Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pandora to Shut Down?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pandora to Shut Down?

According to the Washington Post, increases in per song royalties will affect all internet radio. What a shame!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081801893.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #2

yeah, it's too bad. i really like(d) pandora. i was going to get an iphone since
they made a pandora app available for it. now i guess i won't
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

Hope it doesn't, as I really enjoy listening to my "music genome".
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #4

I use it too- listening to it right now as I type.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #5

I'd pay $5 - $10 a month for the service. It surely beats radio for when I cranking out spreadsheets.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Radio Margaritaville will live on, and that's good enough for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quite a few of the freebie/cheap internet radio outfits will go out of business as a result of the increased royalties. Seems the record companies feel strongly that no money is better than some money, or that people will rush to find some other way to pay more for their products.

I wish them luck, they'll need it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I'd pay $5 - $10 a month for the service. It surely beats radio for when I cranking out spreadsheets.
The catalog might not be deep enough for many (I'm a simple man), but I love Rhapsody and I love synching it with my Sandisk Sansa.

I get a discount so it's $10, I think it might be worth it at whatever the regular price is right now.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #9

Looks like Pandora and other internet radio may be saved, based on recently passed legislation sent to President Bush.

"
Tim Westergren of popular Internet radio company Pandora Media said Wednesday that the measure removes a major hurdle to a final agreement on copyright royalty rates. "This is a substantial milestone for people who love music and musicians," he said.
Pandora, which is based in Oakland, Calif., has threatened to shut down if the rates set by the Copyright Royalty Board are not lowered."

Full article at:
Business & Technology | Internet radio bill clears Congress | Seattle Times Newspaper