Join Early Retirement Today

Paid off Mortgage- Should I share?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Paid off Mortgage- Should I share?

I have paid off my mortgage really quickly- it took less than 10 yrs on a 30yr mortgage. I was able to really save even with just a moderate salary and I had put down a fairly big down payment.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to share this status with family members/friends or should I keep it to myself? Certainly it is very good news to share and I do not anticipate any negative reactions/problems, but at the same time I do not want everyone to think that I am Mr. money bags! (which I am not)

All things about ourselves do not have to be revealed. What do others think?

I am in late 40's and I think that I am going to have to continue to work full time for at aprox 7 to 10 more years and then maybe part time.

thanks for any comments!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Ours is paid off also....and I haven't shared this information with ANY family members. IMO, it is none of their business. However, if any of them point blank asked me if I had a mortgage, I would then tell them.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad View Post
I have paid off my mortgage really quickly- it took less than 10 yrs on a 30yr mortgage. I was able to really save even with just a moderate salary and I had put down a fairly big down payment.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to share this status with family members/friends or should I keep it to myself? Certainly it is very good news to share and I do not anticipate any negative reactions/problems, but at the same time I do not want everyone to think that I am Mr. money bags! (which I am not)

All things about ourselves do not have to be revealed. What do others think?

I am in late 40's and I think that I am going to have to continue to work full time for at aprox 7 to 10 more years and then maybe part time.

thanks for any comments!
Congratulations! We likewise don't have a mortgage and I'm proud of it.
However, I wouldn't go around telling everybody about it as they may see it as bragging. I told my folks on that happy day but they played a part in our success so I had to share it with them. When the topic comes up, DW will always blurt it out "we don't have a mortgage". I could just cringe! We're just diffent in that regard.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. I would keep it to myself.

Why do they need to know? How does it benefit you if they know?

I paid off my primary home mortgage at 38, but have 2 mortgages on my rentals that were my primary residence previously.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

We paid off our mortgage and DW and I kept it to ourselves. We did not tell anybody including the kids. Sometimes our friends will be "fishing" for our mortgage status and we just change the subject. That will leave them wondering about our finances.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

We had a really fun mortgage burning party with about 30 of our friends and a few family members. I felt like they needed to celebrate the 4 years it took to get our home paid off after we built it. We also thought that they could perhaps be inspired by our example. (Fat chance on that, I'm afraid)

We made fun invitations, had a simple dinner, and set fire to the paperwork in front of the fireplace with everyone cheering us on.

It was fabulous, and I wouldn't change a thing! And someone gave us an adorable Pig shaped piggy bank with "Mortgage" and a big "X" across it, made with a marker. We still use it every day!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

We'll help you celebrate. Congratulations! There, now, what could be more fun than that?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

We told our parents-discussed the pros and cons with them while making our decision. Hadn't intended to tell anyone else. But my older bro gave me to good of an opportunity:

I was visiting with him one day while he was working with a bank on a re-fi. He looked at me and said "Little Bro, the rates right now are outstanding. You should consider a re-fi." The look on his face when I said "Uhhh, we just paid off our mortgage last month," was priceless.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrad View Post

I was wondering if it is a good idea to share this status with family members/friends or should I keep it to myself? ...

thanks for any comments!
You shouldn't have even shared it with us! You'll start another one of those - should I pay off my mortgage or invest the money debates!

Seriously, congrats on having the financial discipline to save enough money to be able to pay off the mortgage.

Why tell family/friends? It's not their business, you'll probably come across as bragging. I can see no good coming from it. If you had that same amount of money in an investment account, would you feel that you needed to share that info with someone? Why?

-ERD50
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

Keep it to yourself.

DW and I built our house from ground up. It took us many years because we were on a cash basis. One sister is frequently stating how easy we have it without a mortgage and how rough they have it with a mortgage. Yeah, right. While they were buying new vehicles and taking expensive vacations, we were spending our money of building supplies.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erd50 View Post
you shouldn't have even shared it with us! You'll start another one of those - should i pay off my mortgage or invest the money debates!

seriously, congrats on having the financial discipline to save enough money to be able to pay off the mortgage.

Why tell family/friends? It's not their business, you'll probably come across as bragging. I can see no good coming from it. If you had that same amount of money in an investment account, would you feel that you needed to share that info with someone? Why?

-erd50
b-i-n-g-o
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim
We told our parents-discussed the pros and cons with them while making our decision. Hadn't intended to tell anyone else. But my older bro gave me to good of an opportunity:

I was visiting with him one day while he was working with a bank on a re-fi. He looked at me and said "Little Bro, the rates right now are outstanding. You should consider a re-fi." The look on his face when I said "Uhhh, we just paid off our mortgage last month," was priceless.

Awesome!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't keep my yap shut when we paid our mortgage off.

I didn't get a banner and string it across the house, but I did tell my family and friends...the ones who would be proud for me.

If you're worried about some looking at you like Mr. Money Bags, then share your accomplishments here. We'll celebrate with you.

Congratulations.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If you still have parents that you are close to and know they would react positively to your accomplishment, I think you should tell them as they would be mighty proud of you.

Congratulations!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

I did the same last year, 6 months before retiring. I keep it to myself but have shared with a couple of people in a similar position.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #16

Don't tell anyone. I told a few relatives / friends a long time ago and now I hear stuff like "It's easy for you to get by - you don't have a house payment". It's upsetting. I don't have these issues with friends / relatives that I have not told.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #17

I would keep quiet about it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The only problem I see with announcing your wonderful news is that it might serve as an unintended attractant to "hey brother can you lend me a grand?" type of requests.
If the news does get out, and you are approached for a loan, you can claim empty pockets because you did pay off the mortgage and it "emptied out" all your cash reserves. Sometimes a little white lie is needed to fend off unsolicited hard luck stories.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Don't tell anyone. I told a few relatives / friends a long time ago and now I hear stuff like "It's easy for you to get by - you don't have a house payment". It's upsetting. I don't have these issues with friends / relatives that I have not told.
+1...

That has been our experience with anything related to money - paying off a note/mortgage, getting a salary increase or promotion (when still employed), or doing anything from a financial standpoint that puts you into being "better".

Or maybe it's due to our family just suffering from a bad case of envy, due to their own personal circumstances...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I would only share with people having a similar level of financial success.