Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We'll have to find someplace to try one out (no Apple stores around here).
Best Buy and Target have them in our little berg...good luck. I think she'd really like the iPad, it's perfect for surfing & email IMO. I have not seen the Kindle Fire or the really new Nook Tablet, but they're prices are compelling.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Al:

Get the iPad, install Dropbox, drag your Calibre ePubs into Dropbox and start using Lena's tablet. Then you can explore what Lena needs.

By the way, I have a Nook Color which is similar to the new Kindle Fire. I like it as a reader and I like the email interface but I am not happy with it for browsing, RSS feeds, etc. I think you need a larger tablet like the iPad or Xoom with a more full featured browser to be happy with a tablet for general use. Also, both Nook and Kindle have limited apps. I did watch a video on the Nook on a plane and that was OK.

Edit after seeing your followup: she should try typing on someone's iPad. I suspect she will find that it is pretty easy for email. Maybe not so great for prolific forum posters - but she isn't into that, is she?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
? I'm pretty sure all the netbooks have a USB port for the keyboard, and some kind of display port for the monitor.

I bought a little ASUS 901 netbook in April 2009, and it support an external monitor and keyboard just fine.

-ERD50
I also need an ethernet connection, my network is hard wired. Last I looked I didn't see anything that had all.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I also need an ethernet connection.
My Eee (Asus) netbook has an ethernet connection port, along with the external video, 3 USB, and SD card slot.

Don't know what you mean by "hard wired"...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have a netbook (10"), a laptop (15" I think) and plenty of desktops, and an android phone (3.2" I think). I don't see a place for a tablet for me personally. I can't put it in my pocket so I can't carry it around everywhere (like my phone which has 3g and also wifi).

The netbook is easily portable, weighs a pound or two and is the size of a smallish hardback book. If I am going to be sitting in one place for an hour or two (meetings for work, killing time between meetings or appointments, auto shop waiting room, etc), I'll grab the netbook. Paid $200 retail a few years ago and still going strong with zero problems (software or hardware). Only complaint is it won't play HD video, so my HD video files that I watch on tv are not compatible. However if I am watching HD video, I want to watch it on a large display, not on a screen. Netbook is awesome because it is a laptop, just smaller yet still powerful enough to do all the productivity tasks I need (office suite stuff like excel/word/outlook/powerpoint, google docs, google calendar, internet surfing/research, etc). I have 3g data on the cell that can be a wifi hub to give my netbook internet where ever I go so I'm always connected (when wifi isn't available freely).

Downsides to my few year old netbook are the short battery life (1.5-2 hrs) and it can't do HD. Also, the power adapter is a little bulky given the small size of the netbook.

If I were looking today, I would probably get one of the $200-300-ish 11.6-13" netbooks/laptops that had a HD video card but still weigh around 2-3 lbs. Black Friday is coming up so I imagine you will see some. A big reason why I like the netbook or mini laptop over a phone or tablet is the keyboard. I can't stand to do more than a sentence or two on my phone. With a keyboard, even the slightly reduced keyboard on my netbook I can still hammer out long ER forum posts at 80 wpm.

The netbook has also been a good travel companion, making its way with us on cruises, to Argentina/Uruguay, and numerous other weekend/short trips for business and/or pleasure. If you fly much, it is small enough to stow in a bookbag, purse, or carry on bag, and not have a laptop case count against your 1 free carry on and 1 personal item limitation.

If I am working on a major task on the computer (which includes playing graphics intensive computer games), I'm using the 10x more powerful desktop computer with dual 20" monitors.

Obviously a personal choice based on what you intend to use the device for, and how mobile you want to be.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Obviously a personal choice based on what you intend to use the device for, and how mobile you want to be.
Exactly.

That's why I own/drive an SUV and a convertible; each has its use, under certain conditions ...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
My Eee (Asus) netbook has an ethernet connection port, along with the external video, 3 USB, and SD card slot.

