Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
As someone who used to program the support for user interfaces, I can say with some confidence that devices that require odd things like $HEX entry of a password probably have a user interface designed and coded by a network engineer. The $HEX and ASCII versions of the password both turn into the same batch of 1s and 0s inside the router/wireless access point. The $HEX version is popular with network engineers because that's how it (and everything else) shows up on Ye Olde Protocol Analyzer when they're trying to figure out why the new prototype widget doesn't play nice with the rest of the network.

This is, of course, another fine reason why human interface designers exist, and should be able to have the last word on Things You Have To Type At.
Right. I suspect (but do not know) that the problem is in the various computers/devices trying to access the router. For some reason, they don't expect the passcode in that format for accessing that type of security, and/or don't convert the passcode to 1/0s properly.

Oddly enough, IIRC, it seems to be the Apple products that I have to resort to the HEX$ to get to work. My Linux computers, and things like Roku box, and WII (I assume those run Linux also) get through with just entering the passcode. This is with fairly generic routers, not the Apple-branded routers.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Right. I suspect (but do not know) that the problem is in the various computers/devices trying to access the router. For some reason, they don't expect the passcode in that format for accessing that type of security, and/or don't convert the passcode to 1/0s properly.

Oddly enough, IIRC, it seems to be the Apple products that I have to resort to the HEX$ to get to work. My Linux computers, and things like Roku box, and WII (I assume those run Linux also) get through with just entering the passcode. This is with fairly generic routers, not the Apple-branded routers.

-ERD50
As a data point..
my linksys routers work w/ my apple stuff ok. no hexology necessary on the passwords..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
edit/add - for those who may not know - MAC refers to Machine Address Code, nothing to do with the Apple OS at all.
-ERD50
Actually, I believe it's "Media Access Control".

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed, but it does provide one extra layer of security since the would-be attacker would have to know what MAC address to imitate (the address of your laptop) before gaining access to your network.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Actually, I believe it's "Media Access Control".

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed, but it does provide one extra layer of security since the would-be attacker would have to know what MAC address to imitate (the address of your laptop) before gaining access to your network.
Ahhh, you are correct, thanks for setting me straight (now, if I can only remember that!)-

MAC Address (Media Access Control Address) Definition

Quote:
Stands for "Media Access Control Address,"
Oh well, I knew it didn't refer to Apple Macintosh. Half credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
As a data point..
my linksys routers work w/ my apple stuff ok. no hexology necessary on the passwords..

I don't doubt you, but at some point, some combination of the Apple SW/HW and my router security modes required me to type in the 128bit HEX$ (26 HEX digits) to get in. I actually found my notes, so I know it was only the Mac OS systems and the Wii that required it at the time (my Linux systems got in with the ASCII passcode), but I don't have complete notes as to which OS version, but I noted that the router was using WEP 128bit 26 Hex digits (at least that is how I noted it).

I switched to WPA2 - Personal AES a year ago, and the Apples seem to get in with the passcode OK. So maybe this was a WEP problem only?

Lots of variables, and things may have changed since then, but it was an issue for me with that set up.

-ERD50
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Lena's computer just has to hold on for a few more days.

LenasComputer.jpg

The arrow points to a loose wire that's sticking out with it's insulation stripped.

Today the laptop dropped off the top of the entertainment center while she was printing something, and now the wireless connection is a little flaky. I've taped everything in place and told her not to move it.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Lena's computer just has to hold on for a few more days.

Attachment 13298

The arrow points to a loose wire that's sticking out with it's insulation stripped.

Today the laptop dropped off the top of the entertainment center while she was printing something, and now the wireless connection is a little flaky. I've taped everything in place and told her not to move it.
I nominate this for some kind of award.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget to get the data off if you don't already have it backed up.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I nominate this for some kind of award.
Good one! I wanted to say something, but was at a total loss

-ERD50
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

So what's the decision?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So what's the decision?
Her iPad 2 is under the tree.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Good choice but if the existing laptop bit it while printing, it should be noted that iPad will only print to certain printers.

The printers have to be networked either connected to the router or maybe have Wifi of its own.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Good choice but if the existing laptop bit it while printing, it should be noted that iPad will only print to certain printers.

The printers have to be networked either connected to the router or maybe have Wifi of its own.
Uh oh.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Well you can't directly connect the iPad to a printer by cable.

I think a printer connected by USB to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (wireless router) may work.

Printers, especially color ink jets, should be cheap, because the manufacturers charge a lot for the ink.

If you're printing text, a laser printer ends up being cheaper per page.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd bet you will both love the iPad...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

My nook Simple Touch just arrived yesterday. I was unable to register it using my home wifi. It would not take the password I had written down months ago. It's a Linksys wrtg54 (or something like that). In any event, I took it to work to finish the registration/set-up process and got a few free books from Barnes and Noble. Everything went smoothly. Not sure what is up with it failing to take the password at home. I started looking into MAC filtering, resetting the router, etc. But I just don't want to risk being without wireless for my laptop over Christmas break, so I'll likely not tamper with things right now. I've got plenty to read.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
My nook Simple Touch just arrived yesterday. I was unable to register it using my home wifi. It would not take the password I had written down months ago. It's a Linksys wrtg54 (or something like that). In any event, I took it to work to finish the registration/set-up process and got a few free books from Barnes and Noble. Everything went smoothly. Not sure what is up with it failing to take the password at home. I started looking into MAC filtering, resetting the router, etc. But I just don't want to risk being without wireless for my laptop over Christmas break, so I'll likely not tamper with things right now. I've got plenty to read.
I was just looking at Lifehacker's WIFI guide and noticed this tidbit that could possibly be involved in some of the access problems reported in this thread:

"One thing to note is that some Wi-Fi cards (in your computers) will have trouble connecting to a WPA2-secured network via 802.11n when you don't support multiple WPA2 algorithms. If you find that you or visitors have difficulty connecting via 802.11n, be sure to set your WPA2 algorithms to both AES and TKIP. This is usually represented as "AES+TKIP" or something similar."
Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #137
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've had the 8.9" Samsung Galaxy Tab for 2 months. I bought the WiFi only version and use my EVO 4G as my data connection. I'm very happy with it. Just large enough to type on comfortably and no larger. I would not consider an iPad... I'm too entrenched in Google products for that to make any sense at all.
GandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I was just looking at Lifehacker's WIFI guide and noticed this tidbit that could possibly be involved in some of the access problems reported in this thread:

"One thing to note is that some Wi-Fi cards (in your computers) will have trouble connecting to a WPA2-secured network via 802.11n when you don't support multiple WPA2 algorithms. If you find that you or visitors have difficulty connecting via 802.11n, be sure to set your WPA2 algorithms to both AES and TKIP. This is usually represented as "AES+TKIP" or something similar."
Thanks, I'll check that out.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got mine today. Lots to learn, but I'm really enjoying it! But explanade is right about printers. I have a state of the art Brother that's all set up for wireless, and the iPad will not print to it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Here are the list of printers that work:

iOS: AirPrint 101