Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I understand it, the cd setup works considerably better than the web setup, so you took the right first step.

These sorts of things are almost impossible to troubleshoot on an internet forum. Heck, they're hard enough in person!

I take it the message about the "modem" is coming from your laptop. Your laptop does have a wireless connection, yes? Have you used it before? Is windows configured for the wireless network? Do you see a little pair of white boxes with a red "X" on them in the lower right corner? Did you enable wireless security on the router when you set it up?

Basically internet explorer will check to see if it has a valid open network connection and if it doesnt, it may be configured to try to dial up for one. So somewhere along the line we dont have a connection.

The router installation s/w doesnt set up the pc's connection. The configuration also only works well in a wired configuration, not a wireless one.

Have you tried plugging the little network cable that came with the router into both the router and your PC?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm. I have the ethernet connected from the pc to the router, the other cable from the router to my modem.

During the set up it says I am connected via the little computer graphics on the right corner of my desktop, but when I try to go online it doesn't connect.

I tried both the CD and the web set up... deleting the program and reinstalling it...

I'm sure I'm just missing a step somewhere, but their support stinks!

I've had a linksys up and running for the past 2 years and was looking forward to trying something new...

My laptop has an intel wireless card, and has been connecting fine/easily to the linksys (except for all the excessive dropping). A few times it could "see" the new one, but the signal was really low and wouldn't connect.

I told you I needed the Mac version! this might be simple for you, but not me...!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You do have the cable from the modem connected to the 'wan' port on the back and the computer connected to one of the lan ports, right?

Try turning the modem and the router and your computer off, then turn them on modem first, wait half a minute, then router, wait half a minute, then the computer.

If that doesnt work, try a factory reset on the box (see the manual, theres a little button on the back) and then try to connect via the LAN port like you have it set up now. If that doesnt work, try the "ez setup" instructions (again, different little button on the back).
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ah, I'lll try the restore...gracias el guapo conejito muy rizado