Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'd probably e-mail an attachment to myself using the iPad and then open it on my laptop or netbook and print from that.
Unless Lena was going to do a lot of printing, this is pretty simple method to get stuff printed (or exchange files), and it is totally independent of OS and special apps. If you print often, it gets a bit tiresome.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd probably e-mail an attachment to myself using the iPad and then open it on my laptop or netbook and print from that.
Except that the laptop will be in the landfill.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Except that the laptop will be in the landfill.
Oh. Then I'd e-mail it to DH to print for me.

I don't think even the most ardent iPad-er would suggest it acting as one's only computer.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don't think even the most ardent iPad-er would suggest it acting as one's only computer.
Right, that's what we discovered. It's surprising to me, however, because with a few changes, I'd think it would work fine as a standalone computer. If, out of the box, you could just plug a USB cable in and print, and if you could browse network folders, Lena MAY have gone for it. OTOH it may have just been too "different" for her.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right, that's what we discovered. It's surprising to me, however, because with a few changes, I'd think it would work fine as a standalone computer. If, out of the box, you could just plug a USB cable in and print, and if you could browse network folders, Lena MAY have gone for it. OTOH it may have just been too "different" for her.
USB does seem like a no-brainer, for a printer and an external hard drive/mem stick. I assume Apple is trying to avoid canibalizing their desktop and laptop sales. That will work until other non-PC consumer electronics firms get a toehold with a great product.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are Android tablets out there with USB ports. But I'm not sure those are used for printing.

THe software support, especially for peripherals, is behind that for the iPad because iPad has much bigger sales.

As for accessing files on other computers, there is DropBox, which I haven't used but I know people swear by it for things like sharing PDFs between computers and iPhone/iPads.

I believe it's a free app./service. I think SugarSync is in the same vein.

With iCloud, which is a free service, you can also share files though I think you have to use apps. which support iCloud, so something like Pages would work.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

I was just reading that the Netbook market has collapsed due to the popularity of tablets. If the iPad doesn't meet Lena's needs, perhaps she could consider a deeply discounted netbook. Personally, I would not buy a netbook, since a decent laptop can do so much more.

The iPad printing thing is not a huge issue for me. I don't print much, and most of what I print would be documents in MS Office, which is not supported on iPad anyway. So the iPad's utility in the working world will be focused on electronic information transfer. The iPad's versatility on the fun side gives it a whole new place in my electronic toolbox.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
...So the iPad's utility in the working world will be focused on electronic information transfer. The iPad's versatility on the fun side gives it a whole new place in my electronic toolbox.
I wondered what you do with the medical records I imagine you are maintaining--they must end up in electronic files in your office. Duh.

I really think Steve Jobs didn't want the iPad to just be a next-generation computer but a whole new animal, so that's why it has no smart card drives, no USBs, no Apple-designed peripherals (including printers).
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

My organization now has the ability for physicians to securely access electronic patient records and diagnostic imaging on the iPad. We can't enter any information but we can see what's happening with patients. I haven't yet done this, but I've seen a demo. Apparently we use the Desktop app to "see" the screen but the device does not retain any information. Maybe the techies can explain it more clearly. I'll report back once I'm up and running with it.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #170

Probably streaming the graphics to it but not sending the files of the images themselves.

Or there are a number of screen sharing programs which let you log onto a computer and view the display output on that computer. Presumably the computer would be on a secure network while the iPad would connect to it via a secure connection like VPN.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If the iPad doesn't meet Lena's needs, perhaps she could consider a deeply discounted netbook. Personally, I would not buy a netbook, since a decent laptop can do so much more.
How so? I bought a cheap netbook a few years ago to take on a trip. It does everything my other computers do, except for having a slot for CDs/DVDs - but I can read/write those fine with a cheap external writer/reader plugged in the USB port. Built in Wifi, web cam, mic, bluetooth, keyboard, touchpad, drive space, sd-card slot, usb ports, external monitor port, ethernet port - what's missing (other than pure power in the CPU/graphics, but this is a tradeoff for size/weight)? And that was a cheap netbook - $280 a few years back (ASUS PC901 - kinda bulky compared to today's netbooks, but 8 hours battery life).

AFAIC, they should have tablets that are nothing but a netbook w/o a built in keyboard (add one thru USB or Bluetooth if needed). Just a netbook with a touchscreen. They're probably out there, I just haven't noticed.

Quote:
I don't print much, and most of what I print would be documents in MS Office, which is not supported on iPad anyway.
Solution:

Apple - iWork - Open, save, and email Microsoft Office files.

Quote:
iWork makes it easy to open, save, and share documents with anyone on a Mac or PC.

Open and save Microsoft Office files.

If someone sends you a Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file, you can open it in iWork. It’s easy to make Microsoft Office documents look great, thanks to the powerful graphics and formatting tools in iWork. You can also share your iWork documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with anyone using Microsoft Office on a Mac or PC. Just save everything you do in Pages, Numbers, or Keynote as a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file.

-ERD50
Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Today she researched and ordered this from TigerDirect for $279:

Dell D630 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, 14.1" Display, DVD-ROM, Windows XP Professional 32-bit (J001-140402)
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #173
Full time employment: Posting here.

The 14" is a very good size and I think she will like that. It should also meet most all of her needs. The only thing missing which she may not like is the screen resolution. Dell, like Lenovo have "not so stellar" screens - unless you order one with high resolution screen, which are pricy. They seldom have them in their refurbished store, and if so, it is with their XPS line. Lenovo uses a IPS screen in their high resolution laptops, but definitely not cheep. I am a screen nut, so it is important to me. Other people could care less, as long as they can read on it. Dell makes pretty decent computers.
Better than HP or Acer in my opinion.

As for using Drop Box with Android tablets, it is available to most all Androids as far as I know. I know two of mine have it.

What I find tablets useful for, is moving around the house with. If I have to input something in Netflix in the living room and need a computer, it is much easier to grab a tablet instead of lugging your laptop into the living room. Or if I want to watch streaming news while I'm in the kitchen or working at my dining room table where I don't have a TV, I can grab my tablet. (also good for the bathroom, but won't elaborate on this) With the 7" tablet, I can easily put it in my purse and take it with me if I'm going somewhere where I might have to wait, so that size is convenient. I don't care to type on my tablets, anything than navigating the web with it. I use my laptop for typing anything long.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #174

There is a Printbot app for Android that works very well with my Brother wireless laser printer.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #175

I'm looking into the Asus Transformer: an android tablet with separately purchased keyboard. The best of both worlds I think: tablet and, with attached keyboard, very much like a netbook.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #176

The keyboard dock for the Transformer is optional. It's like $150-200 but it does increase battery life because it also has its own battery.

The original Transformer may be going down in price because Asus has just released Transformer Prime (though they're getting litigation over that name, which is trademarked for a cartoon character and toy).

There are complaints about the build quality being poor. The backlight on the LCD is bleeding through and Wifi is said to be broken.

One thing you're not going to get from these smaller companies is the service and support. Does ASUS have toll free customer support and all the service centers? Or its own stores where people will help you?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #177

Well I took the plunge! I found a good online deal on the Asus Transformer ($470. for both tablet and dock) and decided it was a Christmas present to me I played with it for a long time at Best Buy yesterday and was strongly impressed. Can't wait to get it and "catch up" just a bit on technology. . .
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today she researched and ordered this from TigerDirect for $279:

Dell D630 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, 14.1" Display, DVD-ROM, Windows XP Professional 32-bit (J001-140402)
I think I have this exact laptop for work. Nice snappy little machine and relatively light weight. It is from a generation or two back in terms of processor, but is way more than adequate to handle routine tasks (internet surfing, HD movie/youtube watching, word processing, office tasks, etc).

Battery life on mine is near zero because the battery is 4+ years old, but I assume yours will have a replacement battery if it is a refurb. Less than 8 hrs battery life is probably the main downside for this machine.

To counter what Modhatter said re: screen resolution, I find the resolution and display to be great. It doesn't have super high resolution, but you are looking at a 14" screen, not a 24" monitor or 55" HDTV screen. More than adequate for casual users IMHO.

Re: the ipad - I used one a bit over Christmas. My mom received one from her employer and she uses it to (try to) surf on the web. My impressions were "neat toy" but I would never want one. It felt laggy and unresponsive when trying to quickly navigate on the web (like my phone). Dialog boxes and pop ups weren't rendered well on web sites (nothing fancy, all mainstream - cnn, walmart.com, bestbuy.com etc). Typing on it was easier than I expected, but only slightly better than swyping on my tiny phone screen. The kids did like playing some kind of game on it (so I see the appeal for six year olds!). The largish size makes it unwieldy for me as a portable device (won't fit in pocket or on belt). I have been playing a game on the desktop lately that is also available on ipad and android, and I'd like to try it on a tablet, but it likely wouldn't add much to the gameplay and the interface probably is more clunky than mouse/keyboard combo. Overall, cool toy but relatively useless for me and would be a 4th or 5th device in my line up (after the desktop, laptop, netbook, and phone in no particular order). Niches are already filled in my digital life! Add to that my inability to figure out or care enough to use itunes for anything and that seals its fate. Maybe someday I can get an android based laptop/netbook replacement that works.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #179

Well, after being offline for almost two weeks due to travel, then a missing power supply, then a faulty modem, then a faulty surge protector, then a faulty replacement power adapter, I bought an iPad. It is amazing and after a few hours using it the attraction became apparent in a way media cannot describe. The user interface is quite amazing.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, after being offline for almost two weeks due to travel, then a missing power supply, then a faulty modem, then a faulty surge protector, then a faulty replacement power adapter, I bought an iPad. It is amazing and after a few hours using it the attraction became apparent in a way media cannot describe. The user interface is quite amazing.
That was my reaction too, it's been far more satisfying to use than I ever imagined. Never planned to buy one, now I wouldn't go without...YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote