Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RE: printing from iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Uh oh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Here are the list of printers that work:

iOS: AirPrint 101
That's a stunningly short list, considering how many printer models there are. A wireless printer I recently purchased for a family member didn't make the list. Heck, the printer supports USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, works with mac linux, windows. Why can't an iPad talk to it?

I'm super impressed with what an iPad does and does well, but I'm afraid the limitations would drive me bonkers. I'll be waiting for something that supports ext memory cards and a reasonable set of ports and support for the things regular computers support (ex usb drives, ext CD/DVD readers/burners, scanners, printers, etc.). That will likely be an android device, someday.

But again, used within its limitations, it's an amazing piece of hardware with a lot going for it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

I heard there is a third-party app which supports more printers. I'd Google your printer model and iPad and see if there's a way.

Otherwise, printers are pretty cheap and almost disposable, like razors are compared to the blades where they make the money.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I heard there is a third-party app which supports more printers. I'd Google your printer model and iPad and see if there's a way.

Otherwise, printers are pretty cheap and almost disposable, like razors are compared to the blades where they make the money.
I bought an HP Photosmart E-printer when I got my iPad a few months ago. Used to print well from the iPad. Now it's at the disposable stage.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...I'm super impressed with what an iPad does and does well....
+1 - I was a witness in a court case last week. I read the first day's transcript (141 pages) on my iPad while I was waiting to testify on my second day. Plus review dozens of pdf exhibits. Plus email stuff back and forth with the office. Very functional for a small device.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

I got to play with a Kindle Fire yesterday, and I tried out a Nook Color about a week ago. They are slick devices with a lot going for them. However, both are slightly less intuitive and slightly more glitchy (touch screen was less responsive mostly) than the iPad2. And while I could read a book on either, there is no comparison for reading a magazine or larger format. iPad apps are great too, many for free. I am very glad I have an iPad having seen the competitors.

That being said, the prices for the Kindle and Nook are incredible and they are more portable, as is often the case you get what you pay for. I don't use mine to read books very often, if I did, you can't beat the B&W Kindle with eInk IMO. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here are the list of printers that work:

iOS: AirPrint 101
If I buy a printer server like this, shouldn't it work with any printer?

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Server-...=3UWNQLEQNSTG4
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It will work but it isn't a wireless device. You will have to route your printing through the internet to the printers URL. If the Ipad 2 has an ethernet port you could print over the LAN, but I don't see a mention of wireless in that ad.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

That is almost the price of a printer these days, isn't it?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

Midpack,
Take a look at the HTC Evo View 4 g (without monthly contract) or the same unit without
monthly service called the HTC Envy. They normally sell for between $400 to $600. but you will be able to pick one up for about $229 come January. I bought the View without the contract on a one day sale for $229, and I can tell you it is spectacular. It is a 7" form factor, which I like the best and I have them all including the 10". The screen is spectacular, plays flash, Netflix, Hulu and just about anything you throw at it. It has good speakers, SD card slot, usb, Bluetooth, hdmi , and talk about responsive. Just read the reviews on them. I have several tablets and this blows them all away. It can read Kindle books, Barnes & Noble, Library books, and anything that's out there. You can subscribe to video and audio pod casts and download them to you SD card when you get around to it. It is a real pleasure to operate. And as I mentioned to you the screen resolution will blow you away.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Midpack,
Take a look at the HTC Evo View 4 g (without monthly contract) or the same unit without monthly service called the HTC Envy.
I'm good with my iPad2 (love it), but I am sure your suggestion may be helpful for those who haven't already bought a tablet/reader already...

Old 12-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

After working with the iPad all day, she gave it a thumbs down. I've erased all the data, and we'll send it back tomorrow.

The main issue is that it really isn't a standalone computer. We can't print anything without jumping through hoops. She can't access folders on my networked laptop without purchasing another application. She finds that there are things that she can't do on some web sites.

Part of it may be that she doesn't like learning the new ways of doing things. The few minutes of playing with it at a store really weren't enough to evaluate it.

So, next it will be between a laptop and a netbook.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry to hear that, but hopefully you've found out with no dollars and only a little hassle. I thought a tablet would be a good fit for "90% of her use is surfing the net, looking at knitting stuff, and researching answers to questions for crossword puzzles. The other 10% is email." I personally use my tablet about 75% of the time, and my desktop the rest of the time. But all users have different needs, some apps simply require a full on PC for CPU power/RAM, storage space, peripherals, etc.

Tablets and smartphones are still 'satellite' devices with full on PC's as the center or 'digital hub in a digital lifestyle' and that may not change soon. I gather the industry vision is for "the cloud" to become the new digital hub, but I am not sure users will warm up to moving all their files and apps to a connected third party hard drive, there are files I can't imagine sharing. So having tablets as standalone devices may be at least a few years away...

Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....We can't print anything without jumping through hoops. ....
I certainly see the appeal of the iPad, but this would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
When we looked into laptop vs netbook a few years ago we chose the 15 inch laptop. DW loves it. She mostly uses it in the house. The battery is charged to 75% and then taken out and stored away (it's still like new because of this). She tends to use the laptop as a desktop so it's just always plugged in.

BTW, we bought an HP laptop and found that the buyer reviews on the HP site were quite helpful in narrowing down the choice. I went through the site menu to determine any features we wanted. Then I placed the order by phone just in case the tech/sales person might have some comment that would help in the purchase. If you don't get a person good in English on the phone, I'd just try again later when the US sales offices are open.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I certainly see the appeal of the iPad, but this would be a deal breaker for me.
I wouldn't want to depend on an iPad as a laptop replacement, because of this and for other reasons. But still, as an additional toy..... hmmm! Might be fun.

Quote:
She might just want another laptop, since she is used to having a laptop. It sounds to me like the best way forward would be to go shopping with her and let her pick out what she wants. Sounds like that is what you have in mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not having a problem printing to an eprinter - except it seems like l have to get new print cartridges a lot.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...She can't access folders on my networked laptop without purchasing another application. ....
I have been saving files to the cloud? (Apple idisk) from my mac and they are accessible from an iPad. But I don't really want to save all of my files to idisk. I'm going to try the FileBrowser app - it's supposed to access a network drive.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Well that's the printer companies because they make their money from consumables, not the actual printer.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm not having a problem printing to an eprinter - except it seems like l have to get new print cartridges a lot.
I'd probably e-mail an attachment to myself using the iPad and then open it on my laptop or netbook and print from that.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'd probably e-mail an attachment to myself using the iPad and then open it on my laptop or netbook and print from that.
That's a good idea - I do that when I have a day at work. I just email stuff to work and print it there. But at home I only have one printer, so it doesn't matter what device I use to print to it.