over and over). They are about as "real time" as a human can get when it comes to politics.

There...I kept it down the center, right? So no Porky?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
"Actual" fact checking is redundant - actual means based on fact. "Real time" describes when it takes place, and there is no reason facts cannot be verified in real time. In fact, I think the "Watson" series on Jeopardy was an excellent example of real time fact checking, presented as entertainment.

As presented in the context where we see it today, "Real Time Fact Checking" is a programming feature, and if it was software, we would probably call it "buggy". It might be the start of something, or just fade away. Clearly, this Version 1.0 needs improvement.
Watson is also a great example of the compute power needed for real time fact checking with a small set of data. Watson only had 4TB* of data in 16TB of main storage(RAM). While storing all your data in memory can be done, it's pretty expensive.

*only 4TB, not sure if this still exists. but I recall mainframe VSAM having a hard limit of 2GB in a file.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Was there a debate or something? [emoji12]

An alarming number of people don't seem interested in "facts", real-time or otherwise...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, this obviously has political ties, but I'm really thinking strictly in terms of logic and, well, I guess intelligence. So I'm putting it in the "other" sub-forum. Separate from any specific political debate or discussion.

Isn't "Real Time Fact Checking" an oxymoron? Actual fact checking means studying the issue, checking your sources, weighing the matter, considering other input, and probably running it by a committee for consensus to try to remove personal bias.

"Real Time Fact Checking" seems to come down to - this is what I think right now, as I speak, w/o checking and w/o anyone to play devil's advocate.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

The Beatles
Does anybody really know what time it is,
Does anybody really care...about fact checking

The fun starts at 1:42.

Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Also, in the justice system there is not a determination of innocence... the jury finds either guilty or not guilty.... not guilty does not mean innocent.... it means that the prosecutor could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt the person was guilty.... but it does not change the fact that the person either did or did not do whatever....
Actually - in some cases the judge can put in an motion of "factual innocence". I know because I was declared factually innocent in a jury trial. Jury acquitted me. Citing officers were shown to have lied on the stand (they were not allowed to hear each others testimony - and 3 officers gave 3 different accounts... significantly different... in order to "prove" I was guilty.) The prosecutor was pretty disgusted with the officers and agreed immediately to the motion.

I hope to never be a defendant again - but at least on that charge, I was declared "factually innocent".

See California Penal code 851.8.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Actually - in some cases the judge can put in an motion of "factual innocence". I know because I was declared factually innocent in a jury trial. Jury acquitted me. Citing officers were shown to have lied on the stand (they were not allowed to hear each others testimony - and 3 officers gave 3 different accounts... significantly different... in order to "prove" I was guilty.) The prosecutor was pretty disgusted with the officers and agreed immediately to the motion.

I hope to never be a defendant again - but at least on that charge, I was declared "factually innocent".

See California Penal code 851.8.
Well, we HAVE to know now...What did you NOT do?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

See .

Interesting... I had not heard of this before.... but from what you say the jury found you not guilty.... it took the judge to declare you innocent....

I wonder why the judge even allowed it to go to the jury... or why your lawyer did not request the charges be dropped...

I did take a look at the code you cited... and that shows that they have to destroy the arrest info... which to me is a good thing...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Not "real Time", but somewhat related - Google adding a "Fact Check" label to some news stories:

Google News battles era of spin with fact check label | TechConnect

https://support.google.com/news/publ...#fact-checking

Interesting, there is some mark-up capability to support this from a technical view, but I wonder how valuable this will be in practice. I don't see how they can prevent biased 'fact checking' - it's not easy to define, and it's not easy to get people to agree to what an unbiased view would be.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:18 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

The data behind the fact-checking--who takes care of that database?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
The data behind the fact-checking--who takes care of that database?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is that Latin for "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Well, we HAVE to know now...What did you NOT do?
Spill the beans, rodi!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

There's even a book on the subject now for Pete's sake!

https://www.amazon.com/Deciding-What.../dp/0231175078
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1025.JPG (27.3 KB, 7 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There's even a book on the subject now for Pete's sake!

https://www.amazon.com/Deciding-What.../dp/0231175078
Who's fact checking the book that's the definitive guide to fact checking?

This is a bad dream.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Spill the beans, rodi!
Here Rodi, let me help you along to your confession.

Once, while in college, I was going so fast, and so far over the speed limit, on a buddy's motorcycle, that the policeman who stopped me didn't give me a ticket...he took me to the county jailhouse. He didn't put in a cell; I think he just wanted to scare the bejeezus out of me (which he did). He let me go with a warning after my buddy came to get me (and his bike) and pleaded ignorance (my ignorance ).

See, we all have a little convict in us.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Romans? Friends? Countrymen?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #58

Quote:
The prosecutor was pretty disgusted with the officers and agreed immediately to the motion.
The only thing the prosecutor was disgusted with was the "FACT" that the officers didn't collude with each other before giving their testimony or the"FACT" that he failed to prep the officers before trial which is collusion on another level.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
The only thing the prosecutor was disgusted with was the "FACT" that the officers didn't collude with each other before giving their testimony or the"FACT" that he failed to prep the officers before trial which is collusion on another level.
And the data to support that conclusion is.....?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And the data to support that conclusion is.....?
Anecdotal life experience. Two officers from two different agencies giving verbatim testimony, yup, no collusion there I'm sure.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote