Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, probably, but the only advantages I see are faster, smaller, lighter, forward camera, and most of those won't make a big difference for Lena's purposes.
There is Skype and FaceTime you can use with the cameras.

Maybe not now but later you may know acquaintences with iPads or iPhones and you'd be able to video chat with them.

Skype video calls are popular with families who are apart from each other.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Just read that HP will be fire sale'ing its Touchpad for $79 (16G) on its eBay site on 12/11. If you want a cheap wifi Android tablet to see what the hype is about this could be the way.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Just read that HP will be fire sale'ing its Touchpad for $79 (16G) on its eBay site on 12/11. If you want a cheap wifi Android tablet to see what the hype is about this could be the way.
I think it's $99 ($79 is for the keyboard and other stuff bundle).
Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The HP Touchpad is NOT Android and will not run Android apps. It runs on WebOS. It is a good tablet, though but there is only a fraction of the number of apps that Android and iPhone operating systems have.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Right but I think with the fire sale, it sparked enough interest that they're working on putting Android on it.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #106

Yes, people are working hard to get android working on the Touchpad hardware.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Further, now that WebOS is open source, it will see developments from the community.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #108
Administrator

The young wife just received her Christmas present early - a Kindle Fire. So far, the biggest problem was getting it to sign on to our home WiFi network. That took so much time that she hasn't had time to try anything on it.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So far, the biggest problem was getting it to sign on to our home WiFi network. That took so much time that she hasn't had time to try anything on it.
That doesn't sound good. It took DW about 30 seconds to input the password and get her Fire on our network.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #110
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That doesn't sound good. It took DW about 30 seconds to input the password and get her Fire on our network.
With the Apple Airport Express router, the password is not really what you think it is. Took quite some time to figure that out.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #111

I think I am going to wait for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime to come out before I buy anything.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

The Nook Color (predecessor to the Nook Tablet) just released a new operating system that provides all or most of the features of the Tablet (on a lesser processor and RAM). It included a Netflix app. I can stream Netflix on my daughter's account. Looks great but I am not confident I will use it much. I do like the book reading.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #113
gone traveling

Quote:
The young wife just received her Christmas present early - a Kindle Fire. So far, the biggest problem was getting it to sign on to our home WiFi network. That took so much time that she hasn't had time to try anything on it.
Interesting. All I did was add the K-Fire MAC address to the allowed devices on our Linksys router and it connected immediately, with no other intervention required.

BTW, just to add to the discussion (since I've been using the K-Fire for almost a month), we have a desktop, laptop, netbook, and a "sub-tablet" (to me, that's what the K-Fire is; not all the features of what's on the market, but "good enough" for most things) and IMHO each device has it's positives and negatives.

I would be hard pressed to say one would replace all the desired features of all the other devices (ever try to carry a desktop through an airport?).

Luckly, each has its place to do the primary "job" it was intended to do.

Just my $.02.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
With the Apple Airport Express router, the password is not really what you think it is. Took quite some time to figure that out.

Here is what I've experienced, using different OS devices on different wireless routers at home:

Some devices will get on my network easily with my chosen security 'pass-code' ( like 'ERD50-NETWORK'). Others will only get on if I use the HEX$ equivalent of that 'pass-code' (something like 'ddef31abcde31fe9dc.....'). It varies with the type of security you are using and the devices, there a few variations (WEP, WPA2, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Interesting. All I did was add the K-Fire MAC address to the allowed devices on our Linksys router and it connected immediately, with no other intervention required..
It sounds like you are not password protected, but instead using MAC filtering. That's probably fine, but if a guest comes to your house, and wants access, you have to get their MAC address (they probably won't know it), then type that MAC address into your router config file. Pros/Cons.

edit/add - for those who may not know - MAC refers to Machine Address Code, nothing to do with the Apple OS at all.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Here is what I've experienced, using different OS devices on different wireless routers at home:

Some devices will get on my network easily with my chosen security 'pass-code' ( like 'ERD50-NETWORK'). Others will only get on if I use the HEX$ equivalent of that 'pass-code' (something like 'ddef31abcde31fe9dc.....'). It varies with the type of security you are using and the devices, there a few variations (WEP, WPA2, etc).
What settings cause the router to demand a hex equivalent of the password? How would "normal" people even figure it out? And can that situation affect only some devices on the same router? (E.g. I have, on occasion, been able to log on with one laptop but not someone else's even though both supported WPA2 or whatever I was using.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
What settings cause the router to demand a hex equivalent of the password? How would "normal" people even figure it out? And can that situation affect only some devices on the same router? (E.g. I have, on occasion, been able to log on with one laptop but not someone else's even though both supported WPA2 or whatever I was using.
Good questions/observations. To answer you fully, I'd have to go re-create the process and try some things and document it all, but I gotta run. But in general, YES - different devices on the SAME network would only log with one or the other form of password. And nothing but trial and error led me to figure this out. After 10 tries entering the passcode, figuring it was my problem, I tried the $HEX and I got in (but it is a pain to try to type that in w/o error). My (limited, but not zero) knowledge of networks did not help me one bit, other than the fact that I was aware there were two 'types' of password.

IOW - I don't think it is the router making the demands - it will accept either. I think it is the device that only properly works with one or the other.

Even though I'm a techie, and usually dig into this stuff just for the 'fun' of learning - when it comes to routers and networks, I pretty much just do/learn enough to get it working the way I want, then walk away.

Two reasons for that I think - one, these things are so 'black box' that sometimes I don't think the knowledge is all that useful, and a FW/SW upgrade on either end might change what you thought you 'knew'. It all depends on what the programmers did in that black box. Second, for many years I worked with equipment on various internal company networks, and they often ruined my day, night, weekend, week and/or month. I think I just have an aversion to networks at this point! The networks seem to feel the same way towards me sometimes.

I only know about the passcode/$HEX thing because at least one WL router either required the long HEX$, or maybe it showed it to you as you created the passcode, and maybe it told you to write it down or something. I really don't recall. But it works.

Hopefully, someone here can add to that, and maybe explain (if it is explainable), why some devices might work with the passcode (ASCII char) and other devices on the same network seem to only work with th $HEX.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I recently bought a Samsung Tab on the recommendation of my BIL and sister...

So far.... not that impressed... does not seem to do that much and it is hard to get from 'here' to 'there'... it is still new and I hope that using it as a reader or something easy it will be OK... but so far when I hit the screen, it seems to pick the selection above or below what I want...

It could be that I am just 'old' and not ready for the new kind of device... we will see....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #118
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It sounds like you are not password protected, but instead using MAC filtering.
I use MAC filtering plus WPA2-Personal (double bagger).

Better yet, I have no "friends or family" that come to my house (triple bagger) ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I use MAC filtering plus WPA2-Personal (double bagger).

Better yet, I have no "friends or family" that come to my house (triple bagger) ...
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Hopefully, someone here can add to that, and maybe explain (if it is explainable), why some devices might work with the passcode (ASCII char) and other devices on the same network seem to only work with th $HEX.

-ERD50
As someone who used to program the support for user interfaces, I can say with some confidence that devices that require odd things like $HEX entry of a password probably have a user interface designed and coded by a network engineer. The $HEX and ASCII versions of the password both turn into the same batch of 1s and 0s inside the router/wireless access point. The $HEX version is popular with network engineers because that's how it (and everything else) shows up on Ye Olde Protocol Analyzer when they're trying to figure out why the new prototype widget doesn't play nice with the rest of the network.

This is, of course, another fine reason why human interface designers exist, and should be able to have the last word on Things You Have To Type At.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote