Palchohol~Cheers!

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Hmm seems like a good way to get by venues (airline, cruise ships, concerts, etc.) that block adults from bringing along their own adult beverage so they can over-charge them for the same libation.

I look forward to giving this product a try.:dance:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/palcohol-powdered-alcohol-approved-feds/story?id=29580363
This news story makes me glad I don't drink. If I felt the need to sneak alcohol anywhere like that, I'd feel.... desperate, dependant, resentful. :(

(Edited to add quote of post I was responding to, for those who didn't realize it)

Last edited:
That just sounds like a hoax to me. Alcohol is a volatile liquid, so I don't understand how you can dry it and still create alcohol.

This news story makes me glad I don't drink. If I felt the need to sneak alcohol anywhere like that, I'd feel.... desperate, dependant, resentful. :(

+1. They could rename it "Patheticol."

+1. They could rename it "Patheticol."

Don't hurt yourselves carrying all that judgementalism around.

My very first thought when I read it was that it would be a wonderful thing for backpacking. It's nice to have a drink in the evening watching the sun go down on a mountain top, but it's a real pain to have to haul all that extra weight up there.

That just sounds like a hoax to me. Alcohol is a volatile liquid, so I don't understand how you can dry it and still create alcohol.

Not a hoax at all. It is micro-encapsulated alcohol:

Molecular encapsulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to food chemist Udo Pollmer of the European Institute of Food and Nutrition Sciences in Munich, alcohol can be molecularly encapsulated in cyclodextrines, a sugar derivate. In this way, encapsuled in small capsules, the fluid can be handled as a powder. The cyclodextrines can absorb an estimated 60 percent of their own weight in alcohol.[1]

I guess if these are alcohol drinks that would have sugar in them, then the carrier would also replace some/all of the sugar. So the 'drink' can be carried in a pouch, and add water from any source.

My very first thought when I read it was that it would be a wonderful thing for backpacking. It's nice to have a drink in the evening watching the sun go down on a mountain top, but it's a real pain to have to haul all that extra weight up there.

Yes, it does sound convenient for campers, and a few other places. If the drinks are a mix you'd like, why not? I'm sure some people carry a tea bag with them, so they can enjoy some hot tea on a camping trip, or some other place rather than carrying a thermos of hot tea. Is that pathetic? :confused:

-ERD50

Meh, it's not very heavy. We carry it just under our haloes.

I don't camp or backpack, but I imagine people who do have been carrying old-fashioned liquid spirits for a long time if that's what they like (and seriously how much would you need to enjoy a sunset?). Wouldn't you have to carry the liquid to mix with the palcohol anyway?

Last edited:

Everclear ("dehydrated alcohol") does the trick nicely when backpacking. A bit of water, some Gatorade powder and voila!

Everclear ("dehydrated alcohol") does the trick nicely when backpacking. A bit of water, some Gatorade powder and voila!

And you can use it for fire starter in an emergency.:)

Screw the alcohol. If Rand Paul's legislation to change from schedule 1 to 2 makes it through maybe we will be able to carry our medical marijuana into concerts, et al.

Thanks Brewer,

Didn't realize they were alcohol based, some seem gel like.:eek: Interesting potential uses, and you're not wasting Everclear.

Hmm seems like a good way to get by venues (airline, cruise ships, concerts, etc.) that block adults from bringing along their own adult beverage so they can over-charge them for the same libation.

I'd try it for those purposes just to sneak one past the greedy overcharging outstretched hands. If I ever go by airline airline or cruise ship.

I'd try it for those purposes just to sneak one past the greedy overcharging outstretched hands. If I ever go by airline airline or cruise ship.

From the Palcohol website -

2. Powdered alcohol will make it easier to sneak into venues.
A package of Palcohol is 4" x 6"....almost five times bigger than a 50ml bottle of liquid alcohol so Palcohol is much harder to conceal.

"2. Powdered alcohol will make it easier to sneak into venues."

But you may have to duck tape the packages to your concealed parts of your body!:D

Last edited:
No need to buy the powder for airlines...as many of the small bottles you can cram into a quart ziplock. I've done it many times, no problemo.

Back
Top Bottom