My dell netbook has same features. I think they are fairly standard on all netbooks sold in the last few years.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #28
Administrator

If netbooks have improved connectivity and reasonable performance I'll certainly look once my laptop needs to be upgraded. Hopefully by then the tablet will have greater capabilities.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
It's how Luddites hook up their networks.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
A master recognizing a student? In spanish they say "Burro llamando al conejo orejon". Roughly, the pot calling the kettle black...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:

Reminds me of the old IBM2260 CRT's hooked up to a mainframe (360's) with "paddle cards" back in the early 60's (yes, last century - I'm showing my age )...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I started with computer, then bought laptop. Pitched the computer once I figured out I never used it after laptop purchase. Bought an ipad on a whim. After a couple days of transition, the laptop never came on. In the past few weeks, I have entered the world of mint.com and online banking. Oddly enough, I am turning on the laptop to use those sites. I dont like the short cut app on mint with Ipad. For just reading, you tubing, and emailing, I prefer Ipad. I especially love the 10 hour battery and the fact it doesnt generate heat on my lap. I might be an odd duck that actually prefers the Ipad keyboard to the regular one. Probably because I am a very efficient 2 finger typer.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not necessarily. There are times when one has access to a wired port and the wireless access is either not available or slow/weak.

In those cases, it is good to have wired as an option. Some might prefer wired for security reasons, but I'm not sure that makes a difference.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Luddite waiting on hold for tech support:

Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I hope it's the perfect toy for travel . At home I use a laptop but I refuse to lug it with me when I travel which is becoming more frequent . I'm usually ultra cheap but at $199 I'll try it .
I ordered one for DW and it it due to arrive on the UPS truck late today. She's picking up our 13 year old grandson from basketball practice after school and when they get home he'll probably race her through the front door to see who can get their hands on it first...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Luddite waiting on hold for tech support:

Looks like it's wireless ...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an iPad and use it primarily for camping. It has its limitations: no USB port and the Flash player thing can be a pain.

I like the touch screen and the connection speed.

I also bought a cradle for it, which helps a lot. Holding it for any length of time gets hard on the old arthritic hands at times.

I will be buying a decent laptop for long-term travelling.

Nui
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I found a place with a demo iPad unit, and we'll try it out on Saturday. But, if Lena likes the tablet idea, we'll probably consider the Kindle Fire instead.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I found a place with a demo iPad unit, and we'll try it out on Saturday. But, if Lena likes the tablet idea, we'll probably consider the Kindle Fire instead.
From Bogleheads this afternoon FWIW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude
I have an iPad, had a number of Kindles over the years, and a few days ago received a Kindle Fire.
I would ONLY read a book on an e-ink Kindle. The Kindle Fire and iPad are for different uses. I don't have one, but I would guess the same for the Nook (back-lighting is not good for long reading sessions).

Having said that, the iPad is fun for Word With Friends and checking my emails. The Kindle Fire seems to be fun for watching movies and TV while on the elliptical.

... to every thing, there is a purpose ...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
From Bogleheads this afternoon FWIW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude
I have an iPad, had a number of Kindles over the years, and a few days ago received a Kindle Fire.
I would ONLY read a book on an e-ink Kindle. The Kindle Fire and iPad are for different uses. I don't have one, but I would guess the same for the Nook (back-lighting is not good for long reading sessions).

Having said that, the iPad is fun for Word With Friends and checking my emails. The Kindle Fire seems to be fun for watching movies and TV while on the elliptical.

... to every thing, there is a purpose ...

DW and I have both the Nook Color (Fire equivalent) and the Nook Touch (which is like the e-ink Kindle). I prefer the Touch for it's light weight and excellent ease of reading in sunlight but I far prefer the backlit Color for reading in low light and particularly in bed. In low light I can dim the screen way down and comfortably read while DW watches TV. Even in bright light the Color is fine with the screen turned up high. Battery power goes decisively to the e-ink readers.

Bottom line for me is get a tablet if you want multi-use and/or multi-location reading. Get e-ink if you will only be reading books in well lit situations